Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: -74 mags for a .223

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I tried a promag 223 30 rounder out this week in south dakota while praire dog hunting it worked great at first but then it started to feed funny later in the day. Not 100% sure it is the mag as this gun is very modifed but it seemed if the feed lips wore or some thing. I did not really spend time to cheak the issue just switched to my bulgy mags. that once fitted to the gun work fine. They may all fit a bulgy weapon but that indicates to me that the Bulgy must have a very liberal mag well as there was a considerable diffeance in the length of my mags as well as the thickness of the feed lips and area just forward of the lips in the mags I have.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc308 View Post
    You can replace the followers in 5.45 mags to work in .223. Here is a link:PRICE LIST 2001 22 Feb

Just scroll down the price list. I use -74 mags in my Saiga .223.
    this is not for a saiga conversion (that do work) this is for a biy 5.56 basterd ak that Im making. I have 2 rommy 5.56 mages and they do not fit the -74 mag well with out opening up the well.
    muttman

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I tried a promag 223 30 rounder out this week in south dakota while praire dog hunting it worked great at first but then it started to feed funny later in the day. Not 100% sure it is the mag as this gun is very modifed but it seemed if the feed lips wore or some thing. I did not really spend time to cheak the issue just switched to my bulgy mags. that once fitted to the gun work fine. They may all fit a bulgy weapon but that indicates to me that the Bulgy must have a very liberal mag well as there was a considerable diffeance in the length of my mags as well as the thickness of the feed lips and area just forward of the lips in the mags I have.
    biggun,
    some place I have a pdf file on the mods to .223 promags that sombody posted. one of the things that was done was thin the sides of the mag just foward of the feed lips, and other small modes. Ill be hitting k-var up for some mags. thank for posting I was thinking promag would work and was ready to order.
    muttman

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

It could be the carrier. Check out the pics in the post by Rhino_66 on this thread. http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/5-56ak-25346/
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score

grendeljaeger,
    the funny thing is by hand my akm bolt will fit (with wiggle room) the 5.56 rommy mag but not my -74 mag with no mods to the bolt carrier. I I can find the file Ill post it here.

muttman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

i have a 223 ak i built, i have 3 223 promags and 5 bulgarian 74 mags and they all feed flawessly thru many k's of rounds, i used the 545 bolt and carrier with a 223 barrel

Feedback Score

I just found the pdf file on the pro mags. this might help sombody.

muttman
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.