Gunco Forums banner

243,260 or grendel for ak

5K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok,
the grendel has a certain cool factor, but lets face it, it's a propritary round and there is no real supply of ammo. Plus no true ak series mag to make it work. (223 should do ok but no evidence)

The 260 is known for its long range power and accuracy
the 243 aint too bad either.

bullet weight muzzle e/v 400 yard e/v 400 drop 400 drift
762x39 123gr 1520/2350 533/1392 41.5 27.6
6.5 120gr 1693/2520 885/1822 37.3 ?
243 95gr 1930/3025 927/2096 20.4 14.8
260 120gr 2913/2950 1190/2113 20.8 13.4
308 150gr 2648/2820 1382/2037 22.7 13.7

Purpose of gun:
white tail at no more than 400 yards

I have plenty of m-14 mags so feeding a 260 or 243 is no problem.
There may be a problem with 6.5 mags.
Barrels are expensive for 6.5
Take off barrels are cheap for 243, and 308
Ammo is plentiful for all except the 6.5

So:

Does anyone know the base diameter of a remington 700 barrel if I spin off the threads? >>>found it, .992"<<<<

Anyone think the yugo trunnion and bolt wont last against the 243?

anyone have experience with bent metal or cold steel solutions yugo receivers?

anyone have a link to pressures for the 243?

See less See more
#28 ·
There are 6mm PPC reamers on on ebay all the time in a varity of neck dia. I saw one go for $50 awhile back.
The PPC is possably the most accurate round ever designed. this is helped buy super close tolarance brass with small primmer holes. the round was almost exclusivly used in top end rifles and benchrest customs this helps the reputation because the guns would be good regardless of calibure. I have wanted to build one for awhile but to many other projects in front of it . there is also a..17, .20,.22 .25 6.5mm 7mm versions. I always thought the PPC with its parent brass being russian would kind of be fitting on a highly accurate all out AK build. It wouldnt cost much to find out as every thing but the barrrel and mag should be the same. no bolt mods or ejector stuff to change.

#29 ·
Sorry to take so long to answer vz58. Yes the mag does stick past the carrier and even a little past the bolt. However the hump on the hammer allows it to reach the firing pin without hitting the mag.

#37 ·
Welcome santanatwo, there have been 308 conversions, and like several others we are waiting to see how they hold up. Thanks for the concern, I think te points you have brought up are valid and, infact, have been brought up several times by many of us. Additionally, some of us reload and will be using reduced charges in these guns.

#38 ·
http://www.gunco.net/forums/f244/308-ak-18443/

Go back several years read all the posts from this area. I understand your concern however there is a lot of thought put into these as stated above. the CIP pressure test are at a higher pressure than the the SAMMI. a two lug 308 ak would LIKELY pass a SAMMI proof test.

I have yet to see any proven account of a ak bolt failing ever (excluding sabotged explosive loads) except due to obstructed barrel this included calibur conversions. while this proves nothing it does give credit to the strength of these parts.
I have loaded standard 7.62x39 up to the point of blowing primers (do not attempt this ) and likely well over 60,000 PSI. again I am not recominding this practice but just pointing out that even an abused action holds up.

the formulas you are quotin are valid regarding the increase in case head differance and the differance in pressures. in fact this site is the first that posted the formulas and numbers regarding AK,s AND CONVERSIONS TO 308 on the net to my knowladge. the only area that these facts dont prove is what will the AK action hold up to. these facts and figures only prove that the action is being subjected to a higher pressure. they do not prove that the action is not capiable of handeling it safely! again read everything in the calibur conversion area. my original thread on a 308 AK conversion is like 4 years old.

THE $64,000.00 QUESTION IS AND REMAINS, WHAT IS THE SAFE WORKING PRESSURE THAT THESE ACTIONS CAN HANDEL!
IT HAS BEEN SAID THAT THE RUSSIANS WENT TO A 3 LUG DESIGN DUE TO THE 2 LUG FAILING THE EUROPIAN PROOF TESTS. ( SOME WERE THOSE PRSSURES ARE STATED) THOSE NUMBERS ARE WAY HIGHER THAN ANYTHING THAT A NORMAL LOAD WILL EVER PRODUCE SHORT OF AN OBSTUCTED BARREL.

the guys who have built these have yet to report even a increase in head space on a build.
I personaly was very sceptical as well when I propsed a conversion years ago.

I hand load and I have posted near maximum loads for the 308/ 7.62x51 that are actually at or below the pressures of a 7.62x39. the winchester powders come to mind.

it is obvious that you are not a fool and every fact you stated is likely correct. just keep an open mind untill you review all that has been said here. welcome to gunco. I hope you post some pics of your stuff.

#39 · (Edited)
I'll throw something else out here. Anyone ever see a Remmy 788? One of the guys at work brought one in for me to take a look at because it was very hard to push the bolt down to lock. Three rows of three SMALL lugs in a 7mm-08 at the REAR of the bolt. From the wear the middle lugs were not even touching, just the front and back set. To me the receiver would be the first to let go because of the cutouts for ejection and for the magazine. (The problem was from the trigger pack being loose and letting the front of the sear hit the rear edge of the bolt, not from the lugs).

Here is a good thread to read. Very interesting.

Ikonboard Message

Don't know whats up with the link. Look in the Your Projects section for the thread " Home built bolt action" by Heathydee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.