Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 243,260 or grendel for ak

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

These work?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

So nice oh so nice. when I insert my mag, it appears the tail of the bolt is over the back edge of the mag (too short) is this the case?

Feedback Score

From looking at things, the 6 PPC would work pretty good with a barrel change. You could likely use the stock magazines as OAL for both cartridges is approx 2.19in. It's doubtful that you'll be able to load up 30 cartridges tho. Modifications to the bolt and maybe the ejector would be all that is needed.
    Add a 24 inch barrel and you have a poor man's PSL.
    Last edited by Buick Guy; 05-11-2008 at 06:57 AM.
    If the left can make a cowardly mass muderer like che guevara a hero, I can make PinoCHEt mine.
    (That is not my Buick in the photo)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the 6mm ppc is doable. the stock mag likely will not work as the ppc round does not have the taper. a straighter 223 mag with a 7.62 follower might work as well. I have a 243 barrel I was considering rechmbering for the ppc awhile back then I got side tracked . Ammo is really pricey. I have heard of guys forming it from 7.62x39 but it reguires some expensive forming dies. A no neck turn/looser chamber would be likely the way to go. feeding the ppc is said to be tempermental in a auto loader due lack of taper and the neck angle but the round is very close to the grendal and there are 6mm PPC th AR uppers that do it as well.
    the 220 russian is another one that would likely be just a barrel change but $$$$ to shoot

Feedback Score

ahh guys

slighlty off topic

and maybe a noob question(yea I am a noob )

would the 6.8spc not be doable at all in a ak build??

a guy over at ktog.org redid a KT SU 16 into a 6.8 is the reason I ask

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

6.8 is doable Im going to open a 223 bolt up on mine. I have a heavy stainless rem 700 barrel. the Mags are a challenge as none of the factory stuff works. may adapt a AR Mag designed for the 6.8.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    the 6mm ppc is doable. the stock mag likely will not work as the ppc round does not have the taper. a straighter 223 mag with a 7.62 follower might work as well. I have a 243 barrel I was considering rechmbering for the ppc awhile back then I got side tracked . Ammo is really pricey. I have heard of guys forming it from 7.62x39 but it reguires some expensive forming dies. A no neck turn/looser chamber would be likely the way to go. feeding the ppc is said to be tempermental in a auto loader due lack of taper and the neck angle but the round is very close to the grendal and there are 6mm PPC th AR uppers that do it as well.
    the 220 russian is another one that would likely be just a barrel change but $$$$ to shoot
    Wondered if a lack of taper would make a big difference. I also saw the chambering with the ARs in 6 PPC. Figured if they could get the AR to feed the 6PPC, an AK should be doable. IIRC the no neck turn case is sold by Sako and called the 6PPC USA.

Found a source for the brass-19.95 per box of 20 casings tho.
    Item Details

Here's a link to 6PPC cartridges and cases.
    Sako Ammo & Brass, Lazzeroni

Here's a site with cartridge diagrams and info on the 6PPC.
    6PPC Cartridge Guide
    Cartridge Diagrams

Here's Lapua Russian 220 brass.
    Lapua 220 Russian Brass for Reloading 100

Midsouth?LAPUA AMMUNITION & COMPONENTS?220 RUSSIAN BRASS 100RDS
    If the left can make a cowardly mass muderer like che guevara a hero, I can make PinoCHEt mine.
    (That is not my Buick in the photo)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

There are 6mm PPC reamers on on ebay all the time in a varity of neck dia. I saw one go for $50 awhile back.
    The PPC is possably the most accurate round ever designed. this is helped buy super close tolarance brass with small primmer holes. the round was almost exclusivly used in top end rifles and benchrest customs this helps the reputation because the guns would be good regardless of calibure. I have wanted to build one for awhile but to many other projects in front of it . there is also a..17, .20,.22 .25 6.5mm 7mm versions. I always thought the PPC with its parent brass being russian would kind of be fitting on a highly accurate all out AK build. It wouldnt cost much to find out as every thing but the barrrel and mag should be the same. no bolt mods or ejector stuff to change.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sorry to take so long to answer vz58. Yes the mag does stick past the carrier and even a little past the bolt. However the hump on the hammer allows it to reach the firing pin without hitting the mag.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

gotcha looked at that this morning. thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.