Thread: gas port problems.

Feedback Score

Default gas port problems.

I have in hand a new 5.56 barrel from k-var and it is set up to use a 90deg. gas block. I have a AKM gas block and would like to use it. the rub comes in with the location of the gas hole on the barrel. if you look at the photos the hole ines up with the cross pin location witch is too far back. I could eather plug the barrel hole and use the gas block as a guide to drill a new hole, or do the reverse of what hcpookie did with his barrel/ GB. plug the "tube" of the GB and drill a new hole in the GB at 90 deg. and line up on the barrel this would require some fitting of the piston tube and a shorter piston ( not more than 1/16") to get the corect timing of the piston to GB. tell me hwat would you do and how.
    thanks muttman
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Mod the block and piston I dont loke welding up gas ports. what is the rest of the build like? what kit and bolt, trunion ect are you using?
    MY 5.56/223 build is my favorite build shot it the other day and this it how it did.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I agree with 1biggun about not plugging the barrel. You might try to find another barrel that will work with the gas block or even one undrilled and drill it your self.

Feedback Score

1big gun,
    k-var (bulgy) barrel, bolt head and FCG; (rommy) bolt carer, trunnion's, mags; (chicom) safty; (russian) sight block{ I think}; the piston will be by me and the stock parts from tapco and akpartskit.com. I will get a flash hider from DPH or by me. aka mutt gun. btw, nice group in the photo........
    555th,
    new barrel is not fe$$able at this time nor is a new $55 GB from k-var. I think I will try the GB tube plug and shourt piston this will take longer but work better in the long run.
    thanks to all. muttman
    Last edited by muttman; 05-26-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: verbage

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Been there, done that. There are exactly 2 ways to go about it, and I've done both:

1. Tap the hole with threads, screw in plug, file flush

2. Spot weld the barrel

Spot welding the barrel actually isn't so bad, so long as you don't apply too much heat. I did this to a cheap beater of a Galil barrel, and it groups well at 100 yards. I think the barrel hole is so small it doesn't take that much heat to plug it. To be honest, I don't really know if I actually kinked the barrel like I reported in that one thread. I'm starting to doubt my memory of the pre-weld condition. It groups well at the range, so I really don't care at this point. As someone pointed out, I think if it is kinked, it is "set" in the kink and won't "wobble" around.

The tapping is probably better, so long as you can find a small enough tap. The barrels are only surface hardened, and once you get past the hardening it is easy to drill. Therefore you may want to open up the hole and go that route. If you do, don't use a threaded rod - you need something with a head that will keep the threaded "plug" from creeping down into the barrel over time. My 45-degree plug is stuck in place because it can only be physically rotated if the gas block is removed, since the one side is higher in the hole to make it flush with the outside of the barrel. A 90-degree plug would have the freedom to wiggle down into the bore over time, even with loctite. Therefore you need something that looks like a countersink screw head to ensure it will stay in place.

Now there is something I want to point out.

The 45-degree gas block was replaced with the 90-degree gas block because the 45-degree hole, being a big oval in the barrel, acts like a cheese grater and will shave off the jacket. In fact, the very barrel I was talking about has a nice little copper buildup around the gas port hole after the gas block was removed - it actually did it enough that it formed copper residue OUTSIDE the hole. I presume gases were pushing the copper out the gas port until the pressure dropped, causing the buildup.

The point is, that you may want to reconsider using a 45-degree gas port unless this will be a pistol build, where the jacket (and accuracy) isn't so critical.

Food for thought!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Tig it up and redrill. Mig will work also. I have done it both ways. When you are thru welding, do not quench just let it air cool.

Feedback Score

all,
    I taped the g/b and instaled a 10-32 set screw in the block. I will re drill the gas tube in the gas block at 90 deg. this alowes me to reuse the gas block ( with a 90, 45 deg. gas tube) and use the same gas hole in the barrel with small mod's to the piston and the piston tube. this should work and retain the look that I would like. when I get the new hole drilled in the gas lock Ill post more photos. muttman

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.