Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 9mm AK my way

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I attempted to test fire this weekend and it no worky
    well that sucks, hope you get it worked out
    I have been eyeballing the charge handel for a place to attach a axularly pump grip for my semi auto/pump combo idea that will cycle hi velocity ammo SA and would have pump for subsonic ammo also eliminating action noise . need a way to keep the pump from going back and forth in sa mode. your charge handel modifed may work.

Feedback Score

Default Pic's

Afroman
    Great thinking and great concepts on this build. Please send me pic's so I can post them on our site once you get it finished. Love the safety and cocking handle.

I have sold a ton of mag wells but no one is sending back pic's of their completed work. Is anybody building anything with them besides Afroman??

I made another run of mag wells last month and have some in stock. Also have five PPSH41 mag wells left. Copes is now selling flats for the 9mm conversion.

Rodger Lichtenberg
    lichtenbergresearch.com

Feedback Score

Awesome, I love the g3 setup. Hope you get the bugs worked out. By the way, I still have that 7.62x25 barrel if you still want it.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Afroman, do you have a picture of the cocking handle bits laid out in order? I've no idea how a CETME setup works, and I'm drawing a blank as to how it looks inside the slotted gas tube.

Feedback Score

This is what I would like to try with my suomi

Feedback Score

Any luck on that thing?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

No luck here. Afroman appears to have dropped off the web, at least under that name. I still haven't figured out how he managed to do a non-reciprocating bolt handle. It might be blazingly obvious to someone who knows how a CETME is laid out, but the tiny, low-resolution exploded views I've found have left me as clueless as I was before.

The Indian INSAS also had a non-reciprocating bolt handle on the gas tube, but I haven't found any exploded views of that, either. What little I've found on the INSAS is in a thread in the general forum.

I've been wondering if the non-reciprocating part is really necessary. I didn't like the idea of gick getting into the gas tube, but... the gas tube gets filled with powder residue anyway, and the gas puffs would then to blow stuff out, and there are no tight-fitting bits there to cause problems. And the slot is a whole lot smaller than the giant cut-outs on the left side bolt hacks.

I'm primarily interested in the gas tube bolt handle because want the handle on the left, and I don't like the big cut-outs most left-side conversions use. Some Valmets and Galils had left-hand bolt handles, and they used spring-loaded doors that slid down as the handle came back, then popped back up.

The sliding door arrangement closes off just about everything, great for operating in a sandy environment. If I could buy the bits and fit them to my gun I'd think about it, but for some reason I don't want to mess around with that kind of fiddly bits, making springs, etc.

Here are some images of the Galil - the sliding door is hard to see in this picture; it's held by the two big-headed rivets or washers, with a ramp at the front for the handle to shove it down as it cycles. I can't find the Valmet picture at the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

TRX, look at Afroman's first post in this thread, the G3/CETME cocking handle and cocking piece are shown in the 5th picture down. That's all there is, the cocking piece is a short plug that fits inside the cocking tube. The cocking handle fits inside a slot on the plug, a cross pin lets it pivot and a small spring keeps it folded against the cocking tube when released. BTW, in the 5th pic he has the handle in backwards, the next picture shows it properly installed. At the front of the slot in the cocking tube is a stud, the handle snaps over it and is retained in the forward position until it is unfolded. The inside end of the cocking handle bears against a bulkhead in the front of the cocking tube, when it unfolds it pushes against that bulkhead and levers the cocking piece rearward a bit as the handle unfolds. On a G3/Cetme this is necessary as this lever action is needed to pop the roller system open, it requires a bit of force. Once the handle is unfolded, pulling it to the rear simply shoves the carrier rearward as the cocking piece moves back in the tube. At the rear of the cocking tube is a cutout that lets you rotate the handle upward and lock it rearward.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

So what's the relationship of the CETME bits with the head of the gas piston? Does the head of the piston go through the CETME thingamabob? Or does only the shank of the rod slide through it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Both the G3/CETME designs and this 9mm build are blowback operated, there is no gas piston that enters a gas block and no gas port. On the G3/CETME the carrier simply has a hollow tube that enters the cocking tube and abuts against the cocking piece. Think AK carrier with the gas piston removed and a step inside to capture the recoil spring. On the 9mm AK the piston is just there to give the cocking piece something to push against, it is shortened so it rests just behind the cocking piece when fully forward.

BTW, the G3/CETME is called a "roller delayed blowback", the roller mechanism delays bolt opening until pressures have dropped. IIRC, a straight blowback .308 would require a 30+ lb bolt to resist opening long enough, the rollers allow the weight to be a pound or so.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

2xtm 9mm
2xtm images

9mm ak trunion

ak rail welding
how to make 9mm ak 2xtm bolt that works
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.