Gunco Forums banner

BUILDING A NEW VARMIT AK.

4K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
I am in the planning stages of a new 223 varmit build. The varmit II will be an all out attempt at out doing my previous build. I am starting to collect parts and think about how I want it. I bought a match grade, benchrest barrel in 1in 9 twist. This barrel is beautiflly machined it almost seems a shame to cut the threads off it. the thight chamber is possably going to cause feeding issues as well it will require neck turning of quality brass . I am going all out on this build. match barrel, heavy wall reciver, yugo trunion. heavyer scope mounts, milled drop out trigger group that is eaiser to adjust. possably a second trigger group that is set up for singleshot only in the 1 pound or less range the trigger group will also have larger more percisian pins, push button saftey, left hand charge handel so shell catcher wont hit or be in the way, longer mag well an custom mag so I can seat heavy bullets further out like the AR guys do in 1000 meter compition but mine will not have to be hand feed, aluminum float tube fore grip, adjustable muzzel brake (possably if accuracy will not be affected), aluminum gas block with stainless linner and a shut off, also looking at smaller, lighter firing pin posabilitys and a some way of reducing the lock time on the hammer as well. the stock is up in the air but I want a quick adjust rear rest on it and a way to add weight. I am thinking a custom dust cover that will allow easier removel with a even lower scope. I want to get the scope as low as possable to the barrel. it will be a while before it is done but I will post pics unlike the last build. I aqm posting this in the calibur conversion section because It will be on a 7.62x39 kit and parts. the bolt will be Kvar bulgy.

are there any threaded trunions for a stamped reciver out there avaliable??? was there even such a animal? was thinking a threaded barrel wold be a good idea as it will not have as much stress and tension on it. I am thinking of finding some place were this thing might be competive in a class against AR15,s. I dont compete in rifle shoots but might like to try. maybe 1000 meter or WHAT?? any compitition shooters out there. also looking at a 22 PPC barrel as well.

See less See more
#31 ·
How about a straight pull bolt action AK?

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/7-62-melon-buster-37901/

My thinking is something along that line. One piece of tubing for the receiver. Bolt in trunnion so that if you wanted to change calibers just unscrew and swap in different trunnion and barrel. Tubing extends past trunnion for handguard/bipod mount with some type of dust shield. Bolt handle on left side so not to break grip cycling. Heavy or bull barrel. Trigger pack that is in a module. Stock pivots or removed to allow bolt and maybe trigger pack to be removed from the rear of the reciever. Not much left of an AK except the trunnion, bolt, and the carrier.

#33 ·
Gunter I like that build but I need it to be semi auto for this. In a way it is very simular to what I had before I added the gas block and tube. I hunted Pdogs the first year as a pull back only it shot about the same as it does now. it had a floating barrel the fore grip is supported by a milled plate going to the reciver and it is a screw build. I was thinking of building it into a 17-223 with a spare barrel assemly instead of an entire new gun. I have also been kicking around a downsized bolt action 50 cal AR upper in some thing like 300 mag.

Pull back only no gas block

DYI using a stub from a milled kit can be done and is a good idea I think I mentiond I could do that some were above. I would like to get a threaded stub and maybe build a swith barrel set up with a barrel nut like a savage bolt action. Anyone got one?? I would like the rear stub also then I would just weld it back with repair plates. I have a millled yugo pined barrel that could be done this way. it would certainly take reciver flex out of the picture and possably answer some questions HMMMM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.