Thread: 7.62x39 improved &30 PPC data

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default 7.62x39 improved &30 PPC data

An improved chamber will still allow standard round to be shot,but will also fire improved rounds that will perform a little better and likely be more accurate as well. Might be the ticket for hunters who need just a little more speed out of the 7.62x39. there were some contenders in this as well

http://www.ar15barrels.com/tech/762x39imp.pdf

some mini 30,s have been done in this. also the .25x39 and a few others

http://www.ar15barrels.com/tech/762x39imp.pdf

the 30 PPC is interesting but data is scarce

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You know while at the hotel last week I was going through a bunch of 7.62x39 accuracy discussions on different forums, and the concensus is that x39 ammo is just as accurate as you would expect it to be ***IF***, and here's the caveat - *IF* you hand load it. Many people that have x39 barreled rifles like the single shots have reported exceptional accuracy with hand loads, but marginal, AK-style accuracy with factory stuff.

I've seen that reported consitently over the past few years. I for one am unwilling to hand load for the AK because ammo is still cheap right now compared to reloading, and you will have a hard time finding good HP or FMJ bullets to reload. I can't think that anyone right now sells 123gr FMJ. No matter, it seems that this round has some potential if one of the cartridge companies would sit down and spend some time making, for lack of a better term, "match grade" ammo.

To the point of the x39 imp and the .30 PPC, both of those look very interesting! I'd like to see some specs on their performance.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Hornady, among others, make a 123 grain FMJ. MidwayUSA - Hornady Bullets 7.62x39mm (310 Diameter) 123 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 100 (Bulk Packaged)

123 grain bullets are fairly common. What I'd like to see is a 100-110 grain size in soft point and a thin jacket that promotes expansion.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yea a 100-110 grain V-MAX would be awsome and make for a fun mid range varmit round. there are 125 gr vmax in .310 i have some. Im collecting parts for a bolt action 7.62x39 with a quality barrel.
    the round is unfortunatly just on the light side for deer hunting. and that leaves a lot of guys wondering what to do with 7.62x39 bolt actions. the 308x39 and improved versions would allow for any 308 diamiter bullets and bores but as HC mentions it is a handload only deal.

for what its worth improved chambers can fire the original round as well. in fact that is how most reloaders expand there brass. the improved round head spaces the same. I have reamers now but may look into a match or improved reamer in the future.

its a shame the 7.62x39 round is not just a little faster. if it could match the 30 bench rest or the 308x1.5 barnes or the 300 savage it would be a true performer. I want 2500 fps with a 140-150 grain bullet and the original wont do it n o matter how hard you push it. every one cites the 30-30 as a comparable round but its not and the 30-30 is marginal past 200 yards for what I want it for. and yes im aware how many deer have been killed with the 30-30. still dont make it a great round for it.

it seems that this round has some potential if one of the cartridge companies would sit down and spend some time making, for lack of a better term, "match grade" ammo.
    would love to see it but the lack of match grade guns prevent it. most owners of bolt actions reload for this round. kind of a chicken or the egg deal. no guns for ammo no ammo for the guns. I have a few AK,s that shoot 7.62x39 under 1" at a hundred but that as good as its going to get with a factory chamber. I am working on a accurate 24" barrel ak rifle but its down the road a bit. and it will be a sporter weight barrel. lots of heavy blanks out there ii 308 bore for a guy wanting a sub 1 moa ak. would love to build one like my varmit build in 30 cal for out to 250 yards.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

some talk and info here
    7.62X39 Improved - Shooters Forum
    these guys claming 2500 FPS

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.