Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: biy lower rails for .308

Feedback Score

Default biy lower rails for .308

did or hase sombody made a guess as to ware the ejector should go I have the print off of hcpooikes page and the hook is 29.xxmm from the front end and this is too short to eject a non fired round. if I put the ejector at 50mm that should be close to were it needs to be right?

thanks muttman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I can check a little later today... to be honest, I hand-measured it so that a loaded non-firing round can be ejected, and compared that to my other rifles' ejector locations doing the same thing. I think I gave it an extra .25 inches, but I'll check to be sure. I just got back from a flight and I'm running a little behind.

Feedback Score

pookie,
    thanks but I went and milled out the rest of the left rail and set it back to 1.6" as you can see by the photos if Im too far back then I need some more q-time with the mill. let me know if I went too far back with the ejector when you get a chance.

thanks muttman
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sorry for the delay.

A few points to make -

- I set the ejector back far enough that the tip of the bullet is just at the front of the locking lugs on the trunion. That gives adequate clearance, even if you're using a non-spec longer bullet.

- The ejector was made just like the AK-47 style ejector, same length to centerline, but only farther back.

- Note the top cover had to be cut away for the longer cartridge, otherwise it will hit it and possibly cause stovepipes. I left a tab when I cut it and will heat it and hammer the edge inward so that the final result is a rolled edge just like factory. For now, I have to watch it when I cycle the action because it is still sharp!

I didn't get a chance to actually measure it, but hopefully this helps you out:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK...s/100_0694.JPG

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK...s/100_0695.JPG

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK...s/100_0696.JPG

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Here's a blurry pic of mine. I was going to measure it at lunch and forgot. I can measure it tonight and post in the morning if you still need it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hc does your build dent up the brass on the edge of the cover during ejection? I have had to resort to gluing a piece of vacume line cut down the center on my covers edge to save the brass from being dented. I didnt roll the edge and its not trimmed back very far. was wondring if trimming it back more would help or if it still hits . Im positive it is hitting the cover were it curves down. does the siaga 308's dent brass?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yes, mine dents it but the dent is a very thin crease. I have not yet attempted to fix it, but the rubber hose trick is on the list, as I have no intention of buying a Valmet buffer. The crease is small enough that I can still reload it with no problem. I normally full-length resize anyway.

Based on other peoples' work with PSL ejectors, I would expect that you could modify the ejector enough to alter the direction of the ejection path, and therefore reduce the amount of force that it hits the top cover.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I forgot to mention that I had to modify the back end stem of the bolt so that the stem won't drag along the relocated ejector and cause misfeeds. It took some eyeballing to get just right. I hit it with the dremel until it no longer rubbed.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
    Here's a blurry pic of mine. I was going to measure it at lunch and forgot. I can measure it tonight and post in the morning if you still need it.

gunther,
    yes please if you could. tip of rail to the tip of the ejector.

muttman

Feedback Score

pookie,
    thanks for posting the photos. now I have a better idea of what I need to do.
    muttman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.