Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: I have obtained a 9x39 SP5 round

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Shadow of Chernobyl isn't hard enough. Play the NEWSA+Simbion mod if you want hard. Makes me sweat bullets and spanks me hard!
    I tweaked the files on CS to make the enemies shoot at you from 20 or so feet inside the max vision distance, and the game engine goes with a "hit probability" system, so I set it so rookies were at 80% and it went up from there to 100 with the most experienced enemies. The part where you run from the swamps to the cordon has to be bypassed and you gotta sneak past the stalkers on the bridge. Made it more sneaky rather than "run like hell while hitting quick-medkit as fast as you can". Musta had 200 hours on that game...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well the tax return arrived - yippee!

Now to order dies, reamers, etc.

Dies

RCBS, Hornady, CH4D... I know these guys do custom dies. Who else should I contact?

When I queried RCBS on this the "wildcat guy" was kind of snotty about it and didn't seem as interested in helping with some simple questions, so I'm not convinced they'll be the best vendor. Kind of turned me off to RCBS but I'm willing to give them a go. Obviously the 7.62x39 shell holders will work.

Reamer

I'm thinking of getting the reamer from Clymer as I've ordered from them before and had good luck with their product. There's what 5 or 6 of us that will actually us the reamer, correct? We could pass that around and it should be good for at least that many barrels. Probably not too many more! Does anyone know if Pacific does custom reamer orders? Other reamer makers I should contact?

Headspace Gauges

I'll need to talk this over with the reamer people. I believe a no-go gauge is the absolute minimum. Due to the action of the AK it is fairly simple to set headspace correctly... going on the premise that "so long as it doesn't close on a no-go gauge" it will be OK without a "go" gauge.

I bought a 9.3mm barrel blank from Midway, pretty sure it was a Douglas barrel. Need to profile it on my mini-lathe which will be an all-weekend ordeal!

Since everything else is based on 7.62x39 parts it will require only a new magazine. I'm going to postpone finding that perfect magazine to adapt until after I can get some dummy rounds made up. I am fairly certain a .223 AK mag or AK-74 mag will work as-is but that remains to be seen... we have quite a few choices as far as .308 AK mags, etc. so I simply need to get some dummy rounds made up on the dies and work from there.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I hesitate to say this but we could probably convert 7.62x39 dies by annealing them to be soft, then run the reamer into them to open up the dies. Order a replacement 9.3mm expander ball and you're all set. This would be a good, economical alternative to a full-out set of dies that may make this more affordable for some people out there.

The seating dies should be about the same thing - use a 9.3mm die that's cut down short and cleaned up on the bottom to work properly in the press. Ditto for the crimp die if you decide to use one, which I think would be a good thing.

I don't think an expander die will be necessary since I'm looking at the different 9.3mm bullets and they are all jacketed. However of course a 9.3mm expander would be necessary for all-lead bullets if you were so inclined to go that direction.

My point in this post is that there may be affordable alternatives in case someone doesn't want to shell out the cost of a complete die set and doesn't mind the extra work to "convert" a donor die set. Annealing will be the tough part (get it, ha ha) IMO but I've been told that you could anneal a die by putting it in the bottom of a fireplace all night... is that true?
    Gunco Member #10

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Theoretically your die reamer should be .004-.008" smaller then your chambering reamer, to provide for .003-.006" chamber clearance plus brass springback when sizing.

If you're having the chambering reamer made simply as a necked-up x39, I don't see anything wrong with your idea of annealing an x39 die and opening it up. Don't forget to put a nice radius at the neck before re-heat-treating. It wouldn't hurt it to run a few cases through for op check before heat treating.

Dave Kiff at Pacific made my Beo...er, 12.7 Schuler reamer. He was responsive via email. I told him it would headpace on the case mouth, that it needed enough clearance to reliably cycle in a semiauto, that I'd be using the same bullets as a .500 Smith, and let him pick the leade geometry, clearance, etc. I figured he could guess a lot better than I could.

He said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to make the reamer; UPS dropped it off at my door in less than two. Danged custom shops, they just can't meet their schedules...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Dave Kiff at Pacific made my Beo...er, 12.7 Schuler reamer. He was responsive via email.
    i second going with pacific his stuff is top notch and his customer service is very good i have orderd from him in the pas and will continue to do so. I contacted Clymer about a 7.62x39 and IMOO they were Dicks to me. said they didnt have time to deal with it when they were to busy making remaers for normal caliburs. I seriously will never buy from them again. they suck since selling out.

also if your keeping the original taper why not just use a 7.62x39 with a larger pilot and then use a neck and throat reamer in in 9mm to finish it????? I have a x39 remers but there fixed pilot but I might begetting them converted when i have them recut to better suit a 308 bore. If that will work I could chamber a barrel for you and you could finish t with a N&T reamer. A N&T reamer can be rented as can a x39 reamer BTW.

Does redding make dies in 7.62x39 with a bushing in them to be able to set the neck tension?? If so then you possably could just change the bushing and expandr out to a 9mm one. I know a guy that uses redding 22-250 dies and a differant busshing for a 20-250. I would not even worry about a head space Guage since you are making the ammo on your own dies all the ammo should be of the same spec. a dummy reound made up with a shim would be all that is nessacary and likey more accurate.

On the dies if the redding set up wont work Id contact lee there cheaper and will do custom runs.

I have been thinking about your project for a while if you cant tell

I was tempted the other day to try to ream /chamber a drilled out junk Yugo barrel with a x39 reamer and fire form some brass in it and see what it would look like.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    If you're having the chambering reamer made simply as a necked-up x39,

It wouldn't hurt it to run a few cases through for op check before heat treating.
    The 9x39 has a straighter profile, there is a 9x39 dummy in this thread, or another that was made from a 7.62x39 case that the shoulder isn't bigger and there is almost no shoulder there.

Running a few cases through would be a pretty good idea, so long as they are really clean and no dings. It would smooth the die out a bit, sorta "smooshing" any machining marks down.

Pookie, if you end up doing an AK9/OTs11 "Tiss" copy then you could go with a yugo grenade gas block, cut away most of the GL sight and carve out the GL position to restrict the gas rather than cutting it off. Then you could increase the utility of the rifle with supersonic loadings without having the rifle cycle too hard from the drastic difference in pressures.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    i second going with pacific his stuff is top notch and his customer service is very good i have orderd from him in the pas and will continue to do so. I contacted Clymer about a 7.62x39 and IMOO they were Dicks to me. said they didnt have time to deal with it when they were to busy making remaers for normal caliburs. I seriously will never buy from them again. they suck since selling out.

also if your keeping the original taper why not just use a 7.62x39 with a larger pilot and then use a neck and throat reamer in in 9mm to finish it????? I have a x39 remers but there fixed pilot but I might begetting them converted when i have them recut to better suit a 308 bore. If that will work I could chamber a barrel for you and you could finish t with a N&T reamer. A N&T reamer can be rented as can a x39 reamer BTW.

Does redding make dies in 7.62x39 with a bushing in them to be able to set the neck tension?? If so then you possably could just change the bushing and expandr out to a 9mm one. I know a guy that uses redding 22-250 dies and a differant busshing for a 20-250. I would not even worry about a head space Guage since you are making the ammo on your own dies all the ammo should be of the same spec. a dummy reound made up with a shim would be all that is nessacary and likey more accurate.

On the dies if the redding set up wont work Id contact lee there cheaper and will do custom runs.

I have been thinking about your project for a while if you cant tell

I was tempted the other day to try to ream /chamber a drilled out junk Yugo barrel with a x39 reamer and fire form some brass in it and see what it would look like.
    * not the same taper so you definitely can't just size it up. Same base, however.

Interesting on Clymer - didn't realize they changed management - when did you deal with them?
    Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

You could easily put several thousand cases through an annealed die - as long as it wasn't dead soft. Many a hobbyist has made their own die using 7/8 studs (gotta anneal to ream) and never hardened the die.

Clean brass will never wear a steel die, brass is too soft to do so. Dirt will damage a non-hardened die, but brass won't. And if you aren't cleaning your brass before loading, why not?
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

its my under standing that clymer sold out years back. I delt with them last summer when I was shopping for a x25 reamer. they were IMOO rude and acted like they didnt need me to stay in bussiness. I have persionaly talked to Dave at pacific and his willing to help out with suggestions and advice. Id get a pioleted reamer as barrels can vary wildly.

with he taper being differant then your going to need a sizing die reamer and a finish chamber reamer. you can likely use the sizing die reamer as a rougher BTW.

as far as hardening the dies if the brass dont wear out the barrel it wont wear out the soft Die. You dont really need to buy a truck stud if you have a lathe and can thread just get some 7/8" rod and thread it and then you dont even have to aneal it. if you wanted to get chrome molly then I bet a shot out 22 barrel would be a good donner for steel.

I wonder how a grendel case would be with the neck open up to 9mm??? its got a straighter taper the correct rim and the length is correct. you could use a 6.5 reamer to do the chamber and then neck and throat it to 9mm. I think grendal dies can be had with removable neck bushings. Id be willing to bet that a 9mmx39 could be made pretty cheap going that route. green doll /grendel reamers can be rented I used one on barrel for a member. I relize it would not be a true russian 9x39 but you cant buy ammo any way. It likely would give a little more case capacity and possably be a better round. If you rented a reamer and a 9mm pilot and N&T reamer and were able to use grendel dies witha differant bushing then the whole project could likely be done under $125. If it is doable you could just buy a greendoll reamer and the other stuff as well off the shelf and have it for other builds. Im going use my 6mm/284 like this to do a 6.5/284 and maybe even a 30/284 if you have 9mm luger or other pistol reamer you likely could use it for the necking and throating as well (possably)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

9mm PPC would be doable as well with the same meathod and there are often used reamers and PPC dies with removable bushings on ebay.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

7n9 ballistic coefficient

lee 9x39 dies

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.