Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: I have obtained a 9x39 SP5 round

Feedback Score

I have seen some loaded, not dummy cartridges and some ammo cans and crates for 9x39. Mostly small parts of the different 9x39 rifles. Not enough to complete anything. I saw one manual that has almost no pictures or drawings. A lot of instructions in Russian and the only pics/drawings were of the scope and not of the rifle parts. I don't think the plastic and the metal magazines are interchangeable. I think they are for different rifles in 9x39. They tried to make a cheaper AP round called the PAB-9 I think. It wasn't accurate and wore the barrels hard. It has been discontinued.
    Last edited by allesennogwat; 05-18-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A few updates -

*Finally* got in touch with Hornady today after several weeks of phone tag. They are keeping busy! Lead time is 4 months, sounds about like the Lee custom dies deal. SOOOOOO.... its the end of June now which will put the ETA for dies at around Halloween. $145 for the die set. This is very competitive with the other companies who make custom dies so I'm OK with that.

Here's a question - forming brass. They quoted me $160 for the hydralic forming dies. I'm wondering what with the cost and availability (!!!) of primers if this may be worth it. I plan to form a couple hundred rounds, and probably more over time. Although it may be more fun to fireform the brass

Feedback Score

The prices don't sound bad. Primers are showing up now and prices of components is getting better. I'm going to check what dimensions I have from Russian sources. If I have enough case diameter and length numbers I should be able to figure out he exact shoulder angle using math. I know it doesn't have to be perfect but I think I might have enough info now.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Id just fire form your brass in the dies with a set up like seen in the calibur conversion book its about 6 cents or so to do this. I would not mess with a $160 dollar die to make brass unless your planng on doing thousands of rounds and it likely a messy deal.

I am curious as to why you just didnt get a reamer to cut your own dies for around $125 and then you would be able to make and sell dies if you chose to down the road??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Reason I didn't ream my own dies is that now Hornady will have these on record if and when others wish to order up their own "authentic" 9x39 Russian die set

Feedback Score

I'm going to have check my records to see if I have the lengths between angles but today a quick check reveals,

bullet diameter = 9.25 mm (SP-5) (SP-6 = 9.26 mm)

cartridge length = 56.02 mm

case length = 38.76 mm (SP-5) (SP-6 = 38.78 mm)

rim diameter = 12.43 mm

diameter of case next to wide end of shoulder = 10.36 mm

diameter of case neck = 10.14 mm

bullet weight = 16.1 grams (SP-5) (SP-6 = 16.2 grams)

powder charge = 0.50 grams (SP-5) (SP-6 = 0.60 grams)

velocity = 290 m/s (SP-5) (SP-6 = 305 m/s)

energy = 673 joules (SP-5) (SP-6 = 706 joules)

I need to find the distance between the 10.36 mm diameter and the 10.14 mm diameter to figure out the shoulder angle. I do have this distance for 7.62x39 and I may have the info somewhere for 9x39.

Feedback Score

Pookie, you need to see this site! @Mail.Ru: Photo Shooter
    All sorts of pics of russkie guns that I've never seen before! Tons of the 9x39 guns too! Detailed internal pics and everything!
    9A-91
    VSK-94 (sniper 9A-91)
    AS-VAL
    Groza
    VSS

ETA: So far I've saved all the high-res groza pictures, I can make a torrent of them and email the tracker file to anyone who wants it, so if you want the pics [without all the right click-save as BS I just went through] send me a PM.
    I'm gonna be saving the other interesting ones later on. There are just so many of them and my wrists are tired from just the 183 groza pics!
    Last edited by [486]; 07-01-2010 at 01:38 AM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wow those are some nice pics! Did you save the pics listed or the "original sized" ones?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    Wow those are some nice pics! Did you save the pics listed or the "original sized" ones?
    I saved the biiiig resolution ones, nice huge 2000x2000 pictures. I'm leaving for the weekend in 2 hours or so, so if you want the torrent tracker sent now send me a PM with an email quick.

ETA: example of the size I saved them in: http://content.foto.mail.ru/mail/pho.../530/s-531.jpg

ETA2: I just bit the bullet and registered at TPB and uploaded it. Pictures of OC-14 Groza (download torrent) - TPB
    Don't let the 0 seeders scare you off, I'm uploading it.

ETA3: Made a new thread rather than taking over your thread, here it is with the 9A-91 pics too.
    http://www.gunco.net/forums/f108/rar.../?=#post594723
    Last edited by [486]; 07-02-2010 at 02:46 AM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Update - my CC got charged for the dies! That puts their 4 month lead time down to the day. Not sure if they will give me a tracking number or not. The dies are going to be stamped "9x39 Russian".

I've got a box of Nosler 9.3mm 250gr ballistic tip bullets to start with. I need to work up some good loads. The loads from the '93 issue of American Rifleman ".35x39" use 2400 powder, which will be my starting point. There are also some work I can borrow from the Accurate Reloading forums as there is a similar cartridge known as the "Gremlin" which is basically a .35 remington short. I need to look at those discussions again to get some good load ideas.

I may also try some subsonic loads since this caliber was designed from the beginning to be a subsonic round. A can would make this a great combo deal!

I guess I need to get cracking on the actual gun build now! I still need to profile the barrel blank.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.