Thread: How are they holding up?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default How are they holding up?

I noticed several of you have converted AK's to larger rifle calibers. I was just curious as to how they are holding up. Any issues with parts cracking, mushrooming, or breaking? For the hotter rounds, how are the recoil spring assemblies working out for you? Are heavier springs used?
    Don't overcomplicate a bologna sandwich...........

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

My G3 barreled .308 AK conversion is still working fine... last "are they broke yet" thread is here:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f244/308...ccesses-33413/

I will say that I can't seem to get as tight a group as I had expected. I may be using too heavy a round for the thread on that G3 barrel. I'm going to do some more custom loads in a few weeks and see how it works out. If I can't get the groups to tighten up on this 30+ year old barrel, then I'm going to re-barrel it with a rifling pitch to match these 168 grain bullets, and while I'm at it I'll make it longer from 18" to 24" - "just like" the SVU.

BHP
    Feedback Score

Just a guess but I wouldn't see any need for different springs, the standard spring will have enough force to strip rounds out of the mag. Seems like the barrels would be from other actions and wouldn't have a gas port drilled yet. I believe someone mentioned using a Remington 700 barrel and hcpookie used the G3 barrel so both of those would require drilling a gas port. I would assume they would start intentionally undersized and ream it out from there increasing it incrementally till the gun functioned properly. All that would keep the action from opening too soon or with too much force. Only question would be if the if the bolt and trunion would withstand the higher pressure. That one is beyond me so only time will tell. An engineer or metalurgist (or materials scientist or machinist, etc.) might have something more to say.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

what type of groups you getting now?? Id try some differant bullet /load combos. what is the twist rate now? most 308 barrels shoot every thing from 125 to 180 gr bullets ok. on my 308 bolt action 150 grain seem to be the best in a soft point. your over sized gas port may be part of the issue as well as other stuff in contact with the barrel. hoe good is the trigger??

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by BHP View Post
    Just a guess but I wouldn't see any need for different springs, the standard spring will have enough force to strip rounds out of the mag. Seems like the barrels would be from other actions and wouldn't have a gas port drilled yet. I believe someone mentioned using a Remington 700 barrel and hcpookie used the G3 barrel so both of those would require drilling a gas port. I would assume they would start intentionally undersized and ream it out from there increasing it incrementally till the gun functioned properly. All that would keep the action from opening too soon or with too much force. Only question would be if the if the bolt and trunion would withstand the higher pressure. That one is beyond me so only time will tell. An engineer or metalurgist (or materials scientist or machinist, etc.) might have something more to say.
    Russia already did the research,

that's why a saiga 308 has 3 lugs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    what type of groups you getting now?? Id try some differant bullet /load combos. what is the twist rate now? most 308 barrels shoot every thing from 125 to 180 gr bullets ok. on my 308 bolt action 150 grain seem to be the best in a soft point. your over sized gas port may be part of the issue as well as other stuff in contact with the barrel. hoe good is the trigger??
    Groups right now - let me say up front that my scope mount situation isn't completely finished... I sat it in the safe and have been doing other things since the range closed down. Now that it's re-opened, I need to load up some more rounds and get back to it!

Current round count about 150 or so. That includes the 2 boxes of 168gr bullets I've loaded and the 2+ mags of surplus ammo I shot during the build testing. Headspace exactly where I set it, no drifting or signs of wear, peening, or other stress-induced wear of any kind!

That said, my groups were 6" or so @ 100 yards. OBVIOUSLY, I need to find the right combination with this! I have sorted my brass, but it doesn't seem to matter so much as perhaps on a target shooting build. I discussed it at length with my dad, who advised me to use a different type of powder which he thinks should tighten up my groups.

I am going to get that scope mount shimmed, loctited, and tested again. IN FACT I'm off today due to the holiday so I may hit the range this afternoon! If not then this weekend.

That trigger pull is nice. I found the rough spots that were dragging and polished them up! I know what you're thinking, and the pull is NOT tight enough to open up my groups.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.