Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The .41?? - A Question for your .44?? Conversions

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default The .41?? - A Question for your .44?? Conversions

My dad is suddenly interested in converting a straight-walled case. I guess I've talked to him so much about my .45 Win Mag conversion that he has "seen the light"! Actually he has always been interested in the .357/44 Bain & Davis round, and since the .41 would be in the same ballpark, it would make for an interesting round albeit in an autoloader-friendly rimless design. Ultimately, he would like to have an autoloading .41 rifle.

His hangup is that he prefers the .41 over the .44. So he is looking at the .41 bullet size with a 1.5" case.

I read Gunter's post and it was set to 1.7" for reasons unknown. That looks *perfect* when compared side-by-side to a 7.62x39 cartridge!

Due to pressure concerns, .41x1.5" may be more manageable. I was comparing the .44 AMP, .45 Win Mag, and 308x1.5 cartridges. At approximately the same size of cut-down .30-06 brass, they all produce about the same case capacity of ~ 30 to 35 grains H20. No surprise there. I have yet to measure a 1.5" case that has not been necked down.

Here's the rub - he is considering not an AK conversion, but possibly a Ruger Mini-30 conversion. He wants more pretty wood!

I suggested a Mini-30 since it should have the same pressure tolerance as an AK - CUP pressure around the mid- to upper- 30k range. I'm not sure what other "pretty wood" autoloading rifles are available.

So what do you guys think? I know derivatives of the .44?? cartridge were hinted at - he may be doing the first .41. I could find no other .41 equivalent cartridges in that size. Are there others? I'd hate to reinvent the wheel.

Dad, what is the size of bullets you're looking at right now? I know that swaging kit can do .41 so I may be able to make up a big batch of them later this Winter.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I just spent 30 minutes looking around. I found the 416-06 jdj (30-06) to a 416 so not qiute the same
    then the .45 remington-thomson, 30-06 brass cut down to boost the power of the thompson smg 260 @1500fps
    seems like you may be trail blazing here.

Feedback Score

Your dad does know he can have custom AK furniture made out of whatever "pretty" wood he wants, right? ;-)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I posted on a couple 41,s just the other day one can possably made from a straight walled 7.62x39 Ill find the link.

I am still working on a 444????(like you life gets in the way) the barrel is still in the rough but I did bend up a reciver for it.

I read Gunter's post and it was set to 1.7" for reasons unknown. That looks *perfect* when compared side-by-side to a 7.62x39 cartridge!
    the longer case is because the 44 bullet is actually shorter than a .30 bullet so it ends up still fitting the mag. I have 3 loaded 444?? rounds siting here in a steel 223 mag that looks like it will work with a slight lip tweak. my cases are about 1.840 BTW the length of the hornady leverlution bullets will be the deciding factor for me. there not avaliable yet but I want to be load them to fit an AK mag when they become avaliable. so they will dictate case length likley around 1.80 im guessing.

I think the 41??? is a great idea possably better than the 444?? as far as case capicty to bore size. there is some discussion here about it. have your dad look at some of the fancy valimet full length stocks or even a wood stocked siaga.

the mini 14/30 is less modifiable IMOA to be any fun. with the AK you FUBAR a mag well or rail you just bend up a new flat with the rugger you just destroyed a 400+ gun. 6.5 carcono and jap brass might be good for a 41 for a true straight wall case or 30-06 necked down and head spacke off the neck instead of the rim which might be better. as far as pressure goes I wouldnt worry about it the 444 marlin is pretty low around 45,000 as I recall and the 444??? or 41???? will have less powder than that.

wasent there a 41 auto mag round already made???????

also pretty sure rugger made a mini 44 mag in a auto loader for a while.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

link to a couple 41,s i posted two weeks ago some were in there a guy was making these from 7.62 brass.
    401 WSL (winchester self loader) is pretty damm close to what your looking for. Im looking for some 6.5 carcono or jap brass.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f244/401-wsl-416-tas-40873/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by us_dragunov View Post
    Your dad does know he can have custom AK furniture made out of whatever "pretty" wood he wants, right? ;-)
    Yeah but he's partial to those kinds of guns vs. these new-fangled contraptions.

Thanks for those links 1biggun! I'm going to let him see those and see what he thinks.

Where does one find a good .41 barrel? I thought Midway would have it but no dice. I suspect I'll have to buy one directly from one of the barrel companies.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

Contact SSK Industries. They probably have a wildcat that will work or can suggest one that will work.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Well my first thought would be to suggest a Ruger 99/44.

Second would be that whatever cartridge you decide on, make sure you can find bullets for it without exposed lead. (Not as easy as you'd think with what are primarily revolver rounds.) I know the 99/44 and .357/.41/.44 magnum Desert Eagles are ammo sensitive because of this, vaporized lead will build up in the gas system and act as solder if allowed to accumulate.

Kit Maker and Pookies Dad rookie's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Thanks to all of you for the info. about the 41, it's something to think about & to keep the mind going. When Pookie calls me & tells me all the things he come up with for the AK, I thought I would give another one to think about. I really like the 41 mag, its been a over liked caliber for a long time. I have a Ruger Blackhawk & a Marlin 1894 in the 41 mag & both do very well. I, also have the 357/44 B&D in the same guns & they do well to. I been reloading for over 35 yrs & enjoy it very much. All way thinking of thing to do. Rookie

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I really like the 41 mag, its been a over liked caliber for a long time.
    cant agree more!! the whole bigger is better thing has hurt this round (44 mag). better balistics and all that. I had a ruger black hawk in 41 mag as well but traded it for a 357. it was a mistake but i didnt reload then. I would love a 41 lever action rifle but it aint going to happen.

In a 1.5" case the 41 0r a 375 will likely be the best balance. but everyone needs a 458 socom or 450 bush master because it sound better. If I hadent started on a a 444???? or 444 rimless marlin. I would have likely been doing a 375 or 41 wild cat. better ballistics for the limited case size. a 1.5" x.41= a super 41 mag IMOA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.