Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 bolt head prob.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I am going to buy some more 5.45 just because the AR 5.45 uppers could cause ammo to go up in price in the next few months. 5.45 is as cheap as you can get right now.
    only makes sense. wish I had a few more cases of 7.62x39 from 5 years ago.I dont have a 5.45 gun or kit and I may skip that round. to many irons in the fire. just reloading for the 223 is a challange. 900 rounds the other day of neck turned brass is a chore but the results are worth it.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    wish I had a few more cases of 7.62x39 from 5 years ago.
    big gun,
    dont we all.
    what I ment by the rais at the firing pin hole was the hole is not chamferd and there is a .001" rise at the hole from break thrue, witch is ok for me. the next thin I need to do is latp the bolt head to the trunion after I make a jig to keep pressure on the bolt head. my Idea is to get a better lug to lug fit. the trunion Im using was used and it did not come off of a kit and you can see the ware marks on the back lugs of the trunion.

hc,
    I dont thik you have to wory about on the price of 5.45. wall streat took care of that as well as reloading stuff for my free lyman press I just got. stockmarket and big banks. muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I really would not want any kind of champer around the firing pin hole not even slightly. my varmit build will blow primers before most maximum loads are reached in other rifles. it also blows primers with some 5.56x49 ball factory stuff and Im sure the bullet is not seted out to far for this chamber. I suspect the large firing pin and loose hole are at least partialy to blame dut to unsuported are there. I could be wrong and it could be the barrel or some other part of my loads ect.

Feedback Score

big gun,
    the firing pin hole on mine is on the plus side compaired to the rest of the bolt face (what the case head contacts on the bolt head) Im happy with the way it is my only problem I have is the trunion ware pattern with a new bolt. that Ill be working on eather with a milled reciver or a jig to smoth out the new bolt head. muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yea its really hard to try to true up these as the lugs are not at the same depth. many guns seem to be actually hitting on one lug. it hard to tell if you making progress due to all the slop in every thing. Ive considerd making a tool/jig that will hold the bolt in the trunion so I can measure the bolt face depth to the front of the trunion and tell if it is true. It a lot of work to get any kind of accurate reading on these things. you have to know exaclty how much rotation there is when the bolt is in ready to fire position and that requires the carrier to be in place.

to be honest you are almost better to just stick the bolt in the trunion and apply back pressure and try to GUESS if the shaft looks true to the center. some of these are really off. this would be really crucial in a 308 build were the lugs must share the load equaly or bad things can happen. fortunatly all the flex and slop will likely allow the bolt to rock enough to make contact on both lugs when fired.

I am honestly considering selling off a kit for $200 and using the money toward a 308 SIAGA with three lugs that I will then rebarrel and accurize in a 260 remington or possably a 22-250 improved with a fast twist barrel. Then i can load it hot with out worry.

Feedback Score

big gun,
    260 rem. wow, that is a lot more than I need to bight off right now. Im still trying to deside how to cut the magwell on my 9mm ak trunion and whats for lunch.

I do agree with you on finding the best spot to take a wild guess on depth to true up the bolt head to barrel. at this point it would best to just get the lugs to mate 80% on lock up and let her go at that. the jig will be a 23mm shaft with a 5/16" spring loaded bolt face pusher to keep back pressure on the bolt head.
    muttman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Couldn't you use the 'ol sharpie magic marker trick to "paint" the bolt, then see the rub spots? The spots should be the same on both sides... if not then you would know because the side still needing to make contact would still have the magic marker ink. Then you would know to polish the side that is already touching.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

hc yes I had thought of that but with all the slop with the trunion and bolt head I figger it would be better with a guide (like a rebarrel on a k98) to keep the bolt head parlell (sp) to the trunion and get full suport of the lugs.
    muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yea its really hard to keep it centerd and tight and square.

This is how far off a saiga 223 bolt and trunion are off! an the picture dont do justice. I am going to attempt to at least square up the lugs so the round is pointing down the center of the barrel. just a slight amount off one lug will make a huge differance. The other problem is getting the bolt face in the center to start with. this gun shot bad BTW before I tore it down 2.5" 5 shot groups at 100 YDS. not acceptable IMOA. I am rebuilding it with a better barrel/chamber and truer action. This will be a unconveted light weight pack around hunter. A untrue action and a sloppy chamber= a poor shooting gun. I got it for the price of a rommy kit. also note how light the trunion is as well

The 260 remington or maybe a 6.5 creedmore will be a while but I want something to try to shoot 800 yards with it in wind on praire dogs less than 40 shots per day in an AK platform. My 223 has long since ran out of steam by then. I have about 20 projects ahead of it.

Feedback Score

big gun,
    that is scarey. mine is not that bad. good luck with it. 2.5" at 100yd what grane bullet were you using? I have read that most euro barrels are set up for a 70gn bullet with the slower twist rate. muttman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.