Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 bolt head prob.....

Feedback Score

Default 5.56 bolt head prob.....

I recived my headspacing guages and figerd I would press in the arrel this week end and when I tryed to fit in my bolt head in the trunion it would not rotate ??? after putting an eye ball on the problem I would like to know what you all have done to corect the problem( see photo). the 7.62 bolt head on the left has a chamfer cut in to the left lug, the 5.56 bolt head (k-var) does not and the chamfer lets the bolt head move in ferther to the bullet guide (5.56 bullet guide k-var) ramp giving more room for the left lug.
    what would be the best fix?
    thanks muttman
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I duplicated the chamfer by hand on a smooth grinder. and it seems like I had to fit the bullit guide slightly as well. it took a little fittting to get it to work right. I honestly cant remember on the guide it was three years ago. I did the fitting with out the barrel in place Just turning it into the trunion by hand.

while you are at it double cheack that the bolt face is milled/turned flat all the way across were the bullet hits it. On two of the three Kvar 223 bolts I have the face has a bevel in it that prevents the case from seating all the way down flat. it looks like from your pictue (hard to tell) you may have the same bevel were the face meets the side . its likely caused from a dull end mill. this will raise hell with your brass rim and if it is relaoded the head space will be loose on it. I bought a metric end mill and trued mine up.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I used a hand file on the lug, go slow, it is softer than you might think. 10 minutes or less of careful work.

Feedback Score

thanks for the help. it took longer than 10 min. but I can now rotate the bolt in the trunion. next is pressing in the barrel in. muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

does the case sit flat against the bolt face on your bolt??

Feedback Score

big gun,
    as far as I can tell yes it does. I need to get more time with the bolt and a depth guage. my guage is at work and I will get a better check of the bolt face. BTW what size end mill did you get to reface with ?
    on a side note I got the new guns and ammo rag the other day and smith & wesson have made a AR in 5.45, and here I am making a 5.56 AK. the more things change the more ......
    muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I dont remember what end mill it was Ill have to look. I was a metric size as I recall.

I actualy made a jig out of a used junk barrel pressed against the bolt to mimic it being against a round in attempt to true the bolt face square to the barrel.
    It was likely a waste of time but I wanted to try every trick I could think of to make it more accurate.

but a little felt pen ink on a case and spin it in the bolt to see if it seats all the way down. that is how I did it. 2 of the three bolts I have were only hitting on the very edge of the case rim. It would have never really matterd except I reload and I was afraid that I might be gaining head space.also some head space guages are slightly beveled so they might not read right.

MY 223 varmit build is the most fun gun I own and also almost the most accurate. I have little use for a 5.45 as there is no none military bullets ammo or cases around so except for blasting it would do me no good.

Feedback Score

big gun,
    yes ther is bullets and cases out ther. if I can find there add in SGN they sell 5.45 cases and use the old .222 rem bulets but they are pricey. I checked the bolt head and it looks good to me the felt marker tip will clear up the last thing I need to look at. the firing pin hile looked rasid up using a depth guage. Ill give the spin test a try.
    muttman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Cases, reloading dies, the whole shebang! You can bump down (aka swage) .223 bullets and resize .221 fireball cases with the dies. I think the loads are slightly less powerful than .223 loads but I'd have to check for certain. So "yes" you can reload 5.45 but the cost involved in doing so makes it not economically feasible what with the cheap ammo that can still be found.

I am going to buy some more 5.45 just because the AR 5.45 uppers could cause ammo to go up in price in the next few months. 5.45 is as cheap as you can get right now.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the firing pin hile looked rasid up using a depth guage.
    havent seen that one yet. the pin is likely not going to hit dead center in the primer. none of mine do. I can always tell my brass from the stuf my buudies shoot in there savages.

the all out no holds bared build I hope to do this winter calls for a smaller and lighter pin. not sure how yet possably drill it out and rebush it. I want to get rid of some of the mass and also lighten up the hammer some to decreas the amount of movment from when I pull the trigger and the gun goes off. this stuff really is only for a target or varmit gun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.