Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 45 WinMag Progress report

  1. #1
    Happy Camper hcpookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    7,695
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default 45 WinMag Progress report

    Coming along well! I started from the back and I'm working forward. Don't ask.

    I'm making this a bullpup, and I've modelled the buttstock after the OC-14 Groza (my favorite!) and I'm modelling the bullpup action after it as well:

    http://world.guns.ru/assault/groza2.jpg

    I didn't get it in the pic, but I have a rear sight block partially converted for a pistol build I never completed. Well, a little modification and presto I have salvaged it for the "mounting block" that will support an AKSU-style hinged top cover. The cover was beat up some, and I had to peen and flex it back to some semblance of parallel sides.

    As you can see, I'm nearly finished with the buttstock. The buttstock will have a rubber pad as soon as I find something suitable. Not sure where to get rubber that thick, and it is larger than all the rubber stock pads I have. The buttstock, when locked, keeps the top cover from coming loose in the back. Sling swivel is coming soon. The hinge didn't turn out exactly as I'd planned, but it works anyway so I'm not complaining... just looks a little odd!



    YES - that is a home-built magazine well! It works! As you can see, I haven't wire brushed it or sanded it all nice and pretty yet. I haven't even pinned the latch retainer pin into place yet - kept it loose while I was fitting all the pieces in place!

    It is flared to help magazine loading. It will need only a rear locking lug, the clearance is just enough so that I don't need anything on the front. The front spine of the well doubles to cover up the opening of the original magazine well... it was big enough that I didn't want it exposed.

    That's a Saiga receiver cover plate, I just cut it down and riveted it in place to cover up the trigger opening.

    I also spring loaded the firing pin:

    http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/45WinMag/100_0740.jpg

    http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/45WinMag/100_0741.jpg


    I'm going to use the original Saiga sear and disconnector, and the bullpup will use an original trigger I had laying around. That puts the parts count up one more for me to 17 as I'm building it, but I'm covered any way you slice it with the buttstock, magazines, barrel, and muzzle brake. I think I have 9 US parts total.


    Next on the list is chambering the barrel, adding the gas block, the bullpup assembly, and loading up some rounds






    Gunco Member #10

    http://pookieweb.net


    The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm


    Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

  2. #2
    Gunco Member g2busmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Here and There! But mostly here.
    Posts
    1,177
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

    Default

    hey ya got those "daylight/dust covers" welded on in front of themag well, how good does the mag well fit in there? and is that the trigger hole cover off of your saiga?
    ~ Czolgosz, Leon (1873-1902)
    "I killed the President because he was the enemy of the good people, the good working people. I am not sorry for my crime."

  3. #3
    Happy Camper hcpookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    7,695
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default

    It fits really well! (pun intended)

    The magazine is *barely* narrower than the magazine well hole of the receiver, and I camfered the edges so it won't smack the receiver when inserting.

    I moved the magazine well forward ever so slightly so the magazine won't be blocked by the receiver at the back of the mag well. With the angle of the magazine - 6 degrees from the perpendicular - it sits just in front of the center support.

    Yes that's off of my Saiga .223 conversion. I may need to get more of those plates!



    BTW, I made that head forming tool for the air hammer, but that hammer I got doesn't seem to work - it acts like it doesn't go over 10 PSI. Not sure what to think about it, but it may just need to be sprayed out.
    Gunco Member #10

    http://pookieweb.net


    The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm


    Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •