Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AK from 7.62X39 to 7.62X51 (.308) or higher

Feedback Score

I just looked at the 308 Valmet bolt and the bolt lugs are both longer, front to back, and wrap farther around the bolt similar to the PSL bolt. The 308 Yugo bolt doesn't look much bigger in the bolt lugs but the bolt face is extended forward to help feed the longer cartridge. The 8x57mm M76 bolt may have slightly longer bolt lugs but not by much. They may be similar to the PSL bolt though. I haven't compared them side by side. I don't remember exactly how the 308 Galil bolt looks. It is a bit different but I think thr bolt length is slightly different. Remember that the Russian did try a two lug bolt similar to the AK74 bolt in the 308 Saiga and the two lug bolt design FAILED CIP proof testing. That is why the 308 Saiga uses three bolt lugs. I bought a long barrel 308 Saiga as I didn't like the weird taper under the front sight base on the short barrel model. I removed the barrel. Stripped the barrel blocks and turned the barrel down to AK74 diameters and length, except under the handguards I left it thick. It's light weight and has a bit of recoil. I fitted the AK74 barrel blocks on it.

Feedback Score

All I can say is keep reading all you can in this forum and others where there are experienced builders. That's what I have been and am continuing to do. I am like you and want to build some larger caliber AKs (including a 9.3x64 build) as well as get some accurized builds in there like 1biggun's .223.

Keep up the good work guys!!!

Feedback Score

big gun,
    my point of "fun" was most of the time one can get a gun, but making it yours is the fun part for me and yes a saiga are cheep to start with for a biy gun (and a good thing now) and now a fact of US law. but by starting out with a box of parts and not a gun that is convertd over and ending up with a working gun that out shoots the ready maid is just better. and what I like to do when I get the "me" time. there are still biy guns out there to be made but the cheep is no longer a part of the fun. muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Yea sorry about the negitivity was having a bad day and money issues are taking the fun out of my life lately. most of us here build for the FUN as do I.

the 308 is IMOA right at the edge of sane and should be loaded below maximum. I intend to build a few more but I will be hand loading at around 52,000 PSI MAX!! the recent facts of how military ammo is actually the same as commercial is proof that even though I thought I new everything on the pressures nato ammo was at I was wrong. There are loads that will perform very well and still be safe. I still like the idea of rebating the rim to fit a standard .445" bolt face is a good one as it will prevent some one like my son some day when im gone from trying to shoot Hornady light magnum loads in dads custom AK. yea its more work but it is not hard if you make up a jig for the lathe or drill press. I dont plan on sooting 1000,s of rounds I wnat to hunt with this.

I would love to have the soft ware to predict what velocitys various loads will shoot at with a given chamber pressure. I want to know what a 260 reminton will do at 52,000 PSI????

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

1biggun, your awesome post has made me even more determined to go through with this build. See that's what I'm talking about. What about the guy that you ran off the range, have you seen him again? Has he asked about your ak. By the way what type of ak was it?
    thanks. I see the guy around he, a pretty good guy. He give me crap still about my ASSULT WEAPON but he is pretty humble about mentiong accuracy. as he knows I will shoot.. His buddy is considering building one but $$$$ is an issue and the AR,s are likely just as cheap these days with no work.

My varmit build is your basic Rommy,Bulgy,Savage variant with a couple minor tweaks LOL.

heres 20 shots at 200 yards at two targets shot at moderate pace while adjusting the scope. the circled ones are a touching first 5 round fired before adjusting the scope to center the hits. had all been fired ito one target with no adyustment I think a quarter may have coverd them all. a couple were slightly off center due to my fault. These guns can be made to shoot this is the best I have done

Here is a 5 shot 100 yard group that measures .497" the first 4 shots were. .407 and the first three were
    .197 the first two were one hole. the ammo was 50 grain Nosler balstic tips with h322 powder a basic varmit load. I cant do this every time but it can be done.

new home builder Sighting Scope's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Thats a pretty nice gruping 1biggun. I can't tell from the pic, but is that a 50mm scope? Also, would you know if for my AMD build, can I put a stationary sinthetic of wood stock instead of the folding one with the rear trunion that came with it? If not, which is most likely any idea of where I can get one.

Feedback Score

Will do US DRAGUNOV. Hey, thats not a bad idea an AK cost rifle with the capabilities of an SVD sniper rifle. Well maybe that's wishful thinking, or is it? Anyone

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Sighting Scope View Post
    any idea of where I can get one.
    try apex, a vender on this form $30 last time I looked. muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Thats a pretty nice gruping 1biggun. I can't tell from the pic, but is that a 50mm scope? Also, would you know if for my AMD build, can I put a stationary sinthetic of wood stock instead of the folding one with the rear trunion that came with it? If not, which is most likely any idea of where I can get one.
    if you want a fixed stock on a amd 65 it would be best to get a Rommy rear trunion and use a rommy/fixed stock reciver. every vender out there has a stock for sale of some sort. If you want wood you can likely find a rommy stock for under $20.

The scope is a BSA platnum 6x24x44 not a 50mm. A 50 mm lense would be nice but then the scope would have to sit even higher and its almost to high now. I shoot praire dogs with it so 90% of my shooting is done in good light so a 50MM is not a nesacity. I would how ever like a lot better quality scope this one works for $70 but it aint great.

Feedback Score

Hey muttman, is that apex.com?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.