Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AK from 7.62X39 to 7.62X51 (.308) or higher

new home builder Sighting Scope's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Postak AK from 7.62X39 to 7.62X51 (.308) or higher

Hello to everyone who loves guns!! I'm new to the gun building world, and I'm starting my first AK build out of an AMD 65. I have someone that has built one before that can help me, but my next build will be more difficult. I want to be able to use an AK for hunting, but have heard that it good for about 100 to 200 yards. I want to increase its range and accuracy. My guess is that a higher caliber and longer barrel will help me accomplish this. Does anybody have some helpful info on how to do this, or weather this is even possible. Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WELCOME. WHAT ARE YOU HUNTING?? BIG GAME OR SMALL??
    WELL TO START YOU CAN READ THE LAST 3 OR 4 PAGES HERE BUT TO GET TO MOST OF THE DISSCUSSION ON THE CONVERSION READ HERE WERE I WAS AT 4 YEARS AGO ASKING THE SAME QUESTIONS. WITH THE PRICE OF KITS A SAIGA 308 IS LIKELY EASIER AND THE SAME PRICE PLUS IT HAS THREE LUG BOLT. IT WILL TAKE SOME WORK TO MAKE THESE/ANY AK TYPE REALLY ACCURATE AS WELL. YOU CAN LIKELY BUY A REMINGTON OR BROWNING AUTO OR EVEN A AR 10 BASED 308, FOR WHAT A TRUE TAKE INTO THE WOODS AND SERIOUSLY HUNT AK WILL COST TO GET RIGHT. iM TALKING AT LEAST 1.25" GROUPS OR BETTER AT 100 YARDS TO BE ACCURATE AT OVER 200 FOR DEER OR OTHER BIGGER GAME. LINKS BELOW.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f244/308-ak-18443/

GOOD INFO HERE AS WELL 243 IS SAME JUST NECKED DOWN

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f244/rbt...k-build-27125/

FOR OUT 200 YARDS + THERE IS ALSO THE 6.5 GRENDAL AND THE 6.8 SPC LIKLEY A LITTLE SAFER AND EASIER TO DO. FOR A FIRTSTBUILD i WOULD RECOMEND YOU STICK WITH A BASIC 7.62 X 39 BUILD TO GET SOME SKILLS. A AFTER MARKET BARREL AND SOME ACCURACY INHANCEMENTS WILL LET YOU SHOOT GOOD OUT TO 200 YARDS. THEROUND IS VERY EFECTIFE TO AROUND 150. iVE KILLED DEER AT 225 YARDS HOWEVER BUT YOUR RUNNING OUT OF STEAM. READ EVERY POST HERE IN THE CALIBUR CONVERSION SECTION THERE IS GOOD STUFF HERE. THE AK PLATFORM CAN BE ACCURATE BUT IT TAKES LOTS OF WORK. MY VARMIT 223 BUILD IS SUB 1/2" MOA

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    WITH THE PRICE OF KITS A SAIGA 308 IS LIKELY EASIER AND THE SAME PRICE PLUS IT HAS THREE LUG BOLT. IT WILL TAKE SOME WORK TO MAKE THESE/ANY AK TYPE REALLY ACCURATE AS WELL.
    Completely agree. My .308 conversion was fun, but was a bunch of work to get it to the point where it is equivalent to the Saiga .308. I would use a Saiga .308 for "big caliber" conversions... saves you a bunch of time and frustration!!!

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK...l/000_0226.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    THE AK PLATFORM CAN BE ACCURATE BUT IT TAKES LOTS OF WORK. MY VARMIT 223 BUILD IS SUB 1/2" MOA
    Same with my Saiga .223 build. A very nice rifle!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default What Pookie Said!

Howdy,

I've done a couple of larger caliber AK knock-offs, and then tried out the Saiga with the Wood Stock. The Saiga is just perfect. If you really want to get a great and reliable rifle, I would start there.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    Howdy,

I've done a couple of larger caliber AK knock-offs, and then tried out the Saiga with the Wood Stock. The Saiga is just perfect. If you really want to get a great and reliable rifle, I would start there.
    yes, but what fun is that
    muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yes, but what fun is that
    muttman
    HMM WELL YOU BUY THAT SAGIA 308 FOR $600 GO OUT AND SHOOT IT AND FIND OUT A OLD REMINGTON AUTO WILL OUT SHOOT IT. THEN GET OUT THE CHECK BOOK AND BUY A 350 DOLLAR BARREL HEAVY BLANK IN 6.5 MM THEN YOU ORDER AN CUSTOM 150 DOLLAR REAMER TO MAKE IT A 260 REMINTON OR WHAT EVER NEW 6.5MM IS THE HOT TICKET. MAYBE A 6.5-284!! NOW YOU S!@T CAN ALL THE OLD FURNITURE, GAS BLOCKS,. FLOAT THE BARREL, MAKE UP A SCOPE MOUNT THAT ACTUALLY DONT FLEX WITH THE RECIVER. THROW A FEW MORE HUNDRED DOLLARS AT IT. TOP IT OFF WITH A $1500 SCOPE. RE WORK THE TRIGGER UNTIL ITS JUST RIGHT THEN YOU WILL HAVE A TRUE 1000 METER RIFLE THAT MAY OR MAY NOT SHOOT WITH THE AR 10 BOYS. WE HAVING FUN YET. SHOULDNT RUN NO MORE THAN $3000 BUT DAMM IT WOULD BE FUN TO DO SUCH A BUILD

THE PRICE OF KITS HAS REALLY KILLED IT FOR ME. I CAN NOW GET A PRETTY GOOD DOWN PAYMENT ON A AR 10 HUNTER OR BROWNING BAR DEER RIFLE.

NOT TRYING TO DISCURAGE ANYONE FROM BUILDING BUT WHEN YOU GET $500-$1000 + INTO A CUSTOM BUILD THAT YOU CANT REALLY SELL WITH OUT WORRING ABOUT LIABILTY ISSUES AND ALL THAT IT MAKES ME STOP AND THINK LATELY. MY FIST ak COST ME $65 DOLLARS TO BUILD WITH OUT OPTICS (PISTOL) NOW GUYS ARE PAYING THAT FOR A REAR TRUNION FOR FIXED YUGO. I GOT OFF ON MAKING A $100 GUN OUT SHOOT A $1000 GUN. NOW IT MAKING A $500-700 WITH TONS OF LABOR GUN OUT SHOOT A $1000 GUN DONT FEEL AS GOOD. IF IT WERENT FOR THE CALIBUR CONVERSIONS AND MAKING SOMETHING NO ONE ELSE HAS, I WOULD MOVE ON TO SOME THING ELSE. (CAN YOU GUYS TELL IM RUNNING OUT OF KITS ???) MAYBE A 50 BMG OR POSSABLY A 338 LUPA. HELL EVEN A PROPERLY FUNCTIONING 17 HMR AUTO WOULD BE FUN.

Feedback Score

Default I knew someone here had to have the answers!!

Hey Guys thanks for the info. I know that doing the conversion kit for an AK will take time, patience and of course money. Well time and patience I have, and money well that is why I have a job. Any ways, I just want to be able to say, like most of you have I'm sure " Check this out, this is my baby and I built it all by my self". That's all I want. I appreciate all the comments and info that you have all posted. Like I said before my first build is a AMD 65 and have a friend that can help me, but can sure use more tips. Right now I'm working on bending my flat using the poor mans jig that GRASSHOPER was so gracious to show everyone how to build.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Like biggun said, the price of kits makes buying a Saiga *VERY* tempting!

Otherwise, I do like the fact I started with mostly a box of take-off parts from my other builds, stuff from a "G" build, and "lookie what I have"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Otherwise, I do like the fact I started with mostly a box of take-off parts from my other builds, stuff from a "G" build, and "lookie what I have"
    YOU BET I COULD HAVE SIMPLY BOUGHT A AR 15 VRMIT RIFLE AND BEEN DONE WITH IT. BUT BUILDING ONE THAT SHOOTS AS WELL OR BETTER FROM A BUNCH OF MISC PARTS AND THEN HIT STUF AT 600 YARDS WITH YOUR FRIENDS IS PRICELESS. i REALLY GET A KICK WHEN SOME GUY DISSMISES ANY AK AS INACCURATE THEN PULL MY MORFIDITE FRANKEN BUILD OUT AND OUT SHOOT THERE FANCY BOLT ACTION OR IGH $$$ AR. I LITTERALY HAD A GUY WITH A 223 HEAVY VARMIT REMINGTON PACK IT UP AT THE RANGE. HE WAS BLAMING HIS AMMO ECT. HE LET ME SHOOT A GROUP WITH HIS STUFF i PUT UP A 5/8" 100 YARD GROUP IN A SLIGHT WIND AND SAID WELL NOTHING WRONG WITH THE AMMO. HE WAS EMBARESSED 3 DAYS LATER HIS BUDDY TRACKED ME DOWN AND WANTED THE DETAILS OF MY GUN. NOW THE GUY IS TELLING HOW ACCURATE THEM DAMM AKS ARE. THE FEELING OF ACOMPLISHMENT IS A HUGE FACTOR.

BY THE WAY THAT AMD 65 WITH A GOOD TRIGGER, SCOPE, AND ESPECIALY AMMO/HANDLOADS SHOULD BE A VERY GOOD SHOOTER. ONE OF MINE IS MY MOST ACCURATE FACTORY BARREL 7.62X39 AROUND 1" GROUPS AT 100 ARE THE NORM. I FIND THIS STILL SUPRISING EVERY TIME I SHOOT IT. HELL ITS ONLY GOT A 12.5" BARREL AND A MILITARY CHAMBER BUT THEY CAN BE ACCURATE.

Feedback Score

1biggun, your awesome post has made me even more determined to go through with this build. See that's what I'm talking about. What about the guy that you ran off the range, have you seen him again? Has he asked about your ak. By the way what type of ak was it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.