Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 300 SAVAGE LOOKS GOOD

Feedback Score

Quote:
    123 Hansen M67 Yugoslavian factory load 2,424 57,900 CUP
    Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    YIKES THAT IS LIKELY AROUND 65,000 PSI. THAT IS WAY UP THERE FROM ANY PUPLISHED LOADS I HAVE SEEN. IT ALSO TELLS ME THAT AT LEAST THE YUGO IS PRETTY DAMM STRONG. THIS SHOULD ALSO EASE SOME MINDS. GOOD LINK THANK YOU. I SUPECT THE 308 BORE HAS A LITTLE TO DO WITH THE HIGHER PRESSURES. 2,424 FPS IS PRETTY GOOD AS WELL. SOME OF MY HAND LOADS ARE PRETTY HOT

I contacted some ammo collectors and figured this ammo had to be high pressure proof loads. I have seen other test of Yugo M67 ammo that was much milder and in line with standard AK ammo. The proof loads are in boxes similar to standard ammo and if people don't know how to read the language it's hard to tell the difference. That article was from years ago.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

wow that would suck to get a batch of poof ammo. and also invalidates my thougths that this was a normal round. and that the gun can take even more. HMMM

Feedback Score

That's a CE Harris article from 1985. He still post on the internet. I read it again and it's a 20 inch barrel. The velocity is not out of line but a proof load might have a heavier bullet. It might be a misprint or a mistake in the pressure measurement. The Soviet SKS velocity is 735 m/s and the Yugoslavian RPK velocity is 733 m/s. I think the Yugoslavian AK velocity is 720 m/s and the Soviet AK velocity is 715 m/s but some sources say 710 m/s.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I still think the 300 savage woud be a great round for a AK. necked down to 6.5mm would be a good one as well and blow the 6.5 grendal out of the water. theres a 270 savage wildcat in the cartridge conversion book made from 270 brass and cut down to 1.87" pushes a 130 grainer to 2763 FPS.

Feedback Score

Hornady now makes both a 6.5mm and a 30 caliber in cases that are 300 Savage size with better shoulder angles for auto rifles. I have seen an FAL in 300 Savage.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hornady now makes both a 6.5mm and a 30 caliber in cases that are 300 Savage size with better shoulder angles for auto rifles.
    good point. I wish the special powder those round use was avaliable.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    good point. I wish the special powder those round use was available.
    I think the 30 caliber uses special powder and the 6.5mm uses Hodgdon powder. I think they published the load data and used regular powder to help sell the cartridge. In an AK I don't think I'd want them at full power anyway because they still run high pressure with 308 size case heads. I just like the case shape better than 300 Savage. 300 Savage might not be a problem to feed an AK but these days it's not super popular, but it might outlast the new cartridges.

Feedback Score

I guess A 308 Saiga would be plenty strong enough but those high energy and slow powders can be tricking in a gas operated rifle.

Feedback Score

I've looked a bit more closely at 300 Savage. I guess the 30 degree shoulder might not be too bad for feeding. The load data and chamber pressure is mild. It beats 7.62x39 pretty well. It might be a "safer" choice to keep hot loaded ammo out of the rifle compared to other cartridges.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

It might be a "safer" choice to keep hot loaded ammo out of the rifle compared to other cartridges.
    that was my original thoughts and the possabilty of possably sectioning a mag a little bit to gain a little triggger guard room. I have a lot of HOT 308 ammo a round here for my bolt actions and I would hate to accidently get the wrong round into my 308 AK. I have a son who is only 8 and down the road he will be shooting these or inheariting them and I am a little leary

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.