Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 300 SAVAGE LOOKS GOOD

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I havent ruled out a G3 style mag well yet. This is not my first 308 win length build I have had a pistol up and running for several years. Im trying to step up the Quality of my next builds and get them more standardised.

Im getting tired of building recivers and buying kits and am gettting more and more interested in doing a high quality switch barrel build so that every time i want to try a new caliber all i got to do is turn the barrel and screw it in.

I just found a custom stainless light profile fluted 300 remington ultra mag barrel with a custom brake. I plan on rechambering this to 300 savage If I can keep enough stub OD to fit a threaded trunion. If I can then it will end up on a press in build possably in
    308x39 ( 308bore 7.63x39) or who knows a 300 savage as well. Its a lot more work building a 3" mag well gun than a standard one. the demples get in the way of a GS mag and the center support is further back custom rails need to be made. I normaly start with a custom flat that I make and bend that up. A bent blank is another way to go.

ARE THERE STILL BENT BLANKS FOR THE YUGO OUT THERE??????

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    ARE THERE STILL BENT BLANKS FOR THE YUGO OUT THERE??????
    As far as I can tell the only Yugo flats were the Tapcos, and those went out of stock six months ago. Last time I looked I found zero in stock anywhere.

AK-builder is still working on his die set for Yugo flats. Right now I have the Tapco flat for the test mule, and I'll buy an RPK receiver from NDS for the final build if I have to.

A couple of guys here on Gunco managed to put Yugo bulges into flats.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

im not talking about a flat Im takning about a bent blank. I can make a flat with the bulges it i need to. I dont want a mag well or any holes or demples so I will start from scratch. however there were prebent no holes drilled Blanks.

I have a couple of the folding stock tapco blanks still.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im thinking of slamming a barrel on a AMD 65 kit real quick just to get one of these up and running in 300 savage. Likley just go light barrel standard profile with AMD brake and all except it will have a big mag. I may also come up with a proof round of some sort and see what happens. I wish there was more data on over loads.

My next concern is if it handels 75,000 PSI is it still safe to shoot or has it been weekend possably? I have a really rusy kit Im tempted to do a 308 win test until destruction type deal I just want it to be usable data when Im done.

Is there any were in the US that will do proof testing on personal fire arms???

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I see on a few sites that 308 and 30-06 brass can be formed into 300 Savage. that would ease the cost of brass and finding it. I should have a reamer in a week or so.

2900 fps quality 130 GR bullets has really got me thinking this thing shoud shoot pretty flat out to 300 yards. much better than 2300 FPS 125 grain so so bullets.

I really need a chrono for this stuff. It will be interesting to se what a 14" barrel can do.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well here is the barrel im considering chambering to 300 savage its a krieger stainless steel fluted with a brake in 300win mag. Its almost a shame to waste on a 300 savage and im having reservations of doing it it might look better in 300 WSM on my 308 Sagia. I cant do a threaded barrel build on a 23mm trunion so it would have to be press and pined on a Yugo truion or I can go to a 22mm trunion anuse 24MM threads but here it is she is a beauty.

also a g3 mag in a saiga trunion I have a plan for this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well the barrel is chamberd (see my sons swith barrel build inthe build section)

I ran some 7.62x51 lake city brass through a standard sizing die and it formed just fine as near as i can tell i didnt aneal the brass or any thing. I had to trimm a ton of the neck but it fits the chamber fine. so the expensive brass issue is not a issue I think.

I was looking at the round when the case was still un trimmed and it got me to thinking. one of the issues with the 300 savage is susposedly the short neck. I have a 30cal neck and throat reamer, and am considering making the neck and throat of my chamber longer this will give a longer neck and allow better seating of the bullet. it will also allow me to not have to trim or not trim as much off a 308 case. 300 standard savage will still fire just fine but there will be a lot of free bore. 99% of ammo in this build will be hand loads any way so a custom chamber is not a big deal. It will be a semi wild cat in a way. I can call it the 300KBG ( Klaskinov Big GUN) or the 7.62 LN (long neck) or the 308 jungle bunny (Military/rabit hunter) who knows.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

So, I finally connect the dots and think, "why do all this jerking around modifying G3 or other .308 magazines when a Yugo .308 magazine will pop right in?

Then I searched for Yugo .308 magazines, and found out how much the cost. Um. Erm. Right.

8mm Yugo magazines are much cheaper than .308 mags, and should work with the Savage, but the 8mm is almost as long as a .30-06. Probably works great in a PSL-length receiver, though.

For some reason Galil .308 magazines are almost reasonable in price by comparison. The Galil has the front locking lug set a bit higher than a standard AK due to the "slant cut" front receiver, so a Galil mag will position the front of the bullet a bit lower. Worst case would be you'd have to modify the lug some, or maybe fiddle with the bullet guide, or both.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

were are 308 galil mags for sale reasonable??

I use the GS because there cheap enough that I can weld, cut grind etc. I like tht there not tapered i the front so the can be used with differant bullet diamiter with out much work. Tray getting a 35 gal or bigger round to run through a steped mag like the fal, m14, yugo 308, galail you cant because the mag narrows down to guide the bullet to the center and a bigger bullet will not fit in them. Im not married to the AK mag retention system. It not my favorite. it requires the reciver to be over a 1/4 longer than it needs to be an IMOO the AK reciver is to long to begin with.

Most of my conversions are one of a kind and I dont need a dozen mags for eachweapon or need them to interchange. on sime thing like a 308, 243, 260 etc a normal 308 mag is fine and it would be nice to use them if there less work.

On the GALIL i really dont like the shortend trigger clearance because they use the original AK style latch. I have a couple ideas for a ar type deal that will allow a center support as well as normal finger clearance.

Im working on this project today I also really wish I could get spell check to work on this site ERRRRRRRR

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The other plus is there are also CETME 5 rounders dirt cheap as well and many of my conversions are for hunting and most states only allow a 5 round mag so its one less thhing to gut down and modify.

In WI there are no mag restrictions for deer hunting I litteraly could walk the woods with a AK pistol with a 75 round drum in a shotgun/pistol only zone an deer hunt. It really shows how stupid some of are laws are. ban every thing but then I could do this if i wanted to be stupid. LOL It is interesting how much less recoil there is on a loaded drum equiped pistol but Im still not huning like that. I have to draw the line some were. I occasional will use a AMD 20 rounder when hunting but its just convinece not a need to have that many rounds. In the last 5 years i ahve only emptied a 10 round mag once and that was a crippled deer. any way back to working on this bad boy 300 jungle jungle bunny express.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.