Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: is it just me (head spacing)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I thought of the ejector also, but he said it will close without a gauge in.

Also is it a 5.56 bullet guide?
    "Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in."

"Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Feedback Score

The Bulgarian 5.56 AK bolt usually has a different angle a the cam lug where it contacts the bullet guide from a 7.62x39. There have been two versions of Bulgarian 5.56 AK's. Early ones with 22mm barrels and late ones with 23mm barrels. Some people say the bolts available only fit the early trunnions without changing the camming angle on the bolt lug.

Feedback Score

ok lets start from the ground up.
    rommy trunion, kvar 5.56 bullet gide, kvar 5.56 bolt head, kvar 5.56 barrel. rommy cariear
    1)with the bolt head and trunion the head will colse with and with out guage.
    2) trunion instaled in reciver bolt head will turn with and with out guage.
    3) trunion in reciver bolt head in carrer no gage, bolt assy. closes
    4) all parts with guage or spent case lock up with cariear 1/2" out of battery.
    the bolt head is not hanging up on the lower rals. when I removed the piston from the cairer the chasing tap would and did lock up (not that that would be the root cause) . I have a diffrent cairrer and will check it this week end. if not looks like its time for a marker and small file. all, thanks muttman

Feedback Score

What bolt carrier? The Bulgarian 5.56 bolt carrier is narrowed at the bottom to clear the 5.56 magazine. There may be other differences but I haven't noticed them. The 7.62x39 Romanian bolt carrier comes in at least two versions. One is flat on the bottom like most European bolt carriers but some have a rounded tapered bottom like the Chinese bolt carriers. Without cutting the tapered bolt carriers may work with 5.56 magazines. The flat bottom ones need cutting like the Bulgarian ones. Another important area to check is the bottom of the 5.56 bolt clearing the bullet guide. The 5.56 may sit too high in a 7.62x39 trunnion as the 5.56 bolt needs to strip the smaller diameter catridge.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

HMM MY VARMIT BUILD USES THE SAME PIECES TO MAKE IT A 223 (DIFFERANT BARREL). I HAD TO NARROW THE CARRER AS WELL BUT THAT WOULD ONLY BE A ISSUE WHEN THE MAG WAS INSTALLED. I HEAD SPACED MINE THE SAME WAY ON THE TIGHT SIDE WITH JUST THE BOLT IN THE TRUNION SEPERAT FROM THE RECIVER. i HAD NO PROBLEMS AND THE BOLT SHOULD CLEAR THE BULGY 223 BULLET GUIDE AS WELL. iS THERE ANY CHANCE THAT THE SCREWS ARE PUSHING IN ON THE BARREL AND DISTORTING THE CHAMBER SOME HOW?? iTS A LONG SHOT IMOA. THE CARRER BEING A HALF INCH OUT INDICATES TO ME THAT THE BOLT IS UP TO THE LUGS BUT NOT ROTATING IN. THE CARRER MOVES FORWARD ABOUT 1/2" TO ROTATE THE LUGS IN AND EXPOSE THE FIRING PIN TO THE HAMMER. IM THINKING THAT THE GUAGE IS LIKELY MOVING THE BOLT OUT OF ALIGNMENT AND CAUSING IT TO NOT ROTATE IN PROPERLY. I WOULD OF COURSE MAKE SURE THE GAS TUBE PISTON ECT IS NOT BINDING. WILL THE THE BOLT MOVE SIDE TO SIDE AT THE POINT WERE IT STOPS?? POSSABLY THE EJECTOR HAS ENOUGH CLEARANCE WHEN NO GUAGE IT INSALLED BUT ONCE THE CHAGE IS HOLDING THE BOLT IN THE CENTER THE EJECTOR TIP IS BINDING. EVEN WITH A ROUND CHAMBERD I have some side to side play (its amazing to me this thing shoots as well as it does)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

also check were the carrer on the RH side slides over the trunion (goes from the reciver rail to the trunion just below the charge handel they can catch there if every thing it no perfect) my varmit build does get a little tight there. YEA I HAVE MY WHOLE GUN APART LOOKING FOR POSSABLE ISSUES HERE. LOL

i THINK YOU MENTIONED IT BUT YOU DID CUT THE CHAMFER ON THE BOLT TO MATCH A ROMMY BOLT CORRECT?????? IM TALKING ABOUT WERE THE BOLT HITS THE RAMP ON THE BULLET GUIDE TO ROTATE THE BOLT IN.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THINKING EVEN WORE ABOUT THIS. IF THE LUGS ARE NOT EVEN OR INOTHER WORDS THE BOLT DOES NOT SIT TRUE TO THE BORE WHEN IT IS LOCKED IN PLACE IT WILL ALLOW IT TO ROTATE ON A GUAGE WHEN THERE IS NO CARRER BECAUSE THE BOLT CAN ANGLE TO ONE SIDE WITN TO RESISTANCE BUT ONCE THE CARRER IS IN PLACE AND RESURRE APPLED FROM THE GUGGE THE BOLT WILL WANT TO COCK TO ONE SIDE BUT THE CARRER WILL PREVENT IT. IT IS POSSABLE THAT THE LUCGS ARE NOT TRU TO THE ACTION. ie ONE LUG IS TO LONG. i AM WORKING ON A SAGIA THAT WAS SO BAD THAT IT WAS ONLY HITTING ON ONE LUG. IF IT HAD BEEN HEAD SPACED ON THE TIGHT SIDE iM SURE IT WOULD HAVE NOT ROTATED IN. PULL THE CARRER FROM THE RECIVER AND AS BEST AS POSSABLE SEE IF THE TAIL BOLT IS IN THE CENTER WHEN HOLDING IT AGAINST THE LUGS. HERE IS A PICTURE OF A BAD ONE

THIS ONE IS WORSE THAN THE PICTURE SHOWS. ONE LUG HAD NO WEAR WHAT SO EVER ON IT. THIS IS A LUG FAILURE WATING TO HAPPEN AS ALL THE PRESSURE WAS ON ONE LUG.

Feedback Score

I think I found what the root cause is, the barrel is sliding in the trunion. I reset head spacing. walked away and came back and checked one more time, all good. instaled the trunion in the reciver still all good with same bolt carrear. I then felt all was good (read got the hot and fuzzy). drilled the pin instaled barrel pin and checked, pass on go guage, bolt closes on nogo guage? I then scrached my watch and you get the picture....
    I remove the barrel pin and reset head space and check the barrel pin hole and find there is a visable miss match of barrel to trunion. set every thing back up reset and redriled the hole and the same thing one more time. Im not sure what I need to do at this point. Im open to anney and all idea's at this point. thanks for the help. muttman
    Last edited by muttman; 11-16-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: verbage.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

are you saying the barrel will actually move in the trunion with out being pressed?? this movement is occuring while you are drilling the hole??

if so then knurling the barrel or a smaller trunion is the only answer. I personaly dont like the whole knurling deal for a number of reasons.

Feedback Score

There are two diameter 5.56 Bulgarian barrels and trunnions from K-var. The early barrels and trunnion were 22mm and had threaded muzzles. The newer barrels and trunnion are suppose to be 23mm and since these normally have AK74 type front sight blocks I don't think the muzzles are threaded on any of these but there may be some overlap in design. The AK74 type sight block will fit the earlier threaded barrels as the front sight was originally the long (wide) milled receiver type but at AKM diameter. Sounds like you might have an early 22mm barrel in a 23mm trunnion or check the trunnion for cracks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.