Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: is it just me (head spacing)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

a 22mm barrel in a 23 mm trunion would be really loose. A cracked trunion is worth looking into I have heard of it happening.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I looked at K-var and two of the barrels are listed as 23mm the other barrel is not. There is about .040" diffference between 22mm and 23mm, so if it was a 22mm I think that it should just drop in the Romy trunnion. How much pressure does it take to remove/install the barrel or what are you using? It should take quite a bit of force to get it in or out.

It could be a cracked trunnion or trunnion on the max spec limit and barrel at the min spec limit. Do you have a mic to check the dimensions?
    "Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in."

"Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Feedback Score

I checked the barrel it mic out at 23+mm (as listed on pokies web page) the trunion I do not know, but after inspecting the trunion (no cracks) the i.d. looks to smoth like some one cleand it up. after pushing the barrel back out it did not require that mutch force to get it out. my next step is to A) Ping the barrel or B) use some locktight quick metal or C) ????. I will need to fill in the barrel to trunion slot on the barrel then chuck it up in the lathe and cut it back down to get a good slot recut in the barrel. the barrel is moving when I pin the dam thing. my biy pins are good checked then with a laser mic at work. instaling the pin is the only thing that I can come up with, every thing stays put untill the pin. let me know if there is a batter way to remove the slop from the barrel to trunion fit. muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

other than having it knurled I dont know another way I dont like knurling BTW but others have done it.. possabluy turning it down and adding a sleve cobled IMOA. sounds like you need a new trunion. my rommy barrel lying here mics at 23.04mm or.9075 " im getting .906" on the trunion = .0015 press fit I like to see .002.

I suspose you could have it plated some how to increase the OD not likely worth it. it reall need to be tight or it will likely work loose and have problems. Id try to mick the trunion some how.

depending on how much it moved you may be able to go with a bigger pin. How were you planing to fill the slot otherwise? cant really weld it IMOA

Feedback Score

.001" to .002" press fit is good and .002" is very tight. Much more and the trunnion can crack. Sounds like the barrel is in spec and should be left as is. Some trunnions are looser than others. I've had some factory built rifles that after I removed the retaining pin I could remove the barrel by hand. Maybe a slight knurling of the barrel will help. Maybe not the whole length of the journal though. Barrel steel isn't super hard. Some Garand barrels have their shoulders squeezed to get tighter timing against the receiver face.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

but after inspecting the trunion (no cracks) the i.d. looks to smoth like some one cleand it up. after pushing the barrel back out it did not require that mutch force to get it out.
    Was anything parked with the barrel out of the trunion?
    I ask because a friend tried to do a park job and he wasn't happy with it so he stripped it and parked it again, it ended up he did this several times, well he did something wrong and when he went to put it together the barrel just dropped right into the trunion with room to spare.

The only thing I can think of.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I remember that being discussed here.

001" to .002" press fit is good and .002" is very tight.

yea I wouldnt go more than .002. My varmit build is right at that (002). I have seen factory stuff tighter ocasionaly. If you have a lathe I would use as fine of a knurl as you can get away with. this will give you as much metal to metal contact as possable. do you have another trunion that you can try.

Feedback Score

big gun,
    yes and no on the trunion. I have a rommy kit that is slated for a milled reciver (when I get new side plate's) and the trunion is slated for a pistol. I could order one more demilled reciver from aaok and just make it a milled 5.56, hummmmm. the bad trunion(rommy) should fit the chopped rommy barrel. the down side would be, A) making more side plate's, B) making a sleave to press in the milled reciver. the up side would be the slot in the barrel would not be a problem at that point. not sure what I dooing at this point, and yes the tig welder did come to mind after setting headspacing and spacing moved. just kidding. if I stick with this trunion Ill weld the slot (mig) over a 12hr shift and that should keep it from damaging the barrel.
    muttman

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

"Quote:

I remember that being discussed here.
    "

Sorry I just skimmed through the thread and missed that.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

MAN I DONT LIKE WELDING ON BARRELS. IT CREATES A STRESS RISER AT THE WORST POSSABLE SPOT. iD GO WITH A BIGGER PIN IF POSSABLE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.