Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A REAL AK pistol...

Feedback Score

Default A REAL AK pistol...

Was thinking recently, and I came up with an idea... Is it feasible, or ludicrous??

1. Buy Nagant 7.62x29 revolver.
    2. Duplicate the wheel 1cm longer, or get a spare wheel and use a 1mm end piece and taper a bit wider at the end...
    3. elongate the frame 1cm for fitting said wheel.
    4. Run 7.62x39!!!

Would it work?

My theory behind this:

7.62x29 and 7.62x39 seem to be no different aside from the round and the length of the case... They both seem to have the same taper to the case, and dimensions aside from length. Also, the bullets between the two are a bit different, but I wouldn't think any (or much) different in width...

So in theory, all it'd take to chamber 7.62x39 in the Nagant revolver is a longer mag wheel...

Maybe I'm just a n00bsauce and need a good cartridge lecture... If that's the case, please teach me!

- CK
    Ask questions first; Distance? Windage? Elevation?
    ------------
    ""...when you capture spoils from the enemy, they must be used as rewards, so that all your men may have a keen desire to fight, each on his own account""

- Sun Tzu
    ------------
    "A petty thief is put in jail. A great brigand becomes a ruler of a State."
    - Zhuang Zi

Feedback Score

You would have to make the frame and the drum one CM = 10mm longer to take up for the difference in the casings + the difference in the bullets. But it sounds like a fun project, guess it would have some serious recoil

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

IM GUESSING THE CHAMBER PRESSURES ARE DIFFERANT AND THE FRAME WOULD NOT HOLD UP. WHAT ARE THE CHAMBER PRESSURES OF THE TWO ROUNDS?? FRAME WILL LIKLEY BE TO SHORT AS WELL. BIG JOB MAKING A LONGER CYLINDER WITH THE TIMING AND ALL. A 7.62X39 REVOLVER WOULD BE KIND OF COOL THOUGH

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I sure as hell not use a Nagant for MY base. Have you shot one? They will barely punch through a soup can ( slight exageration. not much)
    Just speaking for my ownself, I'd be a tad nervous with a cylinder full of rifle rounds.
    You might want to duct tape a few socks around that skinny grip.
    Get your mother in law to test fire.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

The diameter of the round's base [rim] would be a huge thing too, just go with 7.62x25 [tokerev] and enjoy the cheap ammo...

Feedback Score

I wonder how they deal with cylinder - barrel errosion ?? That is the main problem using such high pressure ammo in a revolver design.

Later,
    VD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The diameter of the cylinder would be such that the walls between the chambers and the outside surface would likely blow out from the higher pressures. Even the 7.62X25 conversions are iffy in that regard.

The original Nagant round is extremely weak, and the bullet is seated below flush as part of the "gas seal" action. BTW, the Nagant 1895 revolver round is a 7.62x38, never heard of a x29 before? The cylinder would need lengthening at least an inch to acomodate the X39 round. In any event, the cylinder's forward movemnt during the firing cycle means there is very little mechanical linkage holding it forward during firing. Doubt it would hold up.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Boom

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

the factory nagant round's pressure is very low, VERY low I swear you can see the round dribbling out of the barrel.

KABOOM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.