Gunco Forums banner

.22 conversion questions

4K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
A friend and I are discussing what it would take to build our own .22LR conversions for AKs. We have heard so many horror stories about Ceiner conversions that we dont want to gamble with them. We were wondering if the little barrel stub that fits into the chamber of their .223 AK conversions had any rifling in them, or if they rely on the AK's barrel to engage? For the 7.62 conversions we are discussing, it's a moot point, because they would have a few more inches of .22 barrel that will have to have rifling.

Anyone have a .22 conversion for your .223 AK?

#28 ·
sorry for crappy resolution,
the only time I have to shoot these pics is at night and flourecent lamps don't cut it.
bolt is a piece of 1-1/8" steel flat stock grooved for top rails.The bottom of the bolt will be a grade 8 bolt shaped like the center of a 10/22 bolt(the triangular part that passes over the mag stripping the round.Firing pin will pass thru a groove cut off center of the bolt centerline sandwiched between the top and bottom pieces.The rear will have to have a bulged lobe added to trip the hammer.practicing with a wood template and hand feeding it,50/50 right now.The tricky part is the extractor,consisting of two critical holes drilled at a non-10/22 angle looking at the bolt face ,the extractor needs to be positioned at a 10 o'clock angle to clear the receiver wall.small steps.....small steps.....small steps.recoil spring is another thing ,guess i'll tackle that bridge when Iget there.I'm just trying to keep it simple-Maddiman didn't mean to hijack your thread-tony

Attachments

#33 ·
A thought - Sarco is selling "shot out" Galil barrel 10 packs for $20:

Galil Rifle

GAL086
Galil, Barrel 5.56mm - badly pitted, in & out. Stripped of parts
100/$125.00
10/$20.00

you thinking of barrel relining with a rimfire linner possably? with a bad bore not sure what else they would be good for. possably blaster short barrel pistol. possably good for making muzzel attachments. 223 gatteling gun? the price is right thats for sure. were these chrome lined originaly??? if chrome lined with a bad bore then it would be hard to mahine out the center for any thing. right now Im trying to think of what i could do with these things that makes them worth more than $1.25.

on a Sarco note I havent seen my barrels of all the stuff I recently orderd for the scratch build there stuff hasent shown up yet. everyting else was here three days ago.

I was told the stuff would go out in a day or two. I hope this isint a issue with them I have never used them before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.