Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: .22 conversion questions

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

1biggun, try searching on "*22* *lr* conversion" (don't use the quotes).

The "*" are wildcards that extend the letter count to four on "22" and "lr" so you'll get matches of words with "22" and "lr" in them in your search, but that's one way around the 3 character limit.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Try "rimfire" instead of .22 LR.

AFAIK, no one has converted one yet but it shouldn't be too difficult. Take a .22 bolt from another firearm and make the necessary mods to make it slide back and forth in the AK. The Remington 590 style system where it rides on two rods would seem ideal. .22 bbl liner down the bore of a .30, chamber adapter for a .223.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post

The "*" are wildcards that extend the letter count to four on "22" and "lr" so you'll get matches of words with "22" and "lr" in them in your search, but that's one way around the 3 character limit.
    Cool! That's some valuable info right there!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THANK YOU

Try "rimfire" instead of .22 LR.

AFAIK, no one has converted one yet but it shouldn't be too difficult. Take a .22 bolt from another firearm and make the necessary mods to make it slide back and forth in the AK. The Remington 590 style system where it rides on two rods would seem ideal. .22 bbl liner down the bore of a .30, chamber adapter for a .223.
    tHERE ARE A FEW BOLTS ON GUN BROKER THAT MUGHT WORK OR AT LEAST GIVE YOU THE BOLT FACE AND EJECTER AND EXTRACTOR. MOST ARE BOLT ACTION i WAS THINKING OF JUST CUTTING ONE DOWN AND ATTACHING IT TO A HOME MADE CARRIER. AND THEN A LINER THAT WOULD SCREW INTO A SLEAVE IN FRONT OF THE ORIGINAL BARREL. THAT WAY YOU COULD USE A LINER THAT WAS 16" LONG. OTHER WISE IT LOOKS LIKE YOU WOULD BE RESTRICTED TO A SHORT SLEVE THAT WENT IN FROM THE BREACH END. iF IM GOING TO DO THIS i WANT IT TO BE ACCURATE. REALLY WANT A 17HMR CONVERSION AS WELL. BUT A 22 LR WOULD BE A GOOD START. THE MORE I LOOK AT THIS I START THINKING WHY NOT JUST BUILD THE WHOLE DAMM GUN FROM SCRATCH.

Feedback Score

Wouldn't a rifled chamber insert be better, getting the bullet spinning before it gets going real fast.
    It'd probably reduce leading [as the bullet begins spinning after 2" of barrel [the chamber insert] to speed up with the smooth bore one] Also, the rifling pitch probably wouldn't matter either, as any rotational speed would be better than nothing [as far as the bullet stripping off lead when it starts spinning in the rifling of the barrel]

Am I making any sense?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I haven't noticed any adverse leading in the throat area of my ar with the adaptor in it. I do get a lot of crap build up in the small gap where the end of the adaptor barrel meets the chamber. I think having the bullet pass through two different rifle patterns would be bad for accuracy.

Feedback Score

Hmm, okay, I guess it's a solution for a non-existent problem then...

Feedback Score

I've thought an 5.45x39 would make a good 22 Cal. rifle, just redo a chamber insert - cut the face off a bolt of a 22 bolt and weld it to the bolt face of a 5.45x39. it would be a single shot, but I don't see why it would not work. I know your talking 7.62x39 but a barrel insert is a PITA.

Feedback Score

Isn't the 5.45 bullet actually .21?

I hear this [finding .21 bullets] is one of the problems for reloading 5.45...

Feedback Score

Have you ever shot a Ruger 357 wheel gun with a 9mm additional cylinder, or used 38's
    With a used gun it should work. Just slug the barrel first & check it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.