Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: .22 conversion questions

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The 9mm uses .355" bullets and the 357 and 38 both use .357" bullets so the 9mm is actually .002" looser than what would normally be shot out of a 38/357. You'd probably be ok with 22lr in a 5.45, but I wonder if the barrel swaging the bullets down that much would be bad for accuracy?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

5.45 barrels and 22 RF barrels are .222 bore. the twist rate is differant however. here is proof and also a link to a 5.45 blanks. a ak74 would make a good canidate for a conversion possably better than a 5.56/223 barrel.

PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Barrels We Make

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I've thought an 5.45x39 would make a good 22 Cal. rifle, just redo a chamber insert - cut the face off a bolt of a 22 bolt and weld it to the bolt face of a 5.45x39. it would be a single shot, but I don't see why it would not work. I know your talking 7.62x39 but a barrel insert is a PITA.
    it will take a lot more than that even for a single shot. the bolt/carrrier needs to be all the way forward for the hamer to hit the pin correctly so the olt bolt will need to be trimed back . the firing pin must be off set to work with a rim fire as well. the breach face of the addapter likely will need to be moved back if you want to feed from a mag as it is unlikely that the round will pass the distance of the bullet guide reliably. a barrel liner that screwed into a chamber adapter would not be that hard. I would really like to see some up close detailed pictures of the ceiner conversion up close.

Feedback Score

Default build your own .22akm

Or, build a dedicated .22 lr build like I am trying to do,Basically all ak externals with a 10/22 barrel and feed system+cheap 30+round mags.
    just finished turning the 10/22 barrel to romy size journals -gas system is for looks -straight blowback,trunnion lugs cutaway 7.62x25 style(2xtm?)barrel setback flush with rear of trunnion,barrel rotated so extractor clears trunnion wall etc,etc 2 years off and on so far....
    mpi69 hammer spring
    mpi69 sear spring
    swiss cheesed hammer
    full sive romy top cover
    bunch of other nickel an dime stuff

working on a bolt, now have 10/22 extractor pin+spring have top of bolt done but need to start on the magwell before finishing the bottom feed part of the bolt.check my older posts-g.s
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Just a heads up for you .22 nuts , MPi69 mags, 8 of 'em, for sale in the arfcom EE. AR15.COM :: Forums :: WTS AK Mags, Bulgarian Waffle (black/green), 5.56mm, 5.45mm, East German 22LR
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I like the idea of building my own too. 10/22 barrels come up in the local classifieds regularly for under 30$, so I wouldn't worry too much if I buggered one up while experimenting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Gotsabot what are you doing for the bolt/carrier???? any pictures? I like what you have done so far. a 10-22 take of was my first thought as well.

Feedback Score

sorry for crappy resolution,
    the only time I have to shoot these pics is at night and flourecent lamps don't cut it.
    bolt is a piece of 1-1/8" steel flat stock grooved for top rails.The bottom of the bolt will be a grade 8 bolt shaped like the center of a 10/22 bolt(the triangular part that passes over the mag stripping the round.Firing pin will pass thru a groove cut off center of the bolt centerline sandwiched between the top and bottom pieces.The rear will have to have a bulged lobe added to trip the hammer.practicing with a wood template and hand feeding it,50/50 right now.The tricky part is the extractor,consisting of two critical holes drilled at a non-10/22 angle looking at the bolt face ,the extractor needs to be positioned at a 10 o'clock angle to clear the receiver wall.small steps.....small steps.....small steps.recoil spring is another thing ,guess i'll tackle that bridge when Iget there.I'm just trying to keep it simple-Maddiman didn't mean to hijack your thread-tony
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gotsabot View Post
    I'm just trying to keep it simple-Maddiman didn't mean to hijack your thread-tony
    No, no! This is what I wanted. You have already slogged through a lot of the hard stuff!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I LIKE IT SO FAR. WAS THINKING SOME THING SIMULAR. WAS THIKING OF BUILDING THE ENTIRE TRUNION AS WELL. AND ADDING A SCOPE MOUNT PROVISION TO IT WHILE I WAS AT IT. HOW MUCH DOES THE BOLT WEIGH??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.