Gunco Forums banner

.22 conversion questions

4K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
A friend and I are discussing what it would take to build our own .22LR conversions for AKs. We have heard so many horror stories about Ceiner conversions that we dont want to gamble with them. We were wondering if the little barrel stub that fits into the chamber of their .223 AK conversions had any rifling in them, or if they rely on the AK's barrel to engage? For the 7.62 conversions we are discussing, it's a moot point, because they would have a few more inches of .22 barrel that will have to have rifling.

Anyone have a .22 conversion for your .223 AK?

#2 ·
Im pretty sure the adapter is smooth bore for the 223 conversion. if it wasent you would have to have a exact match in rifleling to work right IMOO. im kicking around a conversion or a scratch built gun from spare parts. I want a 17 hmr as well. you can get 22lr to 223 chamber addapters for around $20. not sure how you would get it to feed and extract. I think on the ceiner set up the the addapter is sticking out of the barrel a ways. I have been looking for a cheap bolt source. a bolt action bolt could likely be modifed to fit in a custom carrier some how. Ive been tempted to just buy a wasr 22 and reverse engineer it and sell it when done. I want my conversion to use cheap mags possably rugger 10-22 or some other readly avaliable mag.

#5 ·
Moleman: OK, that answers that question, thanks.

I figured I'd better make sure I wasn't going to run afoul of the alphabet soup gang with a smoothbore chamber adapter.

1Biggun: From the pictures of the Ceiner conversions, it looks like you remove the BC and the bolt from the rifle, then slide in the whole conversion kit. The unit contains it's own straight blowback bolt on a couple of guide rods. As I understand, you use the original recoil spring to hold the conversion kit in place, but the unit itself has a couple of small springs on the bolt guide rods that reciprocate upon firing, and the original spring does not move. I have never handled a Ceiner kit, but I have spent some time looking at pictures of them online.

#6 ·
Anyone ever get a response from MCA? I sent an email over a week ago wanting to buy an adapter and never heard back. Might just need to call, but wonder how to explain the phone call to Alaska at work.

#7 ·
adapters

I use the mace adapters for my 308 and 303 in 32acp they are fun for plinking but not very accurate I also have a 45/70 and 45colt adapter from my martini in 455 they are fun and help tomake the rifle shootable but useless besides that

22 converter for the ak I have ciener kit I have never used it, as I have a east german MPi-69 kit I built up. she is a honey. I bought this kit about 5 years ago for $ 450, I saw one two years ago for sale they wanted over $ 900. the kit is a scaled down ak. that said the bolt is smaller the barrel block is completely different the mags look like ak mags but have insert for 22's

we have discussed this here before and if one extremely interested in really!! doing a project like this, they should first visit all the different builder sites and search the old threads first???????????????????????????????

research, research, research

sprat

#11 ·
1biggun, try searching on "*22* *lr* conversion" (don't use the quotes).

The "*" are wildcards that extend the letter count to four on "22" and "lr" so you'll get matches of words with "22" and "lr" in them in your search, but that's one way around the 3 character limit.

#13 ·

The "*" are wildcards that extend the letter count to four on "22" and "lr" so you'll get matches of words with "22" and "lr" in them in your search, but that's one way around the 3 character limit.
Cool! That's some valuable info right there!

#12 ·
Try "rimfire" instead of .22 LR.

AFAIK, no one has converted one yet but it shouldn't be too difficult. Take a .22 bolt from another firearm and make the necessary mods to make it slide back and forth in the AK. The Remington 590 style system where it rides on two rods would seem ideal. .22 bbl liner down the bore of a .30, chamber adapter for a .223.

#14 ·

THANK YOU :)

Try "rimfire" instead of .22 LR.

AFAIK, no one has converted one yet but it shouldn't be too difficult. Take a .22 bolt from another firearm and make the necessary mods to make it slide back and forth in the AK. The Remington 590 style system where it rides on two rods would seem ideal. .22 bbl liner down the bore of a .30, chamber adapter for a .223.
tHERE ARE A FEW BOLTS ON GUN BROKER THAT MUGHT WORK OR AT LEAST GIVE YOU THE BOLT FACE AND EJECTER AND EXTRACTOR. MOST ARE BOLT ACTION i WAS THINKING OF JUST CUTTING ONE DOWN AND ATTACHING IT TO A HOME MADE CARRIER. AND THEN A LINER THAT WOULD SCREW INTO A SLEAVE IN FRONT OF THE ORIGINAL BARREL. THAT WAY YOU COULD USE A LINER THAT WAS 16" LONG. OTHER WISE IT LOOKS LIKE YOU WOULD BE RESTRICTED TO A SHORT SLEVE THAT WENT IN FROM THE BREACH END. iF IM GOING TO DO THIS i WANT IT TO BE ACCURATE. REALLY WANT A 17HMR CONVERSION AS WELL. BUT A 22 LR WOULD BE A GOOD START. THE MORE I LOOK AT THIS I START THINKING WHY NOT JUST BUILD THE WHOLE DAMM GUN FROM SCRATCH.

#15 ·
Wouldn't a rifled chamber insert be better, getting the bullet spinning before it gets going real fast.
It'd probably reduce leading [as the bullet begins spinning after 2" of barrel [the chamber insert] to speed up with the smooth bore one] Also, the rifling pitch probably wouldn't matter either, as any rotational speed would be better than nothing [as far as the bullet stripping off lead when it starts spinning in the rifling of the barrel]

Am I making any sense?

#16 ·
I haven't noticed any adverse leading in the throat area of my ar with the adaptor in it. I do get a lot of crap build up in the small gap where the end of the adaptor barrel meets the chamber. I think having the bullet pass through two different rifle patterns would be bad for accuracy.

#18 ·
I've thought an 5.45x39 would make a good 22 Cal. rifle, just redo a chamber insert - cut the face off a bolt of a 22 bolt and weld it to the bolt face of a 5.45x39. it would be a single shot, but I don't see why it would not work. I know your talking 7.62x39 but a barrel insert is a PITA.:hatprop::headspin:

#20 ·
Have you ever shot a Ruger 357 wheel gun with a 9mm additional cylinder, or used 38's
With a used gun it should work. Just slug the barrel first & check it.

#21 ·
The 9mm uses .355" bullets and the 357 and 38 both use .357" bullets so the 9mm is actually .002" looser than what would normally be shot out of a 38/357. You'd probably be ok with 22lr in a 5.45, but I wonder if the barrel swaging the bullets down that much would be bad for accuracy?

#23 ·
I've thought an 5.45x39 would make a good 22 Cal. rifle, just redo a chamber insert - cut the face off a bolt of a 22 bolt and weld it to the bolt face of a 5.45x39. it would be a single shot, but I don't see why it would not work. I know your talking 7.62x39 but a barrel insert is a PITA.
it will take a lot more than that even for a single shot. the bolt/carrrier needs to be all the way forward for the hamer to hit the pin correctly so the olt bolt will need to be trimed back . the firing pin must be off set to work with a rim fire as well. the breach face of the addapter likely will need to be moved back if you want to feed from a mag as it is unlikely that the round will pass the distance of the bullet guide reliably. a barrel liner that screwed into a chamber adapter would not be that hard. I would really like to see some up close detailed pictures of the ceiner conversion up close.

#24 ·
build your own .22akm

Or, build a dedicated .22 lr build like I am trying to do,Basically all ak externals with a 10/22 barrel and feed system+cheap 30+round mags.
just finished turning the 10/22 barrel to romy size journals -gas system is for looks -straight blowback,trunnion lugs cutaway 7.62x25 style(2xtm?)barrel setback flush with rear of trunnion,barrel rotated so extractor clears trunnion wall etc,etc 2 years off and on so far....
mpi69 hammer spring
mpi69 sear spring
swiss cheesed hammer
full sive romy top cover
bunch of other nickel an dime stuff

working on a bolt, now have 10/22 extractor pin+spring have top of bolt done but need to start on the magwell before finishing the bottom feed part of the bolt.check my older posts-g.s

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.