Thread: .30 Carbine Wildcat

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default .30 Carbine Wildcat

Found this whilst doing some web searches today. Sounds similar in concept to some of these other .06-based rounds. Anyone know anything about this cartridge?

The 375/38-40 Rimless. The 357/38-40 rimless was developed as a cartridge for use in conversions of the US M1 carbine. It is, in effect, a rimless 38-40 winchester. It originated sometime in the 1960's by George Heubnar. There is also a very similar wildcat known as the .357 Shannon. Both cartridges are made by shortening and necking down .30-06 brass, and both have practically the same ballistics.

The M-1 carbine has been the object of a number of caliber conversions aimed at improving its usefulness as a hunting rifle for either varmint or big game. The 30 Carbine cartridge in itself is not a particularly a good varmint cartridge and is under-powered on deer sized animals. The 357/38-40 is an effort to turn the handy M-1 carbine into a legal deer rifle, something it does fairly well. The Cartridge is adequate for deer or black bear at short ranges. It would probably do almost as well as th 44 magnum fired in a rifle. Case capacity is slightly less than the 38-40.

180 grain behind 22 grains of 2400 with a MV of 1855 fps. (ME: 1380)
    200 grain behind 20 grains of 2400 with a MV of 1800 fps. (ME: 1510)
    Extracted from Cartridges of the World, 6th Edition, 1989.

Feedback Score

I was going to build one of those but decided to build a 357 Automag instead. The problem with the 375/38-40 was the bullets. Not too many available. Also you have to make another barrel. With the 357 Automag, I had the barrel rebored to 357. Then got a set of dies to make the ammo. Sent some ammo to Clymer and had a reamer built. The face of the carbine bolt had to be opened up for the larger base and an extractor modified. I later found that the extractor from the the Universal Vulcan 44 pump carbine would work better than the modified stock one. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and Universal was still around. I ended up with a carbine that would give a 158 gr jacketed bullet 2000 fps, a useful gain. Had to drop the 357 Automag loading data by 10 percent to get a useable load. The 15 shot mag held 7 rounds and the 30 shot held 14 rounds. No mods to the mags or feed ramp was necessary. Accuracy was excellent. The scope mounts available then were a problem as the brass would hit the scope. Now we have a forward scope mount that replaces the handguard so that would work well.

I live in a eskimoe village of 200 great hunting & fishing
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

there was a old gunsmith named millie in northern minn area where I grew up as a kid. He had taken a M-1 carbine and used a 44mag case necked down to 357 dia made for a really neat brush gun he made quite a few over the years he showed me one in his shop he must have been around 80 years old 15 shot M1 carbine clip held around 8 shots I wish I had one now

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.