Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 5.7x28mm precision rifle...

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jimr View Post
    Find yourself a destroyer carbine and rebarrel and chamber it.
    It is cambered for the 9mm largo. Also the extractor will
    also need work. I converted one to the 7,62 x 25 works
    fine.
    The rim dia. for 9mm, 9mm largo and 7.62x25mm are almost exactly the same (9.96 (.392))
    5.7x28mm has a tiny little rim: (7.80 mm (0.307 in). which is only slightly larger than 22 rimfires. You'll need to do alot more than just tweak the extractor.

The .22 Reed Express firearm cartridge was designed by Reed's Ammunition & Research. It is a 7.62 x 25 mm Necked Down to a .22 caliber bullet. This cartridge gives better ballistic performance than the FN Five-seveN's 5.7 x 28 mm with the same barrel length, although at a price of lower magazine capacity.

Feedback Score

Maybe it's the M1 carbine rim diameter, I'll have to look for the site I usually use for cartridge diagrams, I can never find it...

EDIT: Nope, not even close, .30 carbine's rim diameter is .360

EDIT2: Moleman beat me to it...

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The 30 carb is .360" at the rim. It should fit ok if you sleave the bolt face. You still won't have a really good scope mount for the gun though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THEN AGAIN IF I HADE A DESTROYER CARBINE I WOULD JUST SHOOT IT AS IS. WHY MESS WITH IT. 9MM LARGO IS AVALIABLE.

Feedback Score

Not as cheaply as x25 though...

Feedback Score

Default Answer to bigun1

Why change caliber. I own 5 and it gives me something to do
    when i'm not working on one of my other projects

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Why change caliber. I own 5 and it gives me something to do
    when i'm not working on one of my other projects

ID LIKE TO HAVE A DESTROYER IF I HAD 5 I WOULD BE FOOLING WITH THEM AS WELL LOL... POST SOME PICS OF THEM.

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE 9MM LARGO WOULD BE A BETTER ROUND NOT CONSIDRING PRICE OF COURSE. NO ARGUMENT THAT X25 IS CHEAPER. AT LEAST RIGHT NOW.

Feedback Score

I just converted a Destroyer to 9x19mm. Simple enough. Just took the barrel out and faced the chamber and shoulder back two turns of the threads so I can use the original rear sight. Also shortened to 16 1/2" and threaded for a Gemtech Trinity. I test fired it yesterday. Nice little gun. If I had access to more of them I'd rebarrel one to 7.62x25. Why not?

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Actually, it's a bottlenecked case.

VZ, You are getting old like me!!!!

The 5.7 is a bottleneck case.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CeeKay View Post
    Was kinda throwing the idea around last night, doing a small amount of research (maybe not enough)...

I was thinking...

If I were to take a .22wmr bolt action rifle, like a Marlin 982 with stainless bull barrel, and granted I could find the right drill bit and a drill press, I think I could build a 5.7x28mm precision rifle!!!

According to Wikipedia (only place I found a good comparison table), the differences I've found were:

Length: 2mm
    Rim: .019"
    Shot: Rimfire vs. Centerfire, though possibly switched by simple grinding/filing (with hardening of course)
    Chamber: Straight cartridge at .241 as opposed to .310...

Also, the 5.7x28mm has a very steep shoulder angle, which would probably be about right with just a standard .310" drill bit...

Whaddya guys think?

Would a .22wmr bolt catch and hold a 5.7x28, or would I have to increase the diameter by .019? How would I go about doing this?

Does the Marlin 982 have a center-to-rim pin block, or an off-center-to-rim pin block? This is crucial if I'm going to try and cobble the firing pin from a rimfire firing pin block...

I'd probably have to chase the new chamber with another smaller bit to make a pocket for the neck, which could be the 2mm difference between lengths. I haven't looked at a .22wmr up close yet...

Think the .22wmr bull barrel would hold up to the 5.7x28mm chamber pressure?

I think it'd be way neat to have a 5.7x28mm precision rifle, especially if I could cobble a mag adapter that would hold Five-seveN magazines... That'd be later... MUCH later. For now, I'd go with just standard single-shot until I whip up a magazine solution.

What about mags? Would the 7-round 22wmr hold 5.7x28mm? What about the ejector size? Would I have to move it back 2mm to accomodate a longer round, or would it still be able to kick out the 5.7x28mm?

Does anyone have a Marlin 982 in .22wmr and access to a 5.7x28mm round? Or just a .22wmr and 5.7x28mm for visual comparison?

Thanks,
    - CK

[edit] Is there anything else I need to know about swapping calibers? Am I underestimating the job? [/edit]
    Hi Ceekay,

Cool idea, Don't do it!!!!! At least not with the donor rifle you are looking at now. You will most likely need to do one of the following, if not all:

1. Change the bolt face, most likely you will need to enlarge it slightly if it is not flat faced.
    2. Change (meaning fabricate) a new firing pin and extractor.
    3. Modify the bolt for new firing pin and extractor.
    4. buy a 5.7 chamber reamer, probably both rough and finish reamers. Do not use a drill bit, I am certain that you have nice eyes, and dont want to crude them up with powder burns or brass fragments.
    5. Simply hardening the bolt may not do it. In fact, you may be making a huge mistake that will make the bolt more brittle, like really hard glass.
    6. I am not intimately familiar with either cartridge you mention in your post, so I am simply conjecturing that the 5.7 uses a slightly more "explosive" powder; maybe faster burning is a better way to describe it. The rifle was designed for an older, perhaps slower burning powder. You may want to review the SAAMI data for both cartriges, and pay special attention to the measurements of pressure. There are chamber pressures, and the rearward pressure, but I can not remember the term for it.

I am not really trying to be a kill-joy, but it just sounds like a non-starter to me. And I like taking risks! That's how I got all of my kids!!!!!

Take Care.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.