Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 5.7x28mm precision rifle...

Feedback Score

Default 5.7x28mm precision rifle...

Was kinda throwing the idea around last night, doing a small amount of research (maybe not enough)...

I was thinking...

If I were to take a .22wmr bolt action rifle, like a Marlin 982 with stainless bull barrel, and granted I could find the right drill bit and a drill press, I think I could build a 5.7x28mm precision rifle!!!

According to Wikipedia (only place I found a good comparison table), the differences I've found were:

Length: 2mm
    Rim: .019"
    Shot: Rimfire vs. Centerfire, though possibly switched by simple grinding/filing (with hardening of course)
    Chamber: Straight cartridge at .241 as opposed to .310...

Also, the 5.7x28mm has a very steep shoulder angle, which would probably be about right with just a standard .310" drill bit...

Whaddya guys think?

Would a .22wmr bolt catch and hold a 5.7x28, or would I have to increase the diameter by .019? How would I go about doing this?

Does the Marlin 982 have a center-to-rim pin block, or an off-center-to-rim pin block? This is crucial if I'm going to try and cobble the firing pin from a rimfire firing pin block...

I'd probably have to chase the new chamber with another smaller bit to make a pocket for the neck, which could be the 2mm difference between lengths. I haven't looked at a .22wmr up close yet...

Think the .22wmr bull barrel would hold up to the 5.7x28mm chamber pressure?

I think it'd be way neat to have a 5.7x28mm precision rifle, especially if I could cobble a mag adapter that would hold Five-seveN magazines... That'd be later... MUCH later. For now, I'd go with just standard single-shot until I whip up a magazine solution.

What about mags? Would the 7-round 22wmr hold 5.7x28mm? What about the ejector size? Would I have to move it back 2mm to accomodate a longer round, or would it still be able to kick out the 5.7x28mm?

Does anyone have a Marlin 982 in .22wmr and access to a 5.7x28mm round? Or just a .22wmr and 5.7x28mm for visual comparison?

Thanks,
    - CK

[edit] Is there anything else I need to know about swapping calibers? Am I underestimating the job? [/edit]
    Last edited by CeeKay; 02-03-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    Ask questions first; Distance? Windage? Elevation?
    ------------
    ""...when you capture spoils from the enemy, they must be used as rewards, so that all your men may have a keen desire to fight, each on his own account""

- Sun Tzu
    ------------
    "A petty thief is put in jail. A great brigand becomes a ruler of a State."
    - Zhuang Zi

Feedback Score

I don't know about WMR, but LR usually uses the bolt handle as the locking lug, that'll shear off with any centerfire cartridge, besides, the gun isn't made for the pressures, you'd be better off rebarreling something like a .223, even using a drill bit as a chamber reamer is asking for stuck cases...

Feedback Score

why 5.7x28mm? It's adaquate in a P-90, and maybe it's a fun shooter in a 5.7 pistol, but why a bolt action?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THERE IS MORE TO CHAMBERING A BARREL THAN JUST DRILLING WITH A DRILL BIT YOU ARE DEALING WITH A ROUND THAT HAS BODY TAPER AS WELL AS THROAT AND A NECK. THE RIM IS OBVIOUSLY WAY THE HELL BIGGER THAN A 22 MAGNUM. THE PRESSURES ARE WAY HIGHER AND THE BULLET MIGHT BE BIGGER THAN A 22 MAG BORE. UT WILL TAKE A CORRECT REAMER AND THE BOLT WILL LIKELY NOT WORK OR HOLD THE PRESSURE. IF YOU WANT ONE OF THESE IN 5.7X28 THEN START WITH A CENTER FIRE RIFLE. OR JUST BUY A 22 HORNET OR A 218 BEE

5.7 mm FN Ammunition

Feedback Score

The CZ comes in 221 Fireball. You could convert it to 5.7 but it would be a lot of work. The easiest would be a TC Encore. A barrel could be made up to fit. Try SSK, he does a lot of custom chamberings. I dont think any of the 22 rimfire actions would be strong enough except maybee the Ruger M77/22. But then the mag would be a problem.

Feedback Score

Was thinking of "anything smaller, but the best match" when I chose .22wmr...

.22wmr matches almost identically, aside from CF vs. RF, and cartridge width...

K, so chamber reamer and not drill bit...

About the bolt not holding the pressure: What about heat treating?

Never figured the bolt would fail, at least under 5.7x28mm... Not that mean of a round, is it?

Thanks for the info.
    - CK
    Ask questions first; Distance? Windage? Elevation?
    ------------
    ""...when you capture spoils from the enemy, they must be used as rewards, so that all your men may have a keen desire to fight, each on his own account""

- Sun Tzu
    ------------
    "A petty thief is put in jail. A great brigand becomes a ruler of a State."
    - Zhuang Zi

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There is the remington 581 type bolt action with 6 rear locking lugs. It was available in 22 mag and hornet (don't know the model # though). Its strong enough for what you want, but by the time you found a hornet center fire front bolt section or make one you'd be better off price wise to use a cheap mauser action. At that point I'd just make a 223 or 22-250.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THE 5.7X28 WOULD MAKE A NEAT LITTLE BOLT ACTION BUT FOR IT TO BE WORTH THE TROUBLE IT WOULD NEED TO OFFER SOME THING A GOOD QUALITY 22 MAG WONT GIVE YOU. IT MIGHT BE A LITTLE BETTER THAN A 22 MAG ESPECIALY IF RELOADED BUT NOT BY MUCH THE AMMO IS EXPENSIVE AS WELL. TO DO IT RIGHT YOU WILL NEED A $100 PLUS REAMER A GOOD SOLID RECIVER. HEAT TREATING AN EXSITING 22 MAG BOLT WILL NOT DO MUCH AS THEY ARE LIKELY ALREADY HEAT TREATED.
    ITS NOT A ROUND I WOULD DO AS THERE ARE MUCH BETTER RIFLE ROUNDS ALREADY OUT THERE ONCE THE 22 MAG RUNS OUT OF RANGE. I SHOOT MY 22 MAG OUT TO 150 YARDS ON PRAIRE DOGS AND AFTER THAT THE NEXT STEP IS A 223.
    IF I HAD A PISTOL THAT SHOT THAT ROUND ALREADY THEN IT WOULD BE POSSABLY OF MORE INTEREST TO ME.

I SEE SOME ROUNDS HAVE .223 BULLETS AND SOME HAVE .224???? IM GUESSING THE FACTORY BORE IS SLIGHTY LARGER THAN A 22 MAG OR 223 BORE.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Bullet diameter is .224 on the 5.7
    Bullet diameter on the 22 mag is .223

the 5.7 is a straight wall case and does not have much more recoil then a 22 mag.
    a single lug like a 22 mag should be fine. They do operate blow back weapons.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by vz58 View Post
    the 5.7 is a straight wall case ...
    Actually, it's a bottlenecked case.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.