Thread: AK-9mm Build

Feedback Score

Default AK-9mm Build

Hey everyone I have been thinking of this for awhile now. I just bought a Mac-10 in 9mm that uses Sten mags. I wanted to know how do I go about building a pistol AK in 9mm using Sten mags.

Im basing this off the AKS-74U model. The only thing Im not wanting is a stock.

My questions are-

How do I take an AK flat and make it to except Sten mags?

Should this gun use the return gass port or whats a better way?

Where can I find a 9mm carbine barrel?

Could I use an AR barrel in 9mm?

Where is the best place to buy a parts kit?

Would I have to have a AKS-74U parts kit?

Im just thinking of being able to use my sten mags on another gun and looking for a fun project to do. I will have help in building this and really need to know what parts and the best way to go about this project. Thanks all.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There's several people here that have built them. http://www.gunco.net/forums/f50/9mm-ak-32006/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

There are several ways to modify a flat for use with a 9mm mag, including the AK-Builder one already cut for an XTM magwell. Essentially, you are going to have to fabricate or buy a magwell that accepts sten mags and weld it onto the receiver.

9mm has very little gas to operate the action, while it could be done the easiest way is to convert the rotating bolt system into a straight blowback action.

Numrich Gun Parts has bbl blanks, also check Gunbroker and the various gun boards for private sales.

Almost any 9mm bored bbl can be made to work, all it requires is a lathe.

Copes and K-var have parts kits for sale, kinda pricey though.

Depends on how much you want the pistol to look like a Krink. Might be cheaper just to buy a regular Ak74 bolt, carrier, and trunnion and start from there, buying the rest and assembling a "kit" from pieces. The flip up topcover is the hardest thing to replicate as the piece that takes place of the rear sight base is not very common any more. MGS sells the flip up rail that fits into a stock rear sight base and rivets to the topcover, converting it into a flip up. AK-47 Flip-top Rail [WLAAKWEAVER] - $75.00 : Military Gun Supply, Your Source for Military Guns and More!

Feedback Score

This sounds like and from looking around not a cheap project.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

This sounds like and from looking around not a cheap project.
    NOT ANY MORE THE PRICE OF KITS REALLY KILLS IT NOW A DAYS. THERE AHAVE BEEN SOME REALLY NICE GUNS BUILT IN 9MM HOWEVER. MANY THAT USE THE SUNOMI MAGS AND DRUMS.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If you have access to a lathe and a lot of spare time you can make a sgn-9 off of a suomi kit pretty reasonable. You can make it use sten or suomi mags. They don't look like a AK though.

Feedback Score

Hey thanks guys I may check into the suomi dont know much about them.

Would be any cheaper if I bought an AK and converted to a 9mm. Also any way of doing this to covert it back and forth from 9mm to 7.62x39 like you can an AR. Im thinking you cant but would like to exaust all options. Thanks everyone.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I see no easy way to make the ak platform a quick change barreled gun as long as it uses a pressed in barrel. One of things on my suomi kit build ideas is an ar15 upper using the suomi bolt and barrel. The sgn-9 article in SGN turned the bolt down to around 1" which is close enough to an ar15 bolt carrier. Then I'd need to lengthen and modify the suomi barrel to fit the ar15 upper receiver and extend the feed ramp or make it part of the magwell adaptor. but once again you'll need a lathe or access to one to build it.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.