Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone built an AK in .22 LR?

Feedback Score

Postak Has anyone built an AK in .22 LR?

Has anyone built an AK in .22 LR using an AK receiver (or flat) similar to the WASR-22? I have an extra receiver I bent from a flat which I could use to try to make one with a parts kit which doesn't have a barrel.

If anyone has a WASR-22 any pictures or drawing of the bolt and bolt carrier would help. I wouldn't mind making one like the WASR-22 using Black Dog Machine magazines or build one based on the 10/22 bolt in the AK receiver.

If anyone has ideas let me know or post them in this thread. Ammo is getting expensive and you can still shoot off a couple hundred rounds of .22 without going broke.
    Die terrorist scum!

Feedback Score

Hello uzitiger,
    Possibly the solution is with a caliber adapter for a standard 7.62x39mm type AK. Rimfire adapters exist for the M-16/M-4 originally for use on indoor ranges.

It seems that a conversion bolt, a barrel/chamber liner, and an adapter magezine may solve the problem. The .22 cal bolt would have no locking lugs and allow elementary blowback operation. The cartridge ejector could be the corner of the mag as in the German Voere .22's and some others.

If cycle energy proves too low a lighter "k" recoil spring may solve it. If more cycle energy is required perhaps a special chamber insert such as Carbine Williams developed for the .22 cal 1919 BMG conversion. His chamber adapter-insert acted as an internal drive piston.

Some thoughts for fellows with well-equipped shops.

VD

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Get a hold of SOG. They used to have an AK22 in the "Gun Smiths Specials" section, they were firearms that had minor damage or missing small parts. I don't know any more details or if they even have any more.

Feedback Score

Default 22 LR conversion

Saw an ad in Guns & Ammo about 22LR conversion, on many guns including AK47.. Jonathan Arthur Ciener, Inc. Gun Conversions Pretty pricy, but it will pay off in the long run.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I'm just getting all the stuff gathered up to do this myself. I'm going to use an AMD-65 barrelless kit, 10-22 barrel, black dog machine mag. The bolt is the only thing I'm not sure about. I've got the recoil spring/guide rod figured out, but I'll probably have to try different springs to get it right.
    I'd rather be a "has been" than a wannabe!

2TIMOTHY2,4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairsof this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

God, Guns and Guts made America free,
    Lets keep all three.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I've seen some .22 AK's in gun shops but not conversion kits. The complete rifles that I have seen have had the thumbhole stock.

Feedback Score

Most likely WASR22s.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious View Post
    Saw an ad in Guns & Ammo about 22LR conversion, on many guns including AK47.. Jonathan Arthur Ciener, Inc. Gun Conversions Pretty pricy, but it will pay off in the long run.
    Don't hold your breath waiting on these guy's!
    Horrible customer service and very rude in my 2 dealings with them!

Feedback Score

Black Dog machine is currently talking about coming out with a copy/update of the AKT-98 parts to install in a new flat. We will see what happens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.