Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Rahatlakhoom how is the 8mm holding up

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I took a used M76 barrel from Apex Arms for this build.
    It's in fair to good shape. I can get some tight groups at
    50 yds, beyond that, it falls off into 3-4 moa.
    I feed it the steel cased Romanian ammo.
    Charter member-Busted Box Club est. 2006

"I will adhere to the Patriot Act, the one signed in 1776"
    - Marc Anderson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The build in action:

- Marc Anderson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Hey good video... glad to see she's working so good for you!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks for the video
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm sure you've already addressed this but did you tig weld your bolt extension? or would a mig work, maybe get too hot and hurt the heat treat. i have all the parts collected to make an 8mm as you did since i've been fallowing your 8mm built for quite some time now. I decided to buy a new m76 barrel from orf. I was wanting to use an m70 adjustable gas block but it's much smaller than my barrel, would you advise welding a new tube onto the gas block, turning down my new barrel or maybe just using a different gas block altogether? also i need to sort out a sight bas as it has the same issue. anyway your build is just awesome and i love 8x57 ammo (plus would only need one die set since everything else i have is 8mm

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Very sweet, it cycles so smoothly! Thanks for the video
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jreifsch80 View Post
    I'm sure you've already addressed this but did you tig weld your bolt extension? or would a mig work, maybe get too hot and hurt the heat treat. i have all the parts collected to make an 8mm as you did since i've been fallowing your 8mm built for quite some time now. I decided to buy a new m76 barrel from orf. I was wanting to use an m70 adjustable gas block but it's much smaller than my barrel, would you advise welding a new tube onto the gas block, turning down my new barrel or maybe just using a different gas block altogether? also i need to sort out a sight bas as it has the same issue. anyway your build is just awesome and i love 8x57 ammo (plus would only need one die set since everything else i have is 8mm

A MIG welder would work fine. Not much heat treat on a bolt carrier, if anything.

I would not weld the gas block onto the barrel, I'd weld a larger sleeve of tubing to it then press it all onto the barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

thanks i was thinking that too just need to fab a new lever to replace the grenade sight/lever on my m70 gasblock but that shouldn't be too hard. I almost feel bad making my frankenstein m76 from the kit i bought, got one of those m70 underfolders minus the stock rear trunnion trigger guard/mag latch 149 from cf turned when i was inspecting it everything there is all numbers matching 1989 date and in wonderfull shape (besides the almost non-existant rifling haha) but it's a good foundation. anyway for mags I am going to try using those french 7.5 LMG mags that are super cheap from IMA, I know everyone might want to say "the 7.5 is 54mm case and 8mm mauser is 57mm" but after some research I found the french 7.5 originally had a 57mm case but was changed since too many misshaps happened from people chambering 8x57. I doubt they redesigned their mags and recievers to make up for a 3mm shorter round but i'll find out tomorrow when they come in the mail. I'll let everyone know since these are such cheap mags (i got 4 for 20, but they have 25 for 100$, I'm not advertising by any means by the way)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jreifsch80 View Post
    I use mig only. I can do finely detailed work with it.
    You want a good hot bead with it and let it air cool.
    I would advise getting an RPK gas block and enlarging it to fit the
    8mm barrel. Don't turn down the barrel, this may create a weak area
    and compromise the barrel wall. RPK front sight will also be more workable.
    I merged mine into an FAL flash hider assembly. There are a lot of details
    to consider in this conversion, but stick with it.

- Marc Anderson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

very cool thanks for the advise, i was bored and measured my m70 barrel and my m76 (was lazy and used my .01 dial caliper) and it appears that my new barrel has roughly the same sized front sight area, the gas block area is roughly .750 so a larger gas block is needed for sure, (I might look into fabricating a new one as the only gas blocks large enough i've found are 55 dollar yugo rpk's that would need to be shimmed anyways) now i need to find a romy rpk hand gaurd retainer. at least i've found new yugo rpk rsbs for reasonable and that would work great. Do you by chance know where i could find rpk barrel parts for sale? thanks for the info you've given me I like your build quite a bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.