Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: .50 Beowulf?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

slam fires do happen I have had it happen with some reloads with comercil primers. It is enough to worry about if it wasent they wouldent bother to make spring loaded versions. HCPOOKIE did a conversion and posted on it somewere. there are also pins for springloaded bolts avaliable that might be usefull for a conversion.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    The PSL's carrier hits the trunnion HARD, it has reinforcement plates, but it still does something it shouldn't, so if they were available I'd put in a much stronger recoil spring
    Good point.

I guess I'll see what happens with a stock AK spring first. I can wind a stiffer one on the lathe if needed.

If I understand things right, the bolt carrier isn't supposed to hit the rear trunnion during normal operation?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Post1911

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    there are also pins for springloaded bolts avaliable that might be usefull for a conversion.
    A few weeks ago I found a place that had replacement parts for Norincos. They had the bolts, firing pins, springs, etc. I thought I'd bookmarked it. <sigh> Now I can't seem to come up with the correct search string for google.

The Romanian and Maadi bolts I have on hand are deeply fluted. I wonder if that would cuase any trouble... on the plus side, I just ran a file over the tail of the Maadi bolt, and it cuts easily enough.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Good point.

I guess I'll see what happens with a stock AK spring first. I can wind a stiffer one on the lathe if needed.

If I understand things right, the bolt carrier isn't supposed to hit the rear trunnion during normal operation?
    You trying to find a heavier spring for a PSL? I think the normal length ones might be long enough, if so then you could use an extra power AK spring from Wolff.
    Here's the thread I just started with this in mind.http://www.gunco.net/forums/f3/ak-re...-length-48576/

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default tap trunnion?

Has anyone actually tapped a front trunnion for a barrel?

The bore in my Yugo trunnion is .906, and a 15/16-32 tap has a minor diameter of .907, which is darned near perfect. wttool.com has the tap for $22.

I tapped my Romanian trunnion for a screw build, so I guess they're theoretically soft enough to run a tap almost an inch in diameter through...

I'd just press and pin, except I expect to have this thing apart a bunch of times while fitting everything, and it'd be convenient to just screw the barrel in and out instead of digging out the press fixtures, particularly after the trunnion is riveted to the flat.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Has anyone actually tapped a front trunnion for a barrel?
    the guy who built the beautiful Saiga 500 S&W taped his out. he had it on the AK files and there is a link here under 500 s&W some Sagias are 22mm not sure what he started with.

I'd just press and pin, except I expect to have this thing apart a bunch of times while fitting everything, and it'd be convenient to just screw the barrel in and out instead of digging out the press fixtures, particularly after the trunnion is riveted to the flat.
    That and the pin would likely cut into the chamber. you better study the pic of how close the pin gets to even a 7.62x39 or a 308. now weres that link of the cut barrel that shows the relation ship of the pin to the chamber????

I see no way that the pin on this m70 trunion would not hit the chamber. on a virgin trunion you might be able to raise it slightly but not very much

Id build it as a screw build at least at first, that way you can get the trunion out of the reciver easly to do the almost certain reguired adjusting of the bullet guide to get it to cycle with cast bullets. you can always get it running and fine tuned and then rivet it later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

he used a 15/16-12 thread on a 410 saiga trunion. not a 15/16-32

here is a link
    The AK Forum :: Log in

this guy did some nice work and is working on a couple really cool wild cats using WSM brass. his gas block is awsome as is the break. its worth joining there site just for the pics of this build.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the pointer; I just spent half an hour trying to find that thread. For whatever demented reason no combination of .500 and S&W would bring it up.

Time to inventory my tooling and see what else needs to be on the order...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

you could build the Gas Block along with making or modifying the RSB to fit the big diamiter barrel. that stuff will all be the same regardless of chamber size. is this going to have a front sight or are you going to just use optics?

so did you find the pictures of the 500 S&W???

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

>you could build the Gas Block along with making or
    >modifying the RSB to fit the big diamiter barrel. that stuff
    >will all be the same regardless of chamber size.

Right.

> is this going to have a front sight or are you going to just
    > use optics?

The plan is to use iron sights; I'll make a rear sight for the top cover and a new front sight at the end of the barrel.

> so did you find the pictures of the 500 S&W?

Yes. Too bad he only had pictures of it all dressed...

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

50 beowulf ak

what barrel do i need for a 50 beowulf
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.