Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: .50 Beowulf?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

"I hear what you're saying." I know you've chambered a bunch of barrels, and if I run out of time or patience, I'll do as you suggest.

I have a bunch of gun and non-gun projects running in parallel, and while the lathe oiler is a project in itself, I also need it for some other work. So if I can arrange things to have the oiler available while I'm chambering, I'll get some real use out of the thing, rather than using it for a couple of projects and then pushing it aside out of annoyance for the next ten years.

I'm queued up to chamber two Beowulf barrels, two .311 Whisper barrels, a 6.5 Ross barrel, a 9mm barrel, a .30 Gibbs barrel, a .311 Whisper* sizing die and a case forming die, a 6.5 Ross** case forming die, a .30 Gibbs sizing die and hydraulic forming die, and probably some other stuff I don't remember offhand. So I'll get *some* use out of the oiler, anyway.

Remember, "There's no kill like an overkill."

* Since SSK is pretty aggressive about their rights to the "Whisper" name, I really need to come up with another name for that wildcat, but ".311 I-Did-My-Own-Wildcat-Ha-Ha-Ha" just seemed a little... awkward, somehow...

** This one is technically a wildcat, since it involves reforming a rimmed .303 British case to fit into a shortened 6.5 Mannlicher (rimless) die and chamber, but it's so trivial I can't take any credit for it. At a loss for a name that didn't sound like total dorkage, I remembered the Ross rifle company had chambered some of their MkIIs in 6.5 Mannlicher, and then they'd come up with their own ".280 Ross", so I named it "in honor of" them, like the many "Whelen" cartridges that have no actual connection to Townsend Whelen.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

When I built my bending fixture I made sure the threaded rods cleared the available space in both the AKM and Yugo flats. I had one of the last Tapco Yugo flats on hand.

When AK-Builder came out with their flats I decided to use the Tapco flat for the test build and just ignore all the unwanted underfolder holes.

When I checked the AK-builder flat I ran into a problem - the pistol grip hole was smaller than the 3/8" all-thread, plus it was offset maybe 1/8" from the Tapco. Which means I can't run my pullrod into that hole.

The big hole in the Tapco flat looks just like the one in my Romanian flat. A Romanian grip nut fits. I'm guessing the Tapco one is designed for something riveted on.

Also note the substantial differences in the carrier cutouts and miscellaneous holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I finished the last details on the new bending shoe, then milled some pockets in my bending fixture to clear the Yugo bulges.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hurry up and build it. I cant remeamber are you treading a trunion to take a barrel??

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Nah, I got one of the virgin Yugo trunnions, so all I have to do is press a barrel in and pick a good position for the pin.

A local friend has jumped in, and there's a pile of his parts in boxes in my shop. Once I finally pass from "making tools" to "making parts", we'll be building his as well as mine. Naturally, he's impatient, and hasn't yet realized that here at Sloth HQ, we have no word that conveys the pressing immediacy of "maņana"...

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

For anyone else thinking of doing a big bore, you don't have to use the fat AK barrel pin. The stamped Valmet RK62 used a 4mm rivet that doubled as the barrel pin.

The H&K G3 pin is .200".

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

For anyone else thinking of doing a big bore, you don't have to use the fat AK barrel pin. The stamped Valmet RK62 used a 4mm rivet that doubled as the barrel pin.

The H&K G3 pin is .200".
    I suspose you could plug the existing holes with a tightly pressed in plug and redrill a smaller hole for a smaller pin. I wonder how small you can get away with.

I need to stock up on a few virgin trunions myself.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I also recently received a virgin trunnion from Rguns. I remembered I had this Yugo style bent metal blank from AK builder. I'm going to start carving it down to fit the weiger mags I have when my dang back gets a bit better. Heh....Heh

" Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

By the way; For what it's worth, Cabelas is taking back orders on ammo at around $28.00 a box. I ordered another 8 boxes with my cabelas card points.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score

Although I don't have it in front of me it seems that the pin in the Saiga 410 that I did the conversion on had a smaller pin than the 7mm AK pin. I want to say about 5mm (?). I went with threads and the hole is not pinned.

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.