Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: .50 Beowulf?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I NEED TO GET A FEW OF THOSE TRUNIONS MYSELF. i WANT TO TRY TO THREAD ONE ON THE INSIDE.

DAMM THATS A HEAVY BARREL.

IT SHOULD SHOOT GOOD AN THE WEIGHT WILL HELP RECOIL.

I HAVE A PAIR OF NDS 5 RECIVERS TRANSFERED IN AS PISTOL SITTING HERE FOR A HEAVY BARREL PROJECT ONE OF THESE DAYS TO TAKE A YUGO TRUNION AN FIXED STOCK OR AS A PISTOL IF I WANT.

YEA IF YOU GOT A MILL WITH A BORING BAR YOUR ALL SET. i WASNET SURE WHAT YOU HAD.

DO YOU HAVE THE REAMER OR DID YOU BUY A CHAMBERED BARREL????????

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

No reamer yet. I bought my barrel about three years ago from PacNor. Just a heavy center turned blank. I had no luck finding someone to sell me a reamer. I was thinking of trying to make a pull through type myself. Seems like that would be a nice way to come up to headspace.That kind of thing is why this is a long long project. and I only get back to it now and then.

I think my fixture may act as a heat sink somewhat. But may just turn out to be a waste of time other than improving my sorry ass lathe skills.
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I think my fixture may act as a heat sink somewhat
    GOOD POINT IT MIGHT. I DID MINE ON A BENCH AN IT WAS REALLY OUT OF ROUND.

IM LOOKING FOR A BLOCK RIGHT NOW THAT ABOUT .720 FOR A PROJECT AN THE RPK IS TO BIG. I COULD SLEAVE BUT WOULD RATHER NOT HAVE TO. WISH THERE WERE VEPR BLOCKS OUT THERE I KNOW THERE BIGGER THAN STANDARD AKM. IM USING A REMINGTON TAKE OFF AN DONT WANT TO TURN ANY MORE THAN NEEDED. i MIGHT JUST DO A NEW ONE FROM SCRATCH BUT ITS A LOT OF TIME FOR IT. I THINK KREBS HAD SOME LARGER OD BLOCKS BUT THERE PRICY.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I WONDER IF THERE IS A WAY TO RUN 50 BEWOULF BRASS INTO A 500 S&W AN GET A REBATED ROUND THAT YOU CAN BUY A REAMER FOR????????????

i CANT RECALL HOW TAPERED THE THE 50BW IS VS THE 500 S&W.

I WAS THINKING THE 50 BW CHAMBER COULD BE CUT WITH A BORING BAR AN THEN USE A .50 THOATER THATS ONLY $50 OR SO. I HAD CONSIDERED TRYIN THE 444???? CHAMBER THIS WAY. ( AFTER A FEW TEST RUNS ON SCRAP)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

HMMM THE ROUND HAS A REDUCTION IN ID OF .010" IN 1.65 INCHED OF ITS CASE LENGTH.

.50 Beowulf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SO BASICALY YOU NEED A HOLE THAT IS ROUND AN .010 SMALLER ON ONE END THATS 1.65" DEEP . SEEMS TO ME THIS COUD BE CUT WITH THE TOOL POST SET TO THE CORRECT ANGLE.

EVEN IF THE ANGLE WAS A LITTLE OFF IT WOULD NOT REALLY MATTER.

THAT BARREL WOULD NOT FIT THROUGH MY HEAD STOCK SO ID NEED A STEADY REST.

YOU NEED A GOOD EDGE TO HEAD SPACE ON AN THEN USE A 50 THROATER .

i DONT KNOW IF THERE IS A SRAIGHT ECTION WERE THE BULLET IS SEATED OR NOT ??? IF HAVE TO SEE A ROUND IN PERSON. IF THERE IS THAT CAN BE DONE WITH THE BORING BAR AS WELL.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

You sure won't get any answers or help from Alexander Arms. I'm planning to ream until the case sticks out the same distance as other AK's & I guess I'll have to headspace with shims. Even if I can make a reamer. I sure as hell can't make headspace guages.
    I too have no steady rest & don't know if a regular South Bend 9" one will fit my oddball South Bend 405 9".
    I'd have to spend a couple hundred bucks to find out.
    I'll ream by hand. Then I'd have to face muzzle as close to live center as I dare & wing it on the crown.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Pacific will cut you a "12.7 Schuler Short" reamer. It's for a German 11.2x72 Schuler double rifle. Lop it off and, bazonga! you have a .50 Beowulf.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Hot dog! I'll have to see if that's in my cartridges of the world book.

Thanks!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have a 9 inch South Bend as well that I need a steady rest for. If I had a steady rest I would send it to you to see if it fits laugh out loud. I could give. You some really good measurements of my lathe bad and you could compare to yours to see if yours is standard. who knows if mine is standard it's 1 of the really early ones with the smaller headstock with an odd ball thread.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I'm working on getting a bigger lathe up and running I'm limited to what I can do with barrels as well. I have no way to do a full size 29 inch bench rest Barrel.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.