Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: .50 Beowulf?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Someone besides Tony Rumore has finally finished a Beowulf build:

The AK Forum L.L.C. - View topic - Who wants to see a .50 Beowulf Yugo M70 in action?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Nice to see other caliber conversions! Hopefully he'll post it up here too

The 5.56 mag solution I have is the synthetic Galil mags. I have a TON of them bought before they all dried up so I stuck with them. To make them fit in my Saiga, I chose to mod the mags. There is a small "anti-wobble" ridge on the front where the Saiga trunion rivets are located. I sanded those down to fit the (unmodified) Saiga trunion. They still work fine in the Galil but wobble a bit... not enough to affect feeding. "works!"...

I have successfully modified an AR follower to fit in the metal Galil/Weiger mags (there a thread here about that). Pretty simple really, just sand on the guides until they fit. So far I have had no performance problems with them. If you use the same fit technique with a Beowulf AR follower then I suspect the Galil mags will work no problem.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

interesting to know about a AR follower working in a n Galil mag . the height that the round sits is also important if its two high it will really get hamered down by the carrier.
    this causes all the rounds to really move a lot each cycle in the mag. its best if the round is just high enough to allow the carrier to catch it .

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    Nice to see other caliber conversions! Hopefully he'll post it up here too
    Here's my half assed abomination. Hope you guys like it. For anyone that cares there is probably some more info in my thread over on calguns.net

Pookie have you had success with the beo using those poly mags or just 5.56? I tried some bulgy poly mags and they were pushing the feed lips out something awful.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Here's my half assed abomination.
    HOWS THE ACCURACY AN ALL THAT??? WELCOME TO GUNCO BTW

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    HOWS THE ACCURACY AN ALL THAT??? WELCOME TO GUNCO BTW
    Thanks for the welcome. I haven't sighted it in yet. I spent the first trip(50 rds) just ballparking the sights and seeing if it would cycle. If I get time in the next couple weeks I'm gonna make up a hundred rounds, and put it on paper. I'm not really expecting anything amazing. It's just an AK....and I'm a lousy shot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Hmmmm you should have more faith. I have several AKs that shoot under 1" a two that will do half inch. Go to the general discussion am area an find my accurising the AK thread.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I bought this Texas AK Designs mag adapter a few dats ago. It will hopefully let me use cheap AR magazines as well as expensive .223 AK magazines...

This is the "left hand" adapter, as advertised on the TAD web site. It looks nicely machined and anodized. However, the reason the "left hand" adapter is cheaper than the "right hand" one is that it's just the "right hand" one without the linkage to put the mag release on the right. The other brands of adapters I've noticed all had the releases on the left, which is where the AR mag notch is.

When TAD deleted the linkage, the release lost some mechanical advantage. It takes a *lot* of force to push the short, stiffly sprung, smooth-surfaced lever down. There aren't going to be any quick mag changes unless you've been using the Arnold Schwarzenegger Forefinger Workout Video.

I'm going to see how much TAD wants to sell me the various bits to add the right-side lever, since all the slots and holes seem to be present.

The most common adapters out there used to be the ones like Magnum Research sold, with a big ribbed paddle on the left. I'll use this one for now, but I'll keep an eye out for one of those.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I haven't sighted it in yet. I spent the first trip(50 rds) just ballparking the sights and seeing if it would cycle. If I get time in the next couple weeks I'm gonna make up a hundred rounds, and put it on paper. I'm not really expecting anything amazing. It's just an AK....and I'm a lousy shot.
    That is freaking awesome. I read the thread on AK Files (I think?). Too cool.

TRX, how is yours coming along?
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well, it's further along than hcpookie's .45-70 build, which inspired me...

I have to finish the new shoe for the bending jig, turn and chamber the barrel, make the new gas block, and file the Yugo magwell to take AK-74 mags, and maybe tack some shims on the insides to keep them from wobbling too much.
    Then rivet it together and function test.

I'm still tied up full time in the House Remodeling From Hell, which evolved from "fix this soft spot in the floor" to "should have just knocked it down and started fresh." Argh. I work until I can't stand up any more, which curtails things like gun play, auto maintenance, etc. Right now my gun building is limited to what I can do while sitting down.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.