Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: .50 Beowulf?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You need to meature of a case not the die.

Id buy a box of loaded ammo and use it as a guide. If you cant get brass than the whole project will be a bust. right now primers an most brass are imposable impossable to find any were. perhaps there might be a memeber who has a round you can have or borrow.

a .005 cmaller case mouth is a lot to be off by. Id sure the heck get it right. the case length is critical as the round head spaces off it.

Didnt cabelas have ammo and brass for this?????/

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Crivvens! Beowulf brass is *gone*; the place that backordered me last week isn't even accepting backorders now. I ended up ordering a hundred cases directly from Alexander Arms. Suckers got me for $16 shipping, too.

They were also the only ones listing any loaded ammo. I guess the feeding frenzy hit the Beowulf guys as well.

A couple of places mentioned that the brass is actually made by Starline, but they don't list Beowulf on their web site.

When I started this project a couple of months ago Beowulf brass was plentiful, and cheaper than .45-70, most places.

If Beowulf vanishes entirely I can order some 11.2x72 Schuler brass from Midway; it's listed as "special order", but available. Ark. Urg. Ahem. [cough] $63.99+shipping for 20 cases. At least turning it into Beowulf brass would be easy enough.

Well, at least I have forty-odd pounds of lead, a brick of large rifle primers, and plenty of assorted powder on hand.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I called the ATF office in WV again yesterday and got through to Mr. Roberts. He said that a three-hole receiver would definitely fall under the "machine gun" regs. He didn't know about an acceptable semi-auto demill procedure, but he said if I would address a letter to him, he would hand-carry it to the guys who make those decisions. I'm finishing up the letter now.

The Tantal 5.45 magazine showed up. Nothing I can do with that until the brass gets here. The Green Mountain barrel showed up. I didn't quite realize how hefty a 1.1" straight barrel is. To heck with building an AK, all you need to do is creep within range and swing...

The money for the chambering reamer is burning a hole in my pocket, but I'm still waiting for the brass so I can double-check the dimensions. Argh!

I was looking at the reamer order again, and realized "12.7 Schuler short" is a wimp name. I'm wavering between ".500 Boomstick" and ".500 Cowbell."

"Boomstick" is self-explanatory even if you never saw "Evil Dead 3", but "needs more cowbell!" would get a lot of blank looks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It looks like the neck/mouth is .525 and the base is .535. What was the dimensions for the reamer at these points? If you don't mind me asking.
    "Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in."

"Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets."

Napoleon Bonaparte

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Most places list .535/.525; the information looks like it was all block-copied from the same source. Then there's the Alexander Arms dimensioned drawing dated 2001, which I can't find the URL for at the moment, which had slightly different diameters, and various threads on Beowulf fora claiming there was an error in the information used to make the early RCBS dies. All of which has my reamer on hold until I the brass and die set come off back-order.

With my luck .535/.525 is correct, but at least I'll know for sure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

They were also the only ones listing any loaded ammo. I guess the feeding frenzy hit the Beowulf guys as well.
    That or guys are buying the 450 bushmaster. then not having to deal with Alexander arms properitary issues. He has a great round but he wont let it become popular.

I would not build it unless brass becomes avaliable. id build a 500 S&W and rebate the rim my self. brass will always be avaliable for it.

Cabelas had ammo and sold guns at one time in 50 beowulf. have you tried them?????

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have 100 cases back-ordered from Impact, and another 100 supposedly shipped from Alexander. Midway, Cheaperthandirt, and the rest of the Usual Suspects were SOL on Beowulf, though they all claimed to have it in stock back in March.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hmmmm ID TRY TO CONTACT STARLINE AND SEE IF THEY ARE STILL MAKIN IT.

HOWS THE RIFLING ON THAT BARREL LOOK???? iM TEMPTED TO GET A 44 BARREL AND BUILD THE 444??? ON THAT INSTEAD OF THE BLANK i HAVE IT WOULD BE A LOT EASIER.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Starline doesn't list Beowulf on its web site. Apparently they only sell to Alexander Arms, who resells to the usual vendors.

The barrel is shiny-like-chrome on the inside. The outside is just rough-turned.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The barrel is shiny-like-chrome on the inside. The outside is just rough-turned.
    at least its turned on centers so you can just chuck it in a lathe and start working. my barrel is not turned to the od is not true to the ID there fore I have to build a pin to put in the bore then chuck the pin in the lathe and tehn drive the barrel with a dog set up. a pain in the ass. and my barrels is huge in diamiter. I may just get one of these in .44

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

50 beowulf ak

what barrel do i need for a 50 beowulf
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.