Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yeah the .308 mag deal would work if you use the 100 grain bullets. Anything larger and you'd have to seat the bullet back farther into the case. Doable but not ideal.

THe mag length on those 7.5mm mags is more than adequate for the longest rounds. You could open up the throat and really do some work with it! For the cost, and the willingness to do a little tweaking on them, they are IMO the best mag for any of the straight-walled wildcats, etc. just so you use a PSL-length receiver. Now in a standard-length mag I would think a .30-06 mag conversion would be possible and that would give you the room for longer rounds like the 6.5x55. The receiver conversion steps are a known factor so if you can find some -06 mags of some sort (BAR mags perhaps?) then you would be able to use a standard-length stock or do the Saiga .308 conversion with no problems.

Edit - I found "brand new manufacture" BAR mags at OhioOrdnanceWorks.com for $25 each, so that is definitely doable!

I range tested the new Hornady A-Max ballistic tip bullets of different weights at the range and they all function fine. I see why my dad likes the 100 gr rounds, they are as fast as the 140gr at 2900 FPS and should be big enough for anything I'd ever encounter in N. America.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wanted to ask if the 7.5x55 machine gun mags are available anywhere? IMA-USA no longer has them listed. Wanted to convert some more for dad...
    Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have 3 I bought from ima for a project, have anything cheap to trade? (I bought them for 5 bucks a pop so I don't need anything fancy) I like east german stuff slings mags pouches etc I could use a 74 gas block also I'm always interested in euro 7.62 mags and cheapo aluminum g3 mags of if you have a cheap l1a1 flash hider just let me know

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for pointing out the mags on the IMA site; I didn't see them when I went searching for them. I sent you a PM
    Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

that is one sweet build. i have always enjoyed this caliber. can't wait to pickup extra cash. I was inclined to agree with you that the .308 would be and excellent donor gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

what kind of accuracy did you get?

I wander what kind of velocity loss would you get if you went with a standard saiga .308 barrel 16 and or 21 inch barrel

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by farmhand2710 View Post
    6.5X54R
    Which 6.5x54R variant are you using, and where did you get a reamer and die set?

There were at least two popular Finnish 6.5 variants, and one the Soviets used on some international match rifles, but I didn't find a whole lot of information past that.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

some were there are velocity loss and gains per inch of barrel from maxium speed on this sight.

I think you loose around 150 FPS in the 308 witha 16 VS 21"

Ill see if I can find that info. I was looking at that stuff when I built my 300 savage pistol

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I FOUND THIS ON ONE OF THE CHUCK HAWKS SITES. IT HAD SOME STUFF REMINGTON etc. I HAVE SEEN REPORTS OF ABOUT 50 fps PER INCH ON THE 308.

Other authorities have tried to take into account the different velocity ranges within which modern cartridges operate. The Remington Catalog 2003 includes a "Centerfire Rifle Velocity Vs. Barrel Length" table that shows the following velocity changes for barrels shorter or longer than the test barrel length:

MV 2000-2500 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 10 fps.
    MV 2500-3000 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 20 fps.
    MV 3000-3500 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 30 fps.
    MV 3500-4000 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 40 fps.

The 45th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook also has a table showing Center Fire Rifle Velocity Vs. Barrel Length. Their figures apply to barrels between 20 and 26 inches in length and agree with the Remington figures. The Lyman table shows the following approximate velocity changes:

For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 1000-2000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 5 fps.
    For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 2001-2500 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 10 fps.
    For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 2501-3000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 20 fps.
    For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 3001-3500 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 30 fps.
    For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 3501-4000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 40 fps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I FOUND THIS ON ONE OF THE CHUCK HAWKS SITES. IT HAD SOME STUFF REMINGTON etc. I HAVE SEEN REPORTS OF ABOUT 50 fps PER INCH ON THE 308.

Other authorities have tried to take into account the different velocity ranges within which modern cartridges operate. The Remington Catalog 2003 includes a "Centerfire Rifle Velocity Vs. Barrel Length" table that shows the following velocity changes for barrels shorter or longer than the test barrel length:

MV 2000-2500 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 10 fps.
    MV 2500-3000 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 20 fps.
    MV 3000-3500 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 30 fps.
    MV 3500-4000 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 40 fps.

The 45th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook also has a table showing Center Fire Rifle Velocity Vs. Barrel Length. Their figures apply to barrels between 20 and 26 inches in length and agree with the Remington figures. The Lyman table shows the following approximate velocity changes:

For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 1000-2000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 5 fps.
    For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 2001-2500 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 10 fps.
    For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 2501-3000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 20 fps.
    For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 3001-3500 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 30 fps.
    For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 3501-4000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 40 fps.
    You rock!!!! thanks for the info.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.