Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I FOUND THIS ON ONE OF THE CHUCK HAWKS SITES. IT HAD SOME STUFF REMINGTON etc. I HAVE SEEN REPORTS OF ABOUT 50 fps PER INCH ON THE 308.

Other authorities have tried to take into account the different velocity ranges within which modern cartridges operate. The Remington Catalog 2003 includes a "Centerfire Rifle Velocity Vs. Barrel Length" table that shows the following velocity changes for barrels shorter or longer than the test barrel length:

MV 2000-2500 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 10 fps.
    MV 2500-3000 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 20 fps.
    MV 3000-3500 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 30 fps.
    MV 3500-4000 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 40 fps.

The 45th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook also has a table showing Center Fire Rifle Velocity Vs. Barrel Length. Their figures apply to barrels between 20 and 26 inches in length and agree with the Remington figures. The Lyman table shows the following approximate velocity changes:

For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 1000-2000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 5 fps.
    For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 2001-2500 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 10 fps.
    For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 2501-3000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 20 fps.
    For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 3001-3500 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 30 fps.
    For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 3501-4000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 40 fps.
    You rock!!!! thanks for the info.
    chuck hawks site was the one place that got me interested in the 6.5 x 55 swed in the first place. i should probably subsribe again.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

unless you really plan on useing a 6.5x55 as a close quarters combat weapon or any fire for that matter, a longer than 16" barrel is going to be more usefull and give better performance. 99% of the readers here will never need there AK to have a 16" barrel. They will never be in a close quarters fire fight or do a house clearing. They will shoot a targets or possably game animals. IMOO a 20" barrel is a better choice for 99% of what we use these guns for now. I know they might not look as cool or be as conceiable but if your going to build a fullsize rifle round AK give it at least a 18" barrel or bettter yet a 20" unless looks is the main reason your building it.

DONT WORRY I HAVE SOME MALL NINJA ZOMIE BLASTERS AS WELL FOR THE DAY REDDAWN STARTS AND I HAVE TO TAKE ON ANOTHER COUNTRY LOL. how about a 14" 300 savage pistol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i was thinking about a build like hcpookie's but with a .308 and a donor gun. I think the barrel lengths are 16 and 20 inches. I figured it would be the easiest way to go. I think my mauser m96 is a 24 inch barrel. So i was more interested in how much would be lost from 20 to 24. It would be a nice to have build as i my masuer and ak provide everything i need and my shotguns cover the rest. Now that will be left to be seen if i can every build the 6.5 x 55 ak. it would be nice to be able to have a 20 round mag available. kind of like "tim the toolman taylor" more...more...more...LOL
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 45leadslinger2 View Post
    i was thinking about a build like hcpookie's but with a .308 and a donor gun. I think the barrel lengths are 16 and 20 inches. I figured it would be the easiest way to go. I think my mauser m96 is a 24 inch barrel. So i was more interested in how much would be lost from 20 to 24. It would be a nice to have build as i my masuer and ak provide everything i need and my shotguns cover the rest. Now that will be left to be seen if i can every build the 6.5 x 55 ak. it would be nice to be able to have a 20 round mag available. kind of like "tim the toolman taylor" more...more...more...LOL
    20 rounders are no problem with converting those 7.5mm mags. Kind of a PITA, but worth it IMO. I think we figured on 22 rounds total.

As for the 6.5x55, I believe the standard size of 23-24" is really the way to go. Frankly I believe that until gunpowder technology improves, there is no "shortcut" to better muzzle velocity than a longer barrel. Size matters!

And right now, I'm seriously considering dipping into the savings to buy another PSL kit. The current prices are really affordable and it sure beats cobbling parts together to build one! If a .308 is used as a donor, there will be some refitting to make the larger mags work. The 7.5 mag is significantly longer front-to-back than the .308, and you'll have to be clever to get one to fit into a .308 receiver. Not sure you could make it work with the trigger in the same spot. A Saiga .30-06 receiver would be IDEAL to convert. Magazines may even work as-is. If only we could get them.

I completely agree with the >20" barrel idea. We beat Hitler with LOOOONG garands and somehow it just worked. 20" was the standard for the M-16 until the carbine model somehow became the focus. 20" and 55gr and you have a formidable weapon. 14" and 62 gr and you have a one-size-fits-all weapon that is adequate at all, stellar in none of the "roles" it is intended for. A shame, really.

On my AKs, I remember way back when before I knew much, and my friend and I were shooting my 20" vs. his 16", and were surprised at the simple fact that the muzzle blast was significantly more on a 20" model. One would assume the 16" would have more muzzle blast, with the still-burning powders, but that 20" made a noticeable difference on the bench. More time for the powders to burn more completely, thus yielding more velocity, was our conclusion.

All this crap about needing a short barrel for "house clearing" etc. can be put to rest with the proper use of training and weapons familiarization. But that's a different discussion.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

All this crap about needing a short barrel for "house clearing" etc. can be put to rest with the proper use of training and weapons familiarization. But that's a different discussion.
    EXACTLY. 99.9% OF THE READERS HERE WILL NEVER CLEAR A HOUSE OR EVEN POINT THERE AK AT A HUMAN. BUILDING THESE TO WORK FOR YOUR REAL INTENDED PURPOSE IS THE WAY TO GO IMO.

IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT YOU CAN ALMOST GET THE SAME PERFORMANCE OUT OF A 7.62X39 WITH A 22" B ARREL AS YOU CAN FROM A 308 WITH A 16". i HAVE A NUMBER OF AK,S THAT ARE 20 PLUS INCHES LONG THEY ALL ARE MORE USEABKLE FOR WHAT I DO WITH THEM. I CAN STILL GO RAMBO WITH A LOPNG BARREL AND BUMP FIRE AT DIRT CLOD ZOMBIES IF I NEED TO.

I JUIST SCORED A BUNCH OF 6MM BRASS AND I MIGHT BE DOING A BUILD WITH A LONGER THAN 308 LENGTH IN THE NEAR FUTURE. A 7MM MAUSER WOULD BE SLICK BUILD AS WELL.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Update -

Dad came to visit and do some deer hunting here in Va during archery season. We got a few shots off but didn't bag any (yet). We put a new coat of Duracoat matte black and it looks PURTY!

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5b54f...7917265%212423

Bore-sighted his new scope and everything works great. Had to modify the brass catcher to clear the scope, and now no issues. Fun stuff!

Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

man that is one sweet rifle. do you have any accuracy reports. i have been wnating to build one and went to your seb page but your description of how you did it is gone.
    what hapened? any hopes of getting it back up for us to model a build after?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

IT LOOKS NICE.

THE SCOPE LOOKS WAY TO HIGH (IMO) ARE YOU ABLE TO GET ANY CHECK WELD ON THE STOCK WHEN SHOOTING IT???? ID HAVE A HARD TIME SHOOTING I THINK. LOOKS LIKE YOU COULD GET THE SCOPE DOWN A INCH PRETTY EASY. THIS WOULD ALSO MAKE IT BETTER FOR HAVING IT ZEROEDA AT SHORT RANGE AS WELL AS LONG RANGE. AS THE BORE AN THE OPTICS WOULD BE CLOSER TOGETHER.

IM CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR THE LOWEST AVALIABLE SIDE RAIL MOUNT THAT IS CENTERED FOR MY 308 SAGIA TO DO SOME RECIVER MOUNT VS BARREL MOUNT ACCURACY TESTS.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The build page went missing; apparently I have some computer problems that need my attention.

Scope height is just right for him. If you look at that link the rest of the pics are up there and there's one or two of him lining it up. He is using the picatinny-rail side scope mount. IMO it is a little too lightweight for that hubble telescope he put on it but it seems to hold zero fine.
    Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

glad to hear he can shoot it OK.

yea there isa lot of leverage on those side rails when there up that high. if it holds zero great. id be worrried about bumping it , no differant than the stuff I build however .

my varmint set up can be flexed by hand but it always returns to zero.

again thats a nice looking gun.

I have a couple of 6.5x55 barrels sitting here. maybe some day. id likely just do a another 260 remington on a sagia 308 this time.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.