Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: 6.5x55

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The PITA with this build is the magazine. Those 7.5 machine gun mags are REALLY thin around the feed lips. And I discovered the hard way that the dimensions aren't exact, so I had to number the followers to ensure proper feeding after re-testing the now-mixed followers at the range. Real PITA.

Even worse PITA, after creating the locking lugs on the front with a weld bead, I then had to bend the feed lips by hand so each 7.5mm magazine would feed the smaller 6.5x55 cases properly. NOT a fun exercise. I warned him that if he drops the magazine on the feed lips, the warranty is void

He loads 100gr rounds, which are short than the standard 6.5x55 140gr round. The 199gr rounds are short enough that they will work in .308 mags work (but only these short rounds). I opted to make the gun a "true" 6.5x55 caliber so the longer 140gr rounds work as well. In fact heavier bullets will certainly feed as there's enough room in these longer 7.5mm mags. Those longer magazines ensure "any" 6.5x55 round will feed, not just the short ones.

In retrospect, If I build another one, I will examine .30-06 magazines like a BAR magazine or posibly even other longer-cartridge magazines (none come to mind right now). This custom-fit magazine feed lip stuff is NOT something I wish to repeat. Definitely worth every penny for a more spendy magazine that works!
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yeas thats why a 260 remington is IMO a bettter alternitive. especaly if you dont already load for the a 6.5x55 or have brass or ammo.

im looking at getting 3000 rounds of once fired brass to make all ,my .470 cse head ammo out of.

im going to be doing a 6.5x55 mauser really soon. so I may do a AK at some point.

I wonder how the really long free bore with his short seated bullets is affecting accuracy. the swede already has a lot of free bore with standard ammo.

a barrel with a slower twist an less free bore migh really make this a thing a tackdriver.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Page is back up! Restored the backup. Still need to add the latest glamour pics to that page (the ones I linked to from my skydrive site).

I *love* my 6.5x55 mauser! Building this gun was a direct result of shooting dad's mauser then bargaining with him not to sell it but keep it in the family The round is simply a delight to shoot - VERY low recoil even in bolt action vs. .30 cal rounds. Surprising how smooth it is to shoot.

The round is inherently very accurate and apparently has a reputation in Europe as a good big game round. IMO it is a better round than .308 but that is always up for debate. The 6.5 round seems to be the perfect size for long-range cartridges which is why you see so many in this caliber vs. .30 caliber.

Do you mean 3000 rounds of once-fired 6.5x55? WOW that's a lot! I thought I was doing good with my pile of about 200-ish or so! Shot all my rounds with the mauser and I need to load up some more. Dad made me 100gr, 120gr, and 140gr bullets and I couldn't really tell that big a difference at 100 yards in anything. Obviously the smaller rounds are pushing higher velocities and I wonder about long-term wear on the throat by shooting the lighter rounds. That mauser is something I plan to baby and hold with kid gloves, so I will probably stick with 140gr and load them up lighter than the "factory" military loads. But I may be over-reacting to only a perceived issue - haven't done my research yet about barrel wear on mausers.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Do you mean 3000 rounds of once-fired 6.5x55?
    I WISH .

NO IM LOOKING AT GETTING 3000 ROUNDS OF FIRED 7.62X51 NATO BRASS. I CAN FORM ALL MY .470 BASE/BOLT FACE STUFF FROM . 22-250, 22 CHEETHA, 243, 6MM BR, 6MM BRX, 243 WIN, 25-08, 260 REM, 7MM-08, 308 WIN, 338-08, 358 WIN, 444???, 444 RIMLESS MARLIN AN MAYBE A FEW OTHERS. I THINK GETTING A GOOD SUPPLY OF BRASS AN PRIMERS AN POWDER AN BULELTS MAY BE IMPORTANT IF OBAMA WINS. IM PLANING ON MAKING A LOT 6MM BR???? FOR MY CURRENT 6MM PROJECT.

THERE IS A ROUND MADE FROM SHORTINING A 6.5X55 CHAMBER TO 51MM AN THEN USING 243 BRASS. YOU JUST SHIM YOUR 6.5 DIES UP. GIVES A SMALLER CAPACITY 6.5 ROUND THAT IS SLOSE TO THE NEW BENCH REST ROUNDS. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A CHEAP BARREL TO PLAY WITH. TROUBLE IS ALL THOSE MILITARY BARRELS HAVE A MILE OF FREE BORE. NOT SURE IF IT IS WORTH IS WITH 260 BRASS AN REAMERS BEING OUT THERE CHEAP.

IM STARTING ON A 6.5 MAUSER 98 BUILD VERY SOON WIHT A 26.5" SCHULTS AN LARSEN BARREL .

YOU MENTIONED WORRY ABOUT WEARING OUT THE THROAT AN BORE WITH FASTER LIGHT BULLETS. I HAVE GOTTEN IN THE HABIT OF LEAVING MORE STUB ON MY BARRELS TO ALLOW ME TO BE ABLE TO SET THEM BACK IN THE FUTURE. UNFORTUNALY WITH A AK YOU GOT TO GO BACK ENOUGH TO A MAKE A NEW BARREL PIN HOLE. THIS MEANS THE GAS PISTON, TUBE GRIPS ETC WILL ALL BE TO LONG AN ALL THAT. FOR MY STUFF WITH FLOATING BARRELS AN NO HAND GUAARD RETAINERS ITS JUST A MATTER OF USING A SHORTER PISTON AN TUBE. I RECENTLY RESET MY KIDS 223 BUILD BACK THAT HAD A USED BARREL WHEN i BUILT IT . ALL I HAD TO DO WAS PULL THE BARREL CUT THE END OFF RECHAMBER IT TO WHAT I WANTED AN THEN MOVE THE RSB FORWARD. I HAVE A CUSTOM GB ON IT USED A SHORTER PISTON AN TUBE AN LEFTT HE GB IN PLACE. i CLOULD HAVE COVERD THE PORT AN MOVED THE BLOCK AHEAD AN REDRILLED.
    ON MY NEXT BUILD WITH A $$$$$$$ BARREL iLL BE SURE TO LEAVE THE 23MM PART AS LONG AS POSSABLE. BESIDES IT ADDS STIFNESS. IF I CAN GET MORE LIFE OUT OF A $350 BLANK THEN THATS A GOOD THING ESPECIALY IN A AUTOLOADER.

THE 6.5 IS A GOOD COMBINTAION OF BIG ENOUGH FOR BIG GAME AN HIGH BC,S FOR LONG RANGE. THE 7MM ISD ALSO VERY GOOD WITH THE HEAVY STUFF.

I JUST CANT UNDER STAND WHY THE 260 REMINGTON IS SO UNPOPULAR AMONG AMERICANS. ITS BETTER THAN A 243 FOR HUNTING AN CAN STILL SHOOT VRMINTS AN SMALLER STUFF. IF I WAS BUYING MY FIRST DEER RIFLE AN AMMO WAS ALL THE SAME PRICE IT WOULD BE A 260REM OR
    7MM-08. I LOVE MY 30-06,S BUT THE RECOIL IS NO FUN. I WONT LET MY 12 YEAR OLD SON SHOOT THEM I DONT WANT HIM GETTING A FLINCH LIKE I DID WHEN I WAS 11. I STILL CANT BENCH SHOOT THAT RIFLE WELL.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.