Gunco Forums banner

6.5x55

19K views 113 replies 17 participants last post by  1biggun 
#1 ·
My dad is a big fan of this caliber and already has several Mausers for it. And brass. :)

We are looking at an AK build in this caliber. According to the small amount of data I can find, the chamber pressure for the 6.5x55 is up to around 46,000 CUP/51,000 PSI. That is around the .308 pressures.

I'm thinking a quick and easy conversion will consist of:

- Saiga .308 conversion $600
- New barrel $250
- COmpliance parts $100?
- Magazine?

The magazine is the stickler on this. Since the cartridge is slightly longer than .308, I am not sure if the .308 magazine will work. I am looking at some different caliber surplus mags in case we need to do a complete magazine conversion. Any thoughts or shortcuts anyone can think of?

#86 ·
1biggun
An easy 6.5 conversion that I am starting is a PSL (7.62X54R) re-barreled with a modified and re-chambered numrich arms barrel to 6.5X54R. This uses existing mags and is a very clear conversion to take advantage of the high BC 6.5 rounds. Like you I want to "reach out and touch" at 1000 meters.

#87 ·
1biggun
An easy 6.5 conversion that I am starting is a PSL (7.62X54R) re-barreled with a modified and re-chambered numrich arms barrel to 6.5X54R. This uses existing mags and is a very clear conversion to take advantage of the high BC 6.5 rounds. Like you I want to "reach out and touch" at 1000 meters.
sounds interesting Im looking at doing a 6.5x54r on a mosin.

the easiest route IMOO is going to a 260 Rem on a 308 sagia. as it will likely require a only a barrel change. Id go witha heavy barrel.

Im going to do a 6mm-284 as this years long range gun and run the High BC 6mm bullets it will be a little flatter in the short ranges and still reach out there with less recoil than a 6.5MM.

#89 ·
You guys are talking about all these calibers, so what's wrong with the good 'ol 6.5x55... I haven't really looked too closely at them so I can't see the benefits. I can see the benefit of the 6.5x54R conversion since as you say you can use PSL parts, but they are spendy if you buy them separately... good luck finding a trunion. Honestly you could do the 6.5 easier IMO since you can use AK parts and the magazine is the only question. You could use a PSL mag most likely as-is with 6.5 if you don't want to do all the mag mods like I did.

#90 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You guys are talking about all these calibers, so what's wrong with the good 'ol 6.5x55...
Absolutly nothing perticulary if you hand load. I like the 260 because its shorter fits in a 308 mag and is factory loaded hotter then the x55. however the x55 has more case capacity as I recall and likley can out perform the 260 if the pressures are the same.

in the case of the 284 based rounds there is more case capacity so it gives better performance. the 284 is basicaly a unbelted magnum.

I made my coments on doing a Saiga conversion being the easiest because it should be a barrel change only and that it will also safely handel the 60,000 PSI+ pressures that the 260 generates.

The newer High BC 6mm bullets are interesting if you have the mag length.

#91 ·
Yeah the .308 mag deal would work if you use the 100 grain bullets. Anything larger and you'd have to seat the bullet back farther into the case. Doable but not ideal.

THe mag length on those 7.5mm mags is more than adequate for the longest rounds. You could open up the throat and really do some work with it! For the cost, and the willingness to do a little tweaking on them, they are IMO the best mag for any of the straight-walled wildcats, etc. just so you use a PSL-length receiver. Now in a standard-length mag I would think a .30-06 mag conversion would be possible and that would give you the room for longer rounds like the 6.5x55. The receiver conversion steps are a known factor so if you can find some -06 mags of some sort (BAR mags perhaps?) then you would be able to use a standard-length stock or do the Saiga .308 conversion with no problems.

Edit - I found "brand new manufacture" BAR mags at OhioOrdnanceWorks.com for $25 each, so that is definitely doable!

I range tested the new Hornady A-Max ballistic tip bullets of different weights at the range and they all function fine. I see why my dad likes the 100 gr rounds, they are as fast as the 140gr at 2900 FPS and should be big enough for anything I'd ever encounter in N. America.

#93 ·
I have 3 I bought from ima for a project, have anything cheap to trade? (I bought them for 5 bucks a pop so I don't need anything fancy) I like east german stuff slings mags pouches etc I could use a 74 gas block also I'm always interested in euro 7.62 mags and cheapo aluminum g3 mags of if you have a cheap l1a1 flash hider just let me know

#95 ·
that is one sweet build. i have always enjoyed this caliber. can't wait to pickup extra cash. I was inclined to agree with you that the .308 would be and excellent donor gun.

#96 ·
what kind of accuracy did you get?

I wander what kind of velocity loss would you get if you went with a standard saiga .308 barrel 16 and or 21 inch barrel

#99 ·
I FOUND THIS ON ONE OF THE CHUCK HAWKS SITES. IT HAD SOME STUFF REMINGTON etc. I HAVE SEEN REPORTS OF ABOUT 50 fps PER INCH ON THE 308.

Other authorities have tried to take into account the different velocity ranges within which modern cartridges operate. The Remington Catalog 2003 includes a "Centerfire Rifle Velocity Vs. Barrel Length" table that shows the following velocity changes for barrels shorter or longer than the test barrel length:

MV 2000-2500 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 10 fps.
MV 2500-3000 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 20 fps.
MV 3000-3500 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 30 fps.
MV 3500-4000 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 40 fps.

The 45th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook also has a table showing Center Fire Rifle Velocity Vs. Barrel Length. Their figures apply to barrels between 20 and 26 inches in length and agree with the Remington figures. The Lyman table shows the following approximate velocity changes:

For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 1000-2000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 5 fps.
For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 2001-2500 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 10 fps.
For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 2501-3000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 20 fps.
For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 3001-3500 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 30 fps.
For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 3501-4000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 40 fps.

#100 ·
You rock!!!! thanks for the info.

#102 ·
unless you really plan on useing a 6.5x55 as a close quarters combat weapon or any fire for that matter, a longer than 16" barrel is going to be more usefull and give better performance. 99% of the readers here will never need there AK to have a 16" barrel. They will never be in a close quarters fire fight or do a house clearing. They will shoot a targets or possably game animals. IMOO a 20" barrel is a better choice for 99% of what we use these guns for now. I know they might not look as cool or be as conceiable but if your going to build a fullsize rifle round AK give it at least a 18" barrel or bettter yet a 20" unless looks is the main reason your building it.

DONT WORRY I HAVE SOME MALL NINJA ZOMIE BLASTERS AS WELL FOR THE DAY REDDAWN STARTS AND I HAVE TO TAKE ON ANOTHER COUNTRY LOL. how about a 14" 300 savage pistol ;)

#103 ·
i was thinking about a build like hcpookie's but with a .308 and a donor gun. I think the barrel lengths are 16 and 20 inches. I figured it would be the easiest way to go. I think my mauser m96 is a 24 inch barrel. So i was more interested in how much would be lost from 20 to 24. It would be a nice to have build as i my masuer and ak provide everything i need and my shotguns cover the rest. Now that will be left to be seen if i can every build the 6.5 x 55 ak. it would be nice to be able to have a 20 round mag available. kind of like "tim the toolman taylor" more...more...more...LOL

#104 ·
i was thinking about a build like hcpookie's but with a .308 and a donor gun. I think the barrel lengths are 16 and 20 inches. I figured it would be the easiest way to go. I think my mauser m96 is a 24 inch barrel. So i was more interested in how much would be lost from 20 to 24. It would be a nice to have build as i my masuer and ak provide everything i need and my shotguns cover the rest. Now that will be left to be seen if i can every build the 6.5 x 55 ak. it would be nice to be able to have a 20 round mag available. kind of like "tim the toolman taylor" more...more...more...LOL
20 rounders are no problem with converting those 7.5mm mags. Kind of a PITA, but worth it IMO. I think we figured on 22 rounds total.

As for the 6.5x55, I believe the standard size of 23-24" is really the way to go. Frankly I believe that until gunpowder technology improves, there is no "shortcut" to better muzzle velocity than a longer barrel. Size matters!

And right now, I'm seriously considering dipping into the savings to buy another PSL kit. The current prices are really affordable and it sure beats cobbling parts together to build one! If a .308 is used as a donor, there will be some refitting to make the larger mags work. The 7.5 mag is significantly longer front-to-back than the .308, and you'll have to be clever to get one to fit into a .308 receiver. Not sure you could make it work with the trigger in the same spot. A Saiga .30-06 receiver would be IDEAL to convert. Magazines may even work as-is. If only we could get them.

I completely agree with the >20" barrel idea. We beat Hitler with LOOOONG garands and somehow it just worked. 20" was the standard for the M-16 until the carbine model somehow became the focus. 20" and 55gr and you have a formidable weapon. 14" and 62 gr and you have a one-size-fits-all weapon that is adequate at all, stellar in none of the "roles" it is intended for. A shame, really.

On my AKs, I remember way back when before I knew much, and my friend and I were shooting my 20" vs. his 16", and were surprised at the simple fact that the muzzle blast was significantly more on a 20" model. One would assume the 16" would have more muzzle blast, with the still-burning powders, but that 20" made a noticeable difference on the bench. More time for the powders to burn more completely, thus yielding more velocity, was our conclusion.

All this crap about needing a short barrel for "house clearing" etc. can be put to rest with the proper use of training and weapons familiarization. But that's a different discussion.

#105 ·
All this crap about needing a short barrel for "house clearing" etc. can be put to rest with the proper use of training and weapons familiarization. But that's a different discussion.
EXACTLY. 99.9% OF THE READERS HERE WILL NEVER CLEAR A HOUSE OR EVEN POINT THERE AK AT A HUMAN. BUILDING THESE TO WORK FOR YOUR REAL INTENDED PURPOSE IS THE WAY TO GO IMO.

IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT YOU CAN ALMOST GET THE SAME PERFORMANCE OUT OF A 7.62X39 WITH A 22" B ARREL AS YOU CAN FROM A 308 WITH A 16". i HAVE A NUMBER OF AK,S THAT ARE 20 PLUS INCHES LONG THEY ALL ARE MORE USEABKLE FOR WHAT I DO WITH THEM. I CAN STILL GO RAMBO WITH A LOPNG BARREL AND BUMP FIRE AT DIRT CLOD ZOMBIES IF I NEED TO.

I JUIST SCORED A BUNCH OF 6MM BRASS AND I MIGHT BE DOING A BUILD WITH A LONGER THAN 308 LENGTH IN THE NEAR FUTURE. A 7MM MAUSER WOULD BE SLICK BUILD AS WELL.

#106 ·
Update -

Dad came to visit and do some deer hunting here in Va during archery season. We got a few shots off but didn't bag any (yet). We put a new coat of Duracoat matte black and it looks PURTY! :D

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5b54...cid=5B54FC51A7917265&id=5B54FC51A7917265!2423

Bore-sighted his new scope and everything works great. Had to modify the brass catcher to clear the scope, and now no issues. Fun stuff!

#107 ·
man that is one sweet rifle. do you have any accuracy reports. i have been wnating to build one and went to your seb page but your description of how you did it is gone.
what hapened? any hopes of getting it back up for us to model a build after?

#108 ·
IT LOOKS NICE.

THE SCOPE LOOKS WAY TO HIGH (IMO) ARE YOU ABLE TO GET ANY CHECK WELD ON THE STOCK WHEN SHOOTING IT???? ID HAVE A HARD TIME SHOOTING I THINK. LOOKS LIKE YOU COULD GET THE SCOPE DOWN A INCH PRETTY EASY. THIS WOULD ALSO MAKE IT BETTER FOR HAVING IT ZEROEDA AT SHORT RANGE AS WELL AS LONG RANGE. AS THE BORE AN THE OPTICS WOULD BE CLOSER TOGETHER.

IM CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR THE LOWEST AVALIABLE SIDE RAIL MOUNT THAT IS CENTERED FOR MY 308 SAGIA TO DO SOME RECIVER MOUNT VS BARREL MOUNT ACCURACY TESTS.

#109 ·
The build page went missing; apparently I have some computer problems that need my attention.

Scope height is just right for him. If you look at that link the rest of the pics are up there and there's one or two of him lining it up. He is using the picatinny-rail side scope mount. IMO it is a little too lightweight for that hubble telescope he put on it :) but it seems to hold zero fine.

#110 ·
glad to hear he can shoot it OK.

yea there isa lot of leverage on those side rails when there up that high. if it holds zero great. id be worrried about bumping it , no differant than the stuff I build however .

my varmint set up can be flexed by hand but it always returns to zero.

again thats a nice looking gun.

I have a couple of 6.5x55 barrels sitting here. maybe some day. id likely just do a another 260 remington on a sagia 308 this time.

#111 ·
The PITA with this build is the magazine. Those 7.5 machine gun mags are REALLY thin around the feed lips. And I discovered the hard way that the dimensions aren't exact, so I had to number the followers to ensure proper feeding after re-testing the now-mixed followers at the range. Real PITA.

Even worse PITA, after creating the locking lugs on the front with a weld bead, I then had to bend the feed lips by hand so each 7.5mm magazine would feed the smaller 6.5x55 cases properly. NOT a fun exercise. I warned him that if he drops the magazine on the feed lips, the warranty is void :)

He loads 100gr rounds, which are short than the standard 6.5x55 140gr round. The 199gr rounds are short enough that they will work in .308 mags work (but only these short rounds). I opted to make the gun a "true" 6.5x55 caliber so the longer 140gr rounds work as well. In fact heavier bullets will certainly feed as there's enough room in these longer 7.5mm mags. Those longer magazines ensure "any" 6.5x55 round will feed, not just the short ones.

In retrospect, If I build another one, I will examine .30-06 magazines like a BAR magazine or posibly even other longer-cartridge magazines (none come to mind right now). This custom-fit magazine feed lip stuff is NOT something I wish to repeat. Definitely worth every penny for a more spendy magazine that works!

#112 ·
yeas thats why a 260 remington is IMO a bettter alternitive. especaly if you dont already load for the a 6.5x55 or have brass or ammo.

im looking at getting 3000 rounds of once fired brass to make all ,my .470 cse head ammo out of.

im going to be doing a 6.5x55 mauser really soon. so I may do a AK at some point.

I wonder how the really long free bore with his short seated bullets is affecting accuracy. the swede already has a lot of free bore with standard ammo.

a barrel with a slower twist an less free bore migh really make this a thing a tackdriver.

#113 ·
Page is back up! Restored the backup. Still need to add the latest glamour pics to that page (the ones I linked to from my skydrive site).

I *love* my 6.5x55 mauser! Building this gun was a direct result of shooting dad's mauser then bargaining with him not to sell it but keep it in the family :D The round is simply a delight to shoot - VERY low recoil even in bolt action vs. .30 cal rounds. Surprising how smooth it is to shoot.

The round is inherently very accurate and apparently has a reputation in Europe as a good big game round. IMO it is a better round than .308 but that is always up for debate. The 6.5 round seems to be the perfect size for long-range cartridges which is why you see so many in this caliber vs. .30 caliber.

Do you mean 3000 rounds of once-fired 6.5x55? WOW that's a lot! I thought I was doing good with my pile of about 200-ish or so! :) Shot all my rounds with the mauser and I need to load up some more. Dad made me 100gr, 120gr, and 140gr bullets and I couldn't really tell that big a difference at 100 yards in anything. Obviously the smaller rounds are pushing higher velocities and I wonder about long-term wear on the throat by shooting the lighter rounds. That mauser is something I plan to baby and hold with kid gloves, so I will probably stick with 140gr and load them up lighter than the "factory" military loads. But I may be over-reacting to only a perceived issue - haven't done my research yet about barrel wear on mausers.

#114 ·
Do you mean 3000 rounds of once-fired 6.5x55?
I WISH .

NO IM LOOKING AT GETTING 3000 ROUNDS OF FIRED 7.62X51 NATO BRASS. I CAN FORM ALL MY .470 BASE/BOLT FACE STUFF FROM . 22-250, 22 CHEETHA, 243, 6MM BR, 6MM BRX, 243 WIN, 25-08, 260 REM, 7MM-08, 308 WIN, 338-08, 358 WIN, 444???, 444 RIMLESS MARLIN AN MAYBE A FEW OTHERS. I THINK GETTING A GOOD SUPPLY OF BRASS AN PRIMERS AN POWDER AN BULELTS MAY BE IMPORTANT IF OBAMA WINS. IM PLANING ON MAKING A LOT 6MM BR???? FOR MY CURRENT 6MM PROJECT.

THERE IS A ROUND MADE FROM SHORTINING A 6.5X55 CHAMBER TO 51MM AN THEN USING 243 BRASS. YOU JUST SHIM YOUR 6.5 DIES UP. GIVES A SMALLER CAPACITY 6.5 ROUND THAT IS SLOSE TO THE NEW BENCH REST ROUNDS. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A CHEAP BARREL TO PLAY WITH. TROUBLE IS ALL THOSE MILITARY BARRELS HAVE A MILE OF FREE BORE. NOT SURE IF IT IS WORTH IS WITH 260 BRASS AN REAMERS BEING OUT THERE CHEAP.

IM STARTING ON A 6.5 MAUSER 98 BUILD VERY SOON WIHT A 26.5" SCHULTS AN LARSEN BARREL .

YOU MENTIONED WORRY ABOUT WEARING OUT THE THROAT AN BORE WITH FASTER LIGHT BULLETS. I HAVE GOTTEN IN THE HABIT OF LEAVING MORE STUB ON MY BARRELS TO ALLOW ME TO BE ABLE TO SET THEM BACK IN THE FUTURE. UNFORTUNALY WITH A AK YOU GOT TO GO BACK ENOUGH TO A MAKE A NEW BARREL PIN HOLE. THIS MEANS THE GAS PISTON, TUBE GRIPS ETC WILL ALL BE TO LONG AN ALL THAT. FOR MY STUFF WITH FLOATING BARRELS AN NO HAND GUAARD RETAINERS ITS JUST A MATTER OF USING A SHORTER PISTON AN TUBE. I RECENTLY RESET MY KIDS 223 BUILD BACK THAT HAD A USED BARREL WHEN i BUILT IT . ALL I HAD TO DO WAS PULL THE BARREL CUT THE END OFF RECHAMBER IT TO WHAT I WANTED AN THEN MOVE THE RSB FORWARD. I HAVE A CUSTOM GB ON IT USED A SHORTER PISTON AN TUBE AN LEFTT HE GB IN PLACE. i CLOULD HAVE COVERD THE PORT AN MOVED THE BLOCK AHEAD AN REDRILLED.
ON MY NEXT BUILD WITH A $$$$$$$ BARREL iLL BE SURE TO LEAVE THE 23MM PART AS LONG AS POSSABLE. BESIDES IT ADDS STIFNESS. IF I CAN GET MORE LIFE OUT OF A $350 BLANK THEN THATS A GOOD THING ESPECIALY IN A AUTOLOADER.

THE 6.5 IS A GOOD COMBINTAION OF BIG ENOUGH FOR BIG GAME AN HIGH BC,S FOR LONG RANGE. THE 7MM ISD ALSO VERY GOOD WITH THE HEAVY STUFF.

I JUST CANT UNDER STAND WHY THE 260 REMINGTON IS SO UNPOPULAR AMONG AMERICANS. ITS BETTER THAN A 243 FOR HUNTING AN CAN STILL SHOOT VRMINTS AN SMALLER STUFF. IF I WAS BUYING MY FIRST DEER RIFLE AN AMMO WAS ALL THE SAME PRICE IT WOULD BE A 260REM OR
7MM-08. I LOVE MY 30-06,S BUT THE RECOIL IS NO FUN. I WONT LET MY 12 YEAR OLD SON SHOOT THEM I DONT WANT HIM GETTING A FLINCH LIKE I DID WHEN I WAS 11. I STILL CANT BENCH SHOOT THAT RIFLE WELL.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.