Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the good news it there is metal to remove on the mag lips. interesting info

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If your going with 308 length, then you might want to look at the IMI 308 Galil mags.

HC, you should have a PM.
    "Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in."

"Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Kit Maker and Pookies Dad rookie's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Yes, that looks good, those pics looks ok. What is up with the stock???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well nothing, yet. I have several generous offers and I was outbid on the one I was bidding on Gunbroker... only to find out one of my buddies bought it for me! He's about to head out of town for a few weeks so I won't be able to actually hook up with him again until around July 4 when he comes over for BBQ. He *claims* he has both pieces so once we hook up I'll know for certain. Otherwise, I'll follow up on those others Either way, we should be all set for the stock before hunting season!

Kit Maker and Pookies Dad rookie's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Ok, sounds great, I'm going to bed. It's later for this old man.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Wanted to give an end-of-Summer update!

Real Life work basically took away 2 months of my Summer and there's been other things coming up, so I have had very little time this Summer to actually build stuff. I have however been able to make several big steps on this build.

I got the Mauser barrel from Numrich, and fortunately it is already chambered. The Mauser threads are cut short enough that they will NOT interfere with the barrel journal, so no sleeve will be necessary! I may sleeve it anyway to hide the threads.

Got the barrel cut down for the barrel components. Found one of those cheap Yugo front-end partial kits and stripped it down. I had to sleeve the end for the front sight, as the Mauser barrel was slightly thinner. This afforded me the opportunity to create an AK-74 style "large" muzzle brake attachment point, and since we are going to use my old PKM flash hider, it worked out perfectly! Attachment will be simple as all I need to do is install the sleeve into the front sight, then press both pieces onto the barrel.

So now the barrel is ready for pressing, and then will I drill the barrel pin and cross-pin holes.

At this point she's ready for the receiver and trunion mounting.

I had a clever idea too - use the Yugo grenade launcher cut-off as an adjustable gas port! I know this has been discussed in the past but we're going ahead with it. I have an idea how to make a "dial" index to set the gas volume.

I am still looking for a PSL top cover, so if anyone knows of one please let me know! I am aware of the trick to weld two top covers together, and would like to avoid that if at all possible.

I'm calculating the US parts to be the barrel, receiver, internals (x3), and will probably make new floorplates for these mags, as I don't think dad's ever going to need more than 4 25-rounders at once Actually we are talking about cutting one magazine down to a 5-rounder or making a shim so it will work for hunting season.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

She's coming together!

I have an issue now that I wasn't expecting. The 6.5 bullet and neck of the cartridge has a small enough size that it isn't touching the feed ramp. Result is that by the time the case gets to the breech, it smacks the bottom below the chamber and all that happens is the bullet gets pushed down into the cartridge and the neck is trashed. I can slowly feed them by hand (no spring) and it seems to work OK. I'm thinking I have enough room to redo the locking lug (welded on) and move the magazine up higher another 1/16" or so. That should keep them from being too low.

The flip side is that the magazine may be fine where it is. It is placed where the bolt hold-open engages the bolt, and the bullets are stripped from the magazine just like a normal AK. If anything the front needs to go up more.

QUESTION: Will it *dependably* feed without a feed ramp? Because I'm wondering when the magazine is moved up so high if a feed ramp is even necessary? I may leave the magazine as-is and try to add a Saiga-style feed ramp to the magazine.

Right after I snapped this picture I installed the PSL rear extension supports for the rear trunion. 2 rivets and a center support to go

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

can you raise the edge of the bullet guide with some weld? i do that on my 7.62x39 builds to get the soft point bullets to feed better. I move the very edge back as far as possable and raise it with a little weld. lowering the mag will make the bullet tip raise up higher as it goes over the guide because it causes a steeper angle. you can only raise the ramp so high or the bolt will hit it. try holding the mag in by hand slightly lower and see if it will help. its hard to get the mag high enough to be a straight shot as it will hit the bolt and carrier.

I really like what you have built so far

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    The handguards in this picture... I can get the thumbhole stocks, they are the same as on the WASRs and several are usually FS on the auction boards, but I have yet to see the handguards go up for sale:

Im glad you found a set. Iornwood is set to release their stock set, no price yet . muttman

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
    If your going with 308 length, then you might want to look at the IMI 308 Galil mags.

gunther,
    the only place I got one from ( what a country) is out and I need one more. the next step for me other than finding one is to sell the one I have off and convert G-3 mags like HC did for his .308 . muttman

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.