Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the idea of 22-250 ak hehe sounds fun if it would be safe
    22-250 runs some really high pressures. I think SAMMI is 65,000 PSI so its in the magnum range.

Im going to do a barrel for the switch build and reload. there are gains to be made with the larger case and slower powders longer barrel combo and keep the levels in check.

a custom super trunion and bolt is needed for all these cool build ideas.

If I get the the 308 sagia converted Ill be doing a full power 22-250 as well as a 22-cheetah.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

yeah i had a feeling the pressure would be high. using custom super trunnion, a 5.6x57 rifle with about a 24 inch barrel would be very cool

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jreifsch80 View Post
    yeah i had a feeling the pressure would be high. using custom super trunnion, a 5.6x57 rifle with about a 24 inch barrel would be very cool
    From the C.I.P. data I have it shows 5.6x57 running at 4400 bar about 64,000 psi.......

Anyway back to the thread, pookie did you ream out the rear sight block? Adjustable legs like on the Bren mk1 by-pod would look real nice on that gun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Update:

Dad got his rifle when we went to visit him and we took it to the range. It was COLD out there but the rifle functions perfectly!

The only thing he needs to do is paint it in whatever paint he chooses (probably duracoat) and I'm going to tweak the rest of the magazine followers to function as reliably as the first. We haven't sighted it in yet. I think he's going to go with a 30-30 style scope reticle since it shoots so flat.

I put pics up here:

Feb 2010 - Windows Live

My favorite pic - got the case flying out

Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

SWEET PIC. CANT WAIT TO SEE A ACCURACY REPORT.

AS FAR AS A SUPER HOT 5.56 LOAD i HAVE A 22 CHEETAH REAMER THAT WILL PRETTY MUCH GO AS FAST AS ANY ONE WOULD NEED. iTS A DOWN THE ROAD BUILD BUT WILL HAPPERN i THINK i CAN GET 4100 fps WITH MEDIUM PRESSURES.

Feedback Score

1biggun
    An easy 6.5 conversion that I am starting is a PSL (7.62X54R) re-barreled with a modified and re-chambered numrich arms barrel to 6.5X54R. This uses existing mags and is a very clear conversion to take advantage of the high BC 6.5 rounds. Like you I want to "reach out and touch" at 1000 meters.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

1biggun
    An easy 6.5 conversion that I am starting is a PSL (7.62X54R) re-barreled with a modified and re-chambered numrich arms barrel to 6.5X54R. This uses existing mags and is a very clear conversion to take advantage of the high BC 6.5 rounds. Like you I want to "reach out and touch" at 1000 meters.
    sounds interesting Im looking at doing a 6.5x54r on a mosin.

the easiest route IMOO is going to a 260 Rem on a 308 sagia. as it will likely require a only a barrel change. Id go witha heavy barrel.

Im going to do a 6mm-284 as this years long range gun and run the High BC 6mm bullets it will be a little flatter in the short ranges and still reach out there with less recoil than a 6.5MM.

Feedback Score

On the 308 Saiga the 260, the 6.5-284, or the 6.5 Creedmoore would definitely be the way to go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You guys are talking about all these calibers, so what's wrong with the good 'ol 6.5x55... I haven't really looked too closely at them so I can't see the benefits. I can see the benefit of the 6.5x54R conversion since as you say you can use PSL parts, but they are spendy if you buy them separately... good luck finding a trunion. Honestly you could do the 6.5 easier IMO since you can use AK parts and the magazine is the only question. You could use a PSL mag most likely as-is with 6.5 if you don't want to do all the mag mods like I did.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You guys are talking about all these calibers, so what's wrong with the good 'ol 6.5x55...
    Absolutly nothing perticulary if you hand load. I like the 260 because its shorter fits in a 308 mag and is factory loaded hotter then the x55. however the x55 has more case capacity as I recall and likley can out perform the 260 if the pressures are the same.

in the case of the 284 based rounds there is more case capacity so it gives better performance. the 284 is basicaly a unbelted magnum.

I made my coments on doing a Saiga conversion being the easiest because it should be a barrel change only and that it will also safely handel the 60,000 PSI+ pressures that the 260 generates.

The newer High BC 6mm bullets are interesting if you have the mag length.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.