Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default 6.5x55

My dad is a big fan of this caliber and already has several Mausers for it. And brass.

We are looking at an AK build in this caliber. According to the small amount of data I can find, the chamber pressure for the 6.5x55 is up to around 46,000 CUP/51,000 PSI. That is around the .308 pressures.

I'm thinking a quick and easy conversion will consist of:

- Saiga .308 conversion $600
    - New barrel $250
    - COmpliance parts $100?
    - Magazine?

The magazine is the stickler on this. Since the cartridge is slightly longer than .308, I am not sure if the .308 magazine will work. I am looking at some different caliber surplus mags in case we need to do a complete magazine conversion. Any thoughts or shortcuts anyone can think of?
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

IMOO you would be better off doing a 260 Remington. the mag wont need to be modifed and the 260 at least according to my books will out perfom the x55. I plan on rebarreling my Saiga in 260 remington.

with that being said there is no real reason not to be able to do a 6.5x55. the mags are going to be the big issue as well as if the mag will fit in front of the hammer. the trigger guard to clearance will be even less as well. off the top of my head I would just lengthen out a fal or m14 mag .230 as that is the differance in loaded length in my books. then the mag will have to be made to fit a Sagia some how much like conversion mags. as you know the 308 Sagia has the feed ramp built into the mag. that 1/4 inch of length will surely complicate things as far as the bolt being long enough and possable interferance of the center support.

the only up side to dong this round over the 260Rem is you have some brass, im pretty sure that 260 can be formed from 308 brass (i could be wrong). the 6.5x55 is well regarded as a very accurate round and in loaded to 308 pressures would likely out perform or at least equal the 260. How much brass do you have??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the 303 british LOL 3.08 the x55 is 3.03 . the BREN is 303 british. i saw those mags cheap some were. also Turbo this did a 303 AK on the AK forums. I think he used a bren mag. this might be a mag worth considering. the 303 has a rim however so I dont know how the 6.5x55 will fit.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

here is were I saw the mags.

Centerfire Systems, Inc. - Bren

good price as well.

i was looking at them for a 6mm remington idea I had as well a 7 mauser and 257 roberts. I just fighured to much work when the 243, 7mm-08 fit a 308 mag.

Feedback Score

Hello hc,
    How about an MG-13 box mag ?? They hold 8x57 Mauser ammo nicely. They are also very narrow at the front and minimal rather like an M-14 mag.

VD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I was looking at the MG13 but it may have too long a curve to it. I will pick up a box of ammo tomorrow just to see if they will load into the MG13 mag that I have.

I was also looking at the French 7.5mm 24/29 LMG mags at IMA which are straight and may work better. Not sure yet.

I forgot I have an RPK kit that we may use as the donor for the build. He really *REALLY* likes the looks of my PSL, and wants to build it up looking like the PSL. We'll probably go with a 24" PAC-NOR barrel which is about $250. That will let us make it look REALLY close to the PSL. I don't know if PSL handguards are available anywhere?

I am leaning more toward just selling the RPK kit and putting it toward the Saiga 308 so we have that 3rd locking lug. That way he can load them up hotter if he prefers. The rims are really close to each other, so a bit of polishing on the 308 bolt face should be all it needs to fit the 6.5 rim.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I was also looking at the French 7.5mm 24/29 LMG mags at IMA

Hmm those mags may work and they have a neat latching system were the catch is on the mag. I was looking at the whole gun at a shop the other day. almost bought it but money is way to tight. i took a picture of the mag because the design might be usefull in a ak build and allow some room in the trigger guard are by getting rid of the original latch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I show a loaded length of the french 7.5x53.5 French MAS being 2.99 and the 6.5 swede being 3.03 that is only .031 longer it may very well fit.

as far as barrels there should be some 6.5 mausers or mannlicher or japanese Arisakas, 260 remington or even a 264 win mag take off barrel

this could be rechamberd possably made in belgum . priced right

Ruger M77 6.5 x 57 23 5/8" Sporter Barrel | e-GunParts.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Round Barrel Blanks | e-GunParts.com

blank wonder what the profile is. they have chamberd barrels for around $135 look 6.5mm barrel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What about PSL mags?
    Retired US Navy
    NRA Life Member -- NAHC Life Member
    "Take, sink, burn, or destroy the enemy fleet": Lord St.Vincent's orders to Nelson off Toulon, 21 May 1798
    Pretty much spells it out, huh?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.