Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 45 WinMag update

Feedback Score

You could cut the front off of a grease gun mag, and extend it out to winmag length, it has the right width and feed lips already.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

yeah basically I did that by exactly copying the dimensions but I thought the "roughness" would wear off and the rounds would feed better. It might be spring tension.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vz58 View Post
    yeah basically I did that by exactly copying the dimensions but I thought the "roughness" would wear off and the rounds would feed better. It might be spring tension.
    I think that roughness can't be helped unless these tweaks are made - I don't have that any more. Testing with these new changes, the last 5 rounds of the mag feed VERY nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by vz58 View Post
    My problem is in the magazine, I got it back from the guy who was going to bead park and gunkote it. He did none of these but he did run 200+ rounds through it. The mag is my problem, I am simply having feed problems after 2-3 rounds. I think I can work it out but I would like pics of your mag please
    Here you go:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/45WinMag/45winmag.htm

Here's the mandrel I used to reshape the inside of the magazine. It works! Note the edges on the front are rounded more significantly than the back. I greased it up with grease and used pushrods of increasing length to push the mandrel into the tubing via my 12-ton press. Goes VERY smoothly once you get it started. I situated the press plates to just hold the edges of the tubing enough to push the mandrel out the bottom 1/2" or so.

I cut the follower sides with a 15 degree cut on the mill - shaved off more on the taller side of course due to the design. Since I've been making the magazine as I go, it was really difficult to get it to hold still on the mill to make these additional side cuts for the 15 degree magazine taper. Would be much easier on the "production line" if you get my meaning!

Note the 2nd thing I did to the follower was to trim the corners vertically to shave off more on the corners - makes for a more forgiving fit inside the mag.

I think it will be OK as-is, however I am going to polish the edges of the feed lips after I weld up the corners to give it an even smoother fit.

The sanding marks on the outside of the magazine are my attempt to make the now-resized tubing fit inside my magazine well. I made the magazine well BEFORE I resized the magazine, so now it is too tight! It won't take too much, I just need to get my sanding wheel on the grinder and polish it all nice.

Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I managed to get some time in the garage today in over a month

I spot welded those feed lips and fixed the tightness of the magwell. I also welded the locking lug onto the mag.

I am fairly certain the lip design I built WILL WORK! It cycles by hand. I had to grind the hammer hump to get it to fed smoothly, but once I did, it now seems to feed fine. I also had to round off the top front and back corners of the lips to keep the bolt from hanging up, and shaved about 1/32" off the top the center support. All together there is a significant reduction in drag.

The problem I see with this straight-walled round is that when it misfeeds, it misfeeds BAD.

When it mis-feeds, it seems to always be the same thing: The front of the bullet moves too far upward and the bolt crams the bullet down into the case. These are just dummy rounds I built in a hurry, uncrimped. And so when it misfeeds, the mouth of the cartridge gets munged up really bad.

I believe that a properly loaded -and crimped!- round should eliminate a large part of this. It appears there is still some play, and I think either the hammer hump needs to go down more or the feed lips need to be slightly re-shaped. I have a really good recoil spring so I believe that is not an issue. It will take some fussing to get it to mis-feed enough to identify the exact issue. I think it is a matter of crimping the rounds, and further polishing and refining to get it 100%
    Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Glamour shots - Ready to test fire!

I may trim the barrel a few inches and permanently attach the muzzle brake, as the overall size is REALLY nice.

Magazine works, and the bullpup linkage is NOT affected by the magazine! Need to refine a few parts but overall she's looking good.

7 US parts (so far). Brake will be #8.

Items left:
    - Test fire!
    - Make a rubber pad for the buttstock.
    - Make firing pin spring-loaded.
    - Muzzle brake
    - Sling swivels
    - Groza-style carry handle/iron sights/scope mount
    - Clean and paint
    - Make more magazines!
    - Load more ammo!
    - Refine bullpup linkage

Gunco Member #10

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Looks like you are making some good progress.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    - Make firing pin spring-loaded.

- Groza-style carry handle/iron sights/scope mount

Please take pictures of these when you make them.

Once again, nice project, I like the groza style design.

Feedback Score

A fantastic and creative build HC !!!!! Very inspirational too !!! Bullpups rock !!

VD

Feedback Score

Any updates?

I was pointed towards this thread by another member on another forum.
    Nice job on the build!!! Nice to see someone else who decided the 45 win mag was begging to be used!

I'm also building up a rifle in 45 win mag and will have to make my own magazines. I was planning on doing a basic "stick" style as well. I'm sure I'll come back to this post a few times when I get to that point...and probably pm you a few times as well if needed! I'm not using AK parts, but my bolt/carrier are being made based on the AK bolt/carriers I have, but with different outside contours.

Have you had a chance to fire it much? What's the twist rate on that barrel and how well are the bullets you're using flying? Numerich has some .45 barrels, but the twist is much slower than I want. Midway has a few options, but I was really trying to avoid spending >$150 on the barrel. I'll probably be using a CETME lower with all scratch-made upper and internal parts. I've started the upper, but I have a few other projects to finish up before I really get into this one.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kragaxe View Post
    Have you had a chance to fire it much? What's the twist rate on that barrel and how well are the bullets you're using flying? Numerich has some .45 barrels, but the twist is much slower than I want. Midway has a few options, but I was really trying to avoid spending >$150 on the barrel.
    I went through this exact same thing, look at "the track of the wolf" they are a muzzle loader place near me, they are the cheapest place I found. Ended up being $120 for a 20" barrel blank. The barrel liners are thicker than a 1911 barrel so I figure they should be safe, to be sure I made a sleeve for the first 5 inches of it.

P/N: LINER-45-ACP
    Track of the Wolf - Barrel liners: breech loading rifle bore liners

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.