Gunco Forums banner

Anyone have info on a 2XTM???

9K views 52 replies 21 participants last post by  2ndAmendican 
#1 ·
I was surfing around the other day and ran across a pic of an AK 9mm pistol called a 2XTM.....anyone built one of these and have info on it?
thanks

#2 ·
It is a very complicated build.
What is a 2XTM?
The first conversion that we know of an AK47 to 9mm that takes Suomi drums was made by a gun builder in Vermont. On various forums he is known as Doubletapme. This is where the model name 2XTM comes from. He may not have been the first to do this but he is the one that inspired us to build one and start manufacturing Mag Wells.
In summary, the basic 2XTM conversion involves changing the AK action from a locked bolt gas operated to an unlocked blow back action. Changing the barrel to 9mm and installing a mag well to hold the Suomi drum. This is a conversion that can be done by experienced gun builders with a creative spirit and solid knowledge base. Here is a video;
Lichtenburg 2XTM Pistol Video

#7 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have a milling machine?

yea the were priced right and some one else had done the work for once. I have so many projects on the back burner right now that it would be nice just to screw one together.. the cost of kits has really puit a dampner in doing 9mm blow backs. I would really ask my self if doing a home build that will cost at least $500 is orth it when there are a ton of UZI and MAK 10 clones on the market. I personaly dont have a need one any way. for me there is no use for it other than blasting at stuff and the play factor. Most of my stuff has a hunting use. 9mm is cheaper for plinking but if thats all im going to do with one then Ill build a 22LR or mabe a 17 hmr. Ill build a 9 mm or 7.62x25 eventualy but theres a bunch of stufff ahead of it. If I do a blow back AK it will likely be from scratch with no kit. home made carrier/bolt and trunions with a AK stamped reciver and triger guard and dust cover and take off wood.

#10 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yea the were priced right and some one else had done the work for once. I have so many projects on the back burner right now that it would be nice just to screw one together.. the cost of kits has really puit a dampner in doing 9mm blow backs. I would really ask my self if doing a home build that will cost at least $500 is orth it when there are a ton of UZI and MAK 10 clones on the market. I personaly dont have a need one any way. for me there is no use for it other than blasting at stuff and the play factor. Most of my stuff has a hunting use. 9mm is cheaper for plinking but if thats all im going to do with one then Ill build a 22LR or mabe a 17 hmr. Ill build a 9 mm or 7.62x25 eventualy but theres a bunch of stufff ahead of it. If I do a blow back AK it will likely be from scratch with no kit. home made carrier/bolt and trunions with a AK stamped reciver and triger guard and dust cover and take off wood.
good point, getting the carrier and bolt now is a lot more of a sticking spot for the build now. i made my own front trunnion for mine, if i was to do another, i really dont think it would be hard at all to do my own bolt, its all one piece welded together, so making the cams in it to lock and unlock like a std ak arent a concern, and thats the hard part.

fwiw, if i were to do another similar build, it would likely be a complete redesign and use no ak parts, save for maybe the fcg.

#20 ·
EDIT! MMMMMMMMM! COFFEE. I found some pictures of it in the click here for the 762x25 build at the top of their website. 7.62x25 AK...Check this out! - AR15.COM
amen to the coffee. this is what I have recomendid to big gun back when he started x25 ak with less parts. Im glad to see sombody has made one and given the LBS to it. now I just need some time for the mill. muttman

#27 ·
Sorry I never got back to this thread. I did finally recieve the bolt and it is super well made. I have had other projects get in its way but I have been feeling the need to get moving on it again. Hopefully in the next few months I will have pictures and a range report to share.
pat

#22 ·
Lichtenberg made another run of magwells a few months ago. I got one of the Suomi ones for my new MAC-11 upper.

I have a mill, but I bought the pre-made part for the same reason 1biggun brought up - I already have as many projects as I could handle. I wanted the completed upper more than I wanted a magwell project.

The web site says something like, "welded, hammered, ground, blacksmithed." I don't know about the first run, but this one was nicely made, and I would have spent way more than $50 in time doing it on my own.

#23 ·
Okay, my AK-Builder 2XTM flat showed up today. Looks like it's set up for a standard-length AKM top cover and bits.

The original build threads on gunsnet are 404, and bit rot has taken most of the pictures out of the threads on akfiles.

#24 ·
Of course, my fancy bending fixture uses threaded rods instead of a press, and the magazine cutout on the 2xtm is in a different place, so I need to drill and tap more holes... [sigh]

The AK-Builder flat requires you to cut off the locking lug area of your trunnion. I have a nice piece of 1018 CRS to make a special 2xtm trunnion. I can't see buggering a perfectly good AK trunnion...

Rodger's build threads on gunsnet went away with gunsnet, though I'd managed to save the text of several of the threads beforehand. cntrailrider's threads on AK-files have succumbed to link rot and many of the pictures are gone.

However, most of the decisions - bolt forward/bolt back, standard or shortened receiver, etc. - are already taken care of since I started with the AK-Builder 2XTM flat.

The plan is to build the front trunnion and bolt carrier, get the receiver sorted out, and use the nice Romanian G wood I have on hand, to make a sort of 4/5 scale Tommy gun.

#25 ·
Parts collection... AK-Builder 2XTM flat, Lichtenberg magwell, spare Romanian trunnion showing the relationship of the parts. I'll be whittling the working trunnion from the block of steel, since it doesn't need locking lugs.

I have to modify my bending jig for the 2XTM flat, since two of the four tension rods miss the magwell opening.

Attachments

#29 ·
Thanks Pat, and no need to be sorry, we all get busy and side tracked.
I just wanted to hear some feedback from someone that actually has one, I'd like to get one instead of modding a stock bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.