Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AK in 7.62x54R?

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default AK in 7.62x54R?

Starting with an ordinary AK/AKM , what would it take to convert it to 7.62x54R?

How does the PSL handle the longer 54R cartridge?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Apples and oranges, I'm afraid. Essentially the PSL is a longer AK, but with enough modifications for the longer rimmed cartridge to make it very troublesome to make a conversion.

Assuming you put a PSL barrel on it, the only usable part from a normal AK kit would be the Yugo bulged trunion. Everything else would need to be proper PSL parts.

The PSL uses a longer receiver that opens up the magwell and pushes everything behind the magwell back farther. That's why the PSL has those reinforcement plates at the back of the rifle for the rear trunion/stock tang to actually be supported and riveted.

The bolt is an entirely different beast and is much larger for the large rimmed base. The barrel breech is contoured to allow the different bolt to properly lock up the rimmed cartridge. Remember the 54R headspaces from the rim, not the shoulder.

For all that trouble if you are wanting to convert one, then you should consider getting a PSL or a PSL kit (if you can find one) and building it with a normal AK style buttstock and pistol grip. PanaceaBeachBum built one a few years ago. There are also so-called "paratrooper" models with a shorter barrel. These had barrel issues that were cut down to a serviceable size and were sold as shorter barreled PSLs. Would probably be the best place to start.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yeah Pookie is on the money....

the PSL is WAY longer/stronger and other than the bolt operation and outer appearance they really arent THAT much alike.

could you do it? sure. but id think you would have more in it than just buying the real one.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I'm thinking of building a "mini-PSL" off a Romy kit, would still be an x39. I've got the stock but does anyone know of a source (or if they even exist) for a barrel in the 20 -24 inch range?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    I'm thinking of building a "mini-PSL" off a Romy kit, would still be an x39. I've got the stock but does anyone know of a source (or if they even exist) for a barrel in the 20 -24 inch range?
    Look around for TABUK builds which is exactly what you're describing.

Feedback Score

The Tabuk barrels take Yugo rear sight blocks, handguard retainers, gas blocks and front sight blocks. None of the Romy barrel parts will fit the fatter Tabuk barrel.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    The bolt is an entirely different beast and is much larger for the large rimmed base. The barrel breech is contoured to allow the different bolt to properly lock up the rimmed cartridge.
    Was that a PSL you used for your .45-70 project?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

As a matter of fact my .45-70 bolt IS a PSL bolt! With the 45 WinMag wrapping up I'm going to be spending some quality time with the 45-70 in the coming months.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Simple just get a blank or a take off barrel and rechamber it to 7.62x39 and profile it to fit your rommy parts or what ever parts you wish to use.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

The Norinco/Polytec Hunter has a 20" barrel.And they use reg.AK mags.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.