Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CHEAP, SIMPLE, BIG BORE, AK IDEA

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The best penetration with slugs was only around 7 inches when 12.5 inches of penetration is recommended against two legged animals.
    that is with a slug. this would use a regualr rifle bullet and be loaded hotter than a 41 or 44 magnum. it will be simular to a 444 marlin in power. the beautuy of a Saiga is it will handel a lot more pressure than a normal .410 shell. a 444 marlin will stop anything that walks in north america.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    that is with a slug. this would use a regualr rifle bullet and be loaded hotter than a 41 or 44 magnum. it will be simular to a 444 marlin in power. the beautuy of a Saiga is it will handel a lot more pressure than a normal .410 shell. a 444 marlin will stop anything that walks in north america.
    That would indeed be something neat, the penetration and range would be great. 5 rnd clips for hunting when allowed, and I can see the benefits from a tactical stand point of having a heavy slug like that. Some time ago I bought a .308 saiga to convert to 8mm, but now with the rise in price of the things, I'm going to sell it. Never have fired the thing. I was going to get a 12ga saiga, but the .410 project you mentions sounds great. Only thing I'm sure of it I want to sell my .308.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Id keep the 308 and rebarrel it to a 358 Winchester if you wanta heavy round with some knock down power . 358 is just a opend up 308 using around a 250 GR bullet. im not sure the mag will work as is however. the 30 is pretty versital it can handel from 100 grain to around 220Gr bullets.

I wouldnt sell it id make it suit my needs. the 308 will do every thing a 8mm would have done for the most part with up to a 180 grain bullet.

as far as having enough knock down power the 308 is more than enough gun for most any tatical situation. I dont dont plan on being in a tatical situation but if I do a 308 would be more than enough gun.

Im conveting mine (308) to either a 22-250 with a fast twist barrel or a 260 remington for long range varmit shooting.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    YIKES I WONDER IF A SHOT CUP OF SOME SORT WOULD HELP
    The shot cup spins and you get the same big empty ring of shot. The guns that are set up to shoot 410/45lc use a screw in choke set up that (kind of) fixes this. The H&R that I had used a choke with straight, tapered 'rifling' in it when you shoot shot. You take it out to shoot the 45lc. I got rid of mine. It would shoot 410 and 45lc. Shot both half assed and niether well. That was what I meant in my first post, absolutely NOT talking about 45lc through a Saiga 410 barrel. Just to clarify.

I have heard of guys loading shot into 45-70, or loading two (might have been more) .457 round balls into a case and sending them down range. By and large, this is just guys playing around with the versatility and forgiving parameters of the 45-70. It's a favorite round for guys who like to play around with 'unorthodox' loads. Lots of capacity, no anoying neck dimensions. Just stuff it full of powder and lead and go BANG. I haven't ever heard of any shot or multiple ball loads being really practical. Fun, yes.

I think the .410 wildcat in question would be a good one. Likely to actually function with factory mags and loadable without custom dies and chamber reamers and all that other stuff associated with wildcatting.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Midway sells new .410 brass cases. I thought about experimenting with them. Too bad someone doesn't sell rifled lead slugs for .410 (just the slug to load in the brass case). Might be a fun project.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Midway sells new .410 brass cases. I thought about experimenting with them. Too bad someone doesn't sell rifled lead slugs for .410 (just the slug to load in the brass case). Might be a fun project.
    I have never understood why rifled slugs were not avaliable either. while not legal for deer in my state (WI) but in other states they are legal. a brass cased hotly loaded 410 Sagia with accurte slugs would be a good combo. the rounds could easly be loaded to 444 marlin speeds and weigths in a Sagia.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Just thinking out loud here. But first, rifled slugs have never been shown to spin enough to stabilize the load. That's why there are the front-heavy slugs, they tend to shoot straight where the air and gas whizzing through the spirals on a rifled slug do little to spin the slug.

But to the point, rifled slugs in .410 carve away what precious little weight a .410 slug has to begin with. With a 12 or even a 20 guage slug, the rifle grooves remove a much smaller percentage of the weight of a solid slug, with the .410 the grooves begin to really eat into lead weight percentage.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Interchangeable screw in choke tubes are available with rifling. Dunno of any in .410 but they are common in 12 and 20. A custom made proposition, but you could make one for .410.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Interchangeable screw in choke tubes are available with rifling. Dunno of any in .410 but they are common in 12 and 20. A custom made proposition, but you could make one for .410.
    The paradox "rifled" chokes are also made and available for the .410 in two different lengths I believe.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Cool, off the shelf solution. Might have to have the bbl threaded to match but that is a common gunsmith task.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.