Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CHEAP, SIMPLE, BIG BORE, AK IDEA

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default CHEAP, SIMPLE, BIG BORE, AK IDEA

Now here is my idea for a really easy big bore. just use a .410 SAGIA as is but with a rifled barrel. use brass 2.5" shells or possably those steel gold bear and silver bear cases and load it with protuding slugs/bullets into a 3" sagia Mag and you would have a pretty wicked big bore for the price of a barrel and could be left with a shot gun designation and would still shoot 3" normal shotgun shells.
    hell in some states you could even hunt with it in a shot gun zone. not mine they dont allow 410,s on dear in wisconsin.

Sagia 410,s are realitivly cheap compared to every thing else right now. High capacity mags are avalible.
    barrel blanks are avaliable pretty cheap around $80 for a 15" blank add a much recomended break and you got your 16" for a rifle build ( hmm this might still be a shoot gun so the barrel might need to be longer)

barrel link
    .41 Caliber Cartridge Pistol Blank

I am thinking this might not have the feed issues of the 444 marlin that tromix built and it would still shoot normal shot gun shells so you could use it multipul ways.

also brass 410 shells can be made from 444 marlin, 303 british, and 9.3x74 russian brass..

was also thinking this would be a good round for shooting cast lead bullets.

the 410 Sagia will handel the higher pressures so a souped up 410 rifle round might really be a easy way to go here.

Kind of a Mini SGFH type deal. any way just thinking out loud. this round would be very simular to the old 405 Winchester

.405 Win.

or the .40-60 maynard

Feedback Score

Good idea. Sounds like it might overcome some of the inacuracy issues that come whith shooting 45lc through the 410/45lc barrels.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I would not advise shooting 45 LC in a 410 unless the gun is marked for it. the Sagia has a pretty tight barrel. around .412 if I recall shoving a .450 bullet through it is asking for trouble. I do relize some guns are ok for this. I recall having this discussion on a differant site years ago. 45LC will not cyclem in the Sagia an ways. I tried LOL

the Idea above is to rebarrel the gun with a rifle barrel and make it a rifle that would shoot a wild cat round made from brass or steel 410 casings. It has also occured to me that a 2.75 shell can be cut down and then used in the original mag. It may or may not work. the idea is to make basicaly a 444 marlin type round that will feed properly were tromix had problems with his 444marlin conversion a wild cat would not posably.

If a 410 sagia could be built with rifle barrel to use rifle bullets not slugs and still retain the capibility to shoot shot it would be a great combo gun for hunting as well as tatical.you could shoot out to 250 yard accuratly and still hunt birds or close quater stuff with the shot. the brass hulls would be loadable with shot regardless of how you set up the rifle round.

a 410 is illeagal for deer In my state or Id be all over this. there are issues with it being a rifle or a shot gun when done my thinking was to make it a shorter chamber so STD shell would not work and build it on a rifle reciver. and make it a rifle. my thinking is if it cant shoot a std shot gun shell it would be a rifle correct. I want to have a 16 barrel and that is to short for a shot gun.

would 444 marlin or 45-70 loads be legal if loaded with shot like a shot gun shell??? I see shot loads for pistols and 22LR . just thinking out loud here but my 45-70 with some #4 shot would be a nifty little shot gun for home protection. hmmmmmm

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

rifled barrel + shot = ring of pellets

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

rifled barrel + shot = ring of pellets
    yea I saw a post were guys have loaded 45 -70 with shot and they report pretty wide patterns. it would be a really good person stoper at 20 feet however and great on snakes. Likely worthless on came birds. the rifled barrrel with a rifle bullet is viable though IMOO it would be cheap to do just a barrel change and you would hve to figure out a die for loading bullets sticking out of a brass 410 shell. although I ahve heard that brass 410 can be made from 444 marlin cases. so there might be a way to do this with off the shelf stuff. IVE GOT TO MANY PROJECTS

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

the shot is actually a ring, no pellets in the middle and it spreads FAST. Buck shot in my slug gun is about 5' diameter at around 20 feet.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Buck shot in my slug gun is about 5' diameter at around 20 feet.
    YIKES I WONDER IF A SHOT CUP OF SOME SORT WOULD HELP

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

no the wad engages the rifling and spins, the shot rotates to until it hits the end of the rifling and it just goes out in a perfect (almost) ring

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hmmmm ill haver to pattern some feild loads in my sluog gun and see what I get LOL.

IM not building any thing in a new calibur untill I get primers again.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    yea I saw a post were guys have loaded 45 -70 with shot and they report pretty wide patterns. it would be a really good person stoper at 20 feet however and great on snakes. Likely worthless on came birds. the rifled barrrel with a rifle bullet is viable though IMOO it would be cheap to do just a barrel change and you would hve to figure out a die for loading bullets sticking out of a brass 410 shell. although I ahve heard that brass 410 can be made from 444 marlin cases. so there might be a way to do this with off the shelf stuff. IVE GOT TO MANY PROJECTS

Just a note, theboxotruth The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1
    shows the 2.5 inch .410 round to be very poor round for defense as a "stopper". The best penetration with slugs was only around 7 inches when 12.5 inches of penetration is recommended against two legged animals. Of course this was tested out of the Taurus pistol. I have read reports of GI's in Iraq having to hit insurgents with 3 rounds of twelve gauge buck to stop them so I wouldn't be excited about trying to use a .410 load as a manstopper. Just an FYI, sounds like a fun project though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.