Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 7.62X25 WILDCATS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default 7.62X25 WILDCATS

i HAVE BEEN THINKING A LOT ABOUT THE CHEAP 7.2X25 AMMO AND ABOUT BUILDING UP A ak TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT. THE PROBLEM IS ITS NOT GOOD ROUND FOR ANY THING I DO EXCEPT PLINKING. i THIN GOT TO THINKING ABOUT DOING A WILD CAT OF THE ROUND BY PULLING THE BULLETS AND RESIZING THE BRASS TO A DIFFERANT CALIBURE. THE 22 REED IS A GOOD EXAMPLE. HOW EVER ITS UNDER POWERD COMPARED TO MY 223 SO i GOT TO THINKING ABOUT THE NEW 17 FIRE BALL AND WAS THINKING A 17X25 WOULD BE A GOOD ROUND NOT A BARRLE BURRNER LIKE MY 17-223 PROJECT AND THE CHEAP BRASS EVEN THOUGH BERDAIN PRIMED WOULD BE SUTABLE FOR HUNTING PRAIRIE DOGS OUT TO AROUND 300 YARDS. A .20 WOULD BE A OPTION AS WELL. JUST THINKING OUT LOUD HERE. BUT A 17X25 BLOW BACK WOULD SMOKE THE DOORS OFF A 17HMR. HERE IS INFO ON THE REED

.22 Reed Express Reed's Ammunition & Research Home of the .22 Reed Express

IS ALL 7.62X25 BRASS OR IS IT STEEL??????????? i NEED TO BUILD ONE IN 7,62 AND GO FROM THERE

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Just "posting out loud here"

That short little neck has me concerned for necking down. I just can't visualize how I would be able to neck down to almost half the .30 cal neck and avoid wrinkles, non-concentric necks, and uniform necks.

That said, I form 7.62x25 brass from .223 brass. Trimming .223 "too long" (how long, I don't know) and then necking it down to .17 *might* work on annealed brass. After turning the long neck for thickness and concentricity, the brass could be trimmed to length.

Another thought, how about a 17-.223 wildcat? (Edit) already been done, 17 Caliber Wildcats
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Another thought, how about a 17-.223 wildcat? (Edit) already been done, 17 Caliber Wildcats
    I HAVE HAD THE REAMER FORMING DIES SIAING DIES AND A STAINLESS LIJA BARREL IN 17 REM SITTING HERE FOR OVER TWO YEARS JUST WAITING TO BE DONE. THE GAS PORT SIZE NEEDED KIND OF SCARES ME IT TAKES AROUND .080 TO CYCLE MY 223 BUILD AND I SUSPECT IT MIGHT NEED TO BE SLIGHTLY LARGER IF i TRY TO REDUCE THE 17-223 LOADS TO REDUCE THE CHRONIC BARREL FOULING THAT 17 REMS AND 17-223 ARE KNOWN FOR. iM CONCERNED THAT A GAS PORT OVER HALF THE SIZE OF THE BORE MAY BE A ISSUE. I LOST SOME INTEREST IN THE 17 223 BECAUSE I WAS FOCUSSING ON SHOOTING OUT PAST 400 YARDS WITH 223. THE 17 WONT CUT IT FOR LONG RANGE AND IS JUST AS MUCH OVER KILL AS THE 223 AT 200 YARDS. i WAS THINKING MORE OF ALONG THE LINES OF INTERMEDIATE 17 FOR OUT TO 250 YARDS SOME THING BETTER THAN A 17 HMR BUT CHEAP TO SHOOT. I HAVE A 17-223 THREAD HERE SOME WERE.

THE 17X25 COULD LIKELY BE DONE AS A BLOW BACK AND AVOID THE GAS PORT COMPLETLY. A 20X25 MIGHT BE BETTER. IF THEY CAN MAKE A 22X25 THEN IM SURE A 20 X25 CAN BE DONE IT WILL LIKELY REQUIRE ANHEALING THE CASES AN REAMING THE NECKS THAT WILL BE A ISSUE WITH PRIMED BRASS IM AFRAID. GUYS HAVE NECKED DOWN 30 CARBINE AND OTHER .30 CASES BEFORE SOME HOW. TO BAD SABOTSS DONT WORK WELL A SABOTED 7.2X25 TO 17 WOULD BE SWEET AND CHEAP, EASY TO DO. i NEED TO TRY SOME MORE LOADS WITH SABOTS IN MY ak WITH HEAVIER BULLETS. iM WORKING ON A KIDS SABOTED 22 LOAD FOR MY MAUSER 30-06 SO MY BOY CAN GET THE FEEL OF A BIG RIFLE. IM WORKING WITH SOME RED DOT AND 77 GRAIN 223 BULLETS. SO FAR THE ACCURACY SUCKS BUT HE LIKE TO SHOOT IT BECAUSE ITS A REAL GUN. HMMMM A CHAMBER ADDAPTER FOR 7.62X25 T 30-06 WITH SOME SABOTS AND 35 GR BULLETS WOULD MAKE OH NEVER MIND LOL iLL JUST GET HIM A 22 LR..

I AM WORKING ON SABOTED PLINKER LOADS FOR A 30-06 THOUGH SO MY SON CAN PRACTICE HIS TRIGGER WORK AND HANDING THE GUN GETT USED TO THE WEIGHT ECT. WI IS POSSABLY GOING TO ALLOW 10 YEAR OLDS TO SHOOT DEER IF ACOMPOMIED WITH ADULT AND THEY SHARE THE GUN. HE HAS A LITTLE OVER A YEAR AND A HALF TO GET READY. HE MIGHT BE A LITTLE SURPRISED WHEN THE FIRST REAL ROUND GOES OFF BUT BY THEN HOPE FULLY THE DEER WILL BE DEAD. iM WORKING ON BRINGING HIM UP REALLY SLOW SO HE DOSENT DEVELOPE THE FLINCH i GOT FROM SHOOTING A 06 WHEN I WAS 11.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Biggun, you know I love you like a brother, right? why you yelling?

I think necking down to 17 might be hard....

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Good to see another father "breaking" in their child to the joys of shooting and hunting. Agree you have to help them find the round that suits them and brings them up enjoying the sport(s).

Funny thing is, I consider the 6mm Remington my (then) 14 y/o used to take his first deer to be more punishing than my 308 Win or Mosins, but he prefers it.

If you would make a 7.62x54r to 7.62x25 chamber insert, I'd beat a path to your door to buy one! What a fun Mosin plinker that would be!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

On the 17 cal gas port issue, would two smaller holes do the trick? One in front of the other or perhaps angled off bore centerline kind of like a V2 engine?

Feedback Score

biggun,
    all that I have read up on using a .223 sabot on a x25 it will fly down range but will just miss the brod side of a barn. do a surch on the web. that way you save a barrel.
    muttman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Biggun, you know I love you like a brother, right? why you yelling?

I think necking down to 17 might be hard....
    not yelling just to stupid or lazy or blind to turn of the cap lock sorry to all AGAIN.

not sure if I could get to down to 17 or not it was just me thinling out loud.
    Good to see another father "breaking" in their child to the joys of shooting and hunting. Agree you have to help them find the round that suits them and brings them up enjoying the sport(s).

Funny thing is, I consider the 6mm Remington my (then) 14 y/o used to take his first deer to be more punishing than my 308 Win or Mosins, but he prefers it.

If you would make a 7.62x54r to 7.62x25 chamber insert, I'd beat a path to your door to buy one! What a fun Mosin plinker that would be!

I killed my first buck with my grandmothers 244 remington pump at about 200 yards. its identical to a 6mmbut with a slower twist barrel. damm good round.

I wouldnt be suprised if there isnt already a chamber addapter made for 7.625 in the russian and other .30,s if not there should be. Im not going to shoot that corrosive stuff in my good guns however.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

biggun,
    all that I have read up on using a .223 sabot on a x25 it will fly down range but will just miss the brod side of a barn. do a surch on the web. that way you save a barrel.
    muttman
    MY 7.62x39 sabot loads were really bad Im talking 2 foot groups at 100 yards. I was told that using heavier bults like the 77 grain stuff works better.. I should just build him a 22-250 on a mauser action and then load plinkers for it. that way he can use it for P dogs in a few years. other than the 10-22 Im avoiding auto loaders for him untill he gets bigger. I have been using those colbri subsonic loads in the 10-22 they dont cycle the action that way he just cycles it by hand and there quieter than a pellet gun.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    On the 17 cal gas port issue, would two smaller holes do the trick? One in front of the other or perhaps angled off bore centerline kind of like a V2 engine?
    Actually I remember 1biggun talking about this with his .17 caliber AK, I think it was going to be 3 gas ports, all in a groove in the rifling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.