scratch build 7.62x25 on ak reciver blow back - Page 10
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: scratch build 7.62x25 on ak reciver blow back

Feedback Score

big gun,
    how did you get the 13/32" end mill? my supply house does not have nor will get one, I have found some on line or mcmastercarr but I need to spend so mutch to get it shipped or more $$ to ship. muttman

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I measured a suomi bolt and the reduced bolt face is .406", and like you said a pps-43 is .402" so you have some wiggle room to play with. I had thought about chucking the bolt up in the lathe and using a 3/8" end mill to make a plunge cut to about the finished depth. Then offset the tailstock until I have the bolt face opened up to .402"-.406". That way I could use a cheaper and easier to obtain 3/8" end mill I already have.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Xxxx
    Last edited by 1biggun; 05-20-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Feedback Score

Guys,
    If your experimental 7.62x25mm bolt is a small thing like an AK bolt... use a lathe to machine the recessed face and fireing pin opening. A 3/8 inch or smaller end mill can be set up in the lathe tool holder like a boring bar. With a cutting edge (tip) horizontal (toward you) you can use it like a boring bar to open up the bolt face as needed.

Off-setting the bolt in say a 4-jaw chuck (or production fixture) will allow drilling or plunge milling an ejector-plunger hole using your lathe and the above type tool holder.

VD

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Im building from square stock or possably rectangular. there will not be on lathe work on it.

how ever if I was doing a round bolt like a ak with a stem Id use differant meathods. for 8 bucks the end mill will still work in the lathe. if I only had a lathe the above meathod would work but to be honest Id likely just do it in a drill press for the ejector plunger hole. every thing Im proposing could be done in a drill press for that matter. a end mill in a press would easly cut the bolt face.

Feedback Score

Take care using an endmill cutter in a drill dress !!!! A custom reground spotface bit would be stable in a drill press as those have a center anchor drill bit.

For bolt guide rail slots I would suggest using a slitting saw type mill cutter in an arbor in your vertical mill rather than a tiny endmill bit. That slitting saw will produce a nice smooth groove. These cutters resemble a small round saw blade. A small horizontal mill would be ideal to use for this process.

VD

Feedback Score

viper dude,
    you are getting way over on the checkbook, a slitting saw would be ideal but the cost for a 1-3 time thing would not work for me. the cheeper thing would be a woodruff key cutter for the size rail he ( biggun) is planning on. muttman

Feedback Score

Hello muttman.
    A woodruff key cutter can certainly cut the slots. They aren't cheap either. I have purchased used tooling at a place in Detroit called Kitts Surplus when living in Michigan. Nothing like it here in Arizona (no rust, no belt either ...). I recall paying about $1.oo each years ago for small surplus slitting saw cutters. Woodruff key cutters were a few times more.

One other slotting process is to use a small diameter abrasive disc or stack of discs either on an arbor with a beefy drill press or in an angle grinder. The angle grinder will need a small guide fence (steel bar) clamped to the work to ensure a nice straight cut. The work is held in a vise of course.

One other method to make smooth slots is with a horizontal metal shaper machine. Those use a cutter like a lathe bit ground to your needs. Small shaper machines are regaining popularity these days. There is a batch of N.I.B little Southbend bench top shapers (8) being auctioned by "Government Surplus" in Texas. The only bid I saw was for $150.oo for one. They are cute little machines.

VD

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Xxxxcc
    Last edited by 1biggun; 05-20-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Xxxcc
    Last edited by 1biggun; 05-20-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.